Freezing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Marisa, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Hello,
    I'm experiencing freezes that make this sim unplayable for me.
    They usually last about 3 seconds and I can hear the game audio still running. FFB also keeps working.
    I end up in the wall or other cars most of the time because of this.
    I updated to the newest Nvidia driver and it made it even worse, got complete lockups, had to alt+F4 rF2.
    I reverted back and first thought things are fine now but then got the 3 second freezes again.
    I use a GTX 1080 with the v. 431.60 driver, a i7 6700k and a CV1 Oculus Rift so performance really shouldn't be an issue.
    I can play every other sim/game just fine, it's just rF2 where I experience these freezes.
    I only have these freezes since the most recent rF2 update.
    Not sure if this is related to the physics freezes that have a dedicated thread since it's the video that freezes up for me.

2. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

I am experiencing the same thing ever since the last update as well unfortunately.

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Check the event viewer for errors at the time stamp the freezes happened, it may give you a clue as to what is playing up.

4. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Good Idea, will do next time a freeze happens.
    Edit: Looked through the events and didn't see anything suspicious.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Do you use a Nvidia or AMD card?
    Edit: nvm. Looked you up, you also have a Nvidia card.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

No I’ve switched to a 5700 xt

7. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

instead of asking back and forth - why dont you fill out your signature with specs ?

and as mentioned in discord already: with an error like that, update ALL board drivers to exclude that there is a problem with the last updates/drivers. if there are new ones oc

8. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Good, so that means it's not the graphics driver.

9. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Alrighty, had another freeze. Had Open Hardware Monitor running to see if there is something weird going on but everything looked normal, temps were ok and no CPU spikes. Event viewer also didn't show anything suspicious, no crashed video driver. I think it's clear at this point that the issue lies with rF2 and not my hardware (it's the only sim/game giving me issues so that's no surprise tbh).
    Took a look at the replay and the car isn't freezing there so it's not physics related freezes that have been reported. Is there any way to create a log that could help?
    Edit: Set FFB to use it's own thread before playing today, didn't help.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    ebeninca likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's likely a combination of your hardware (and settings) and rF2, yes. Can't be just rF2 or everyone would have it.

How often are these happening? Are you running at stock clocks or overclocking? Have you tried without VR to see if it's any different? Have you cleaned your drivers using DDU?

(and regarding drivers - after a clean driver install are you leaving everything standard?)

11. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Roughly every 15 to 20 minutes. I cleaned up the Nvidia drivers with DDU, only thing I changed after that was to set power management mode to adaptive. CPU isn't overclocked but I have Intel turbo boost or whatever it's called on so it overclocks to 4.2ghz when needed. Will try without VR to see if it makes a difference.

12. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

create own profile for RF2 and max power plz.

David Kolody likes this.
  13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For the purposes of testing try disabling turbo boost, and hyperthreading. Years ago there were apparent links between those and timing issues, less so now but worth a test if nothing else helps.

@Marisa Sorry, you can probably mostly disregard this one. I got my threads confused, thought this was regarding micro freezes :) (graphics freezes are less likely to be CPU related)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  14. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Thx, will try this weekend. Had 2 20 minute sessions today without VR and had no freezes. But maybe they are just less frequent in 2D, will do more sessions in 2D to make sure.

ebeninca likes this.