AI performance, should it be the same everywhere?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Sep 28, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I constantly see posts about new cars that mention either the car vs AI is too slow or too fast. They will state, for instance, that @105% the AI drive away from me. Even though I compete against other cars @ 105%. I have two questions:
    1 Should the AI ALWAYS perform the same at every track?
    2. Why do developers include adjustable AI percentages when nobody ever adjusts them?

2. lagg

lagg Registered

I adjust the percentage

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1. In theory that would be best but it's a lot of work, i certainly would prefer it that way personally.

2. I do

Filip likes this.
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

1 Professional racer variance is +/- 1%, so that's an acceptable range for myself vs. the AI.
    2. I do

5. tpw

tpw Registered

I used to be precious about always trying to compete at 100%, thinking that things were only truly "fair" between me and the AI at that difficulty. Gradually I worked out that in rF2 and nearly all sims (AMS a notable exception for me), there's such a huge variation in AI performance between tracks, between vehicle classes, and in different weather, that the only way to compete without total frustration is to ride that bloody AI difficulty slider hard. My idea of "fair" is that if I'm competing against AI in the same vehicle as me at 100%, they just shouldn't streak away from me on a long straight, or I shouldn't streak away from them. This is clearly not the case, even with S397 official content:
    • Massive difference in AI ability between S397 GT3 and GTE cars with ostensibly similar aids and performance. I have to turn GTE AI down by 10% to be competitive.
    • AI who clearly drive with full assists when the player gets none - I'm looking at you Porsche GT3 Cup.
    • Significant differences between AI ability at different tracks e.g. Zandvoort (easy) vs Sebring (hard).
    These differences can be significant with official S397 content, really significant for a lot of ISI content, and absolutely out of control for some mod vehicles and tracks. I don't think it's ever going to improve, with the continued focus on eSport/online. At least rF2 has a per car/track difficulty setting :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Hocician likes this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Can't remember where it was, think it was Snetterton in the Clio and even at 120% I was three seconds a lap faster than the AI.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

1. It should in some ideal world, but it never does, in any of the sims I've driven. The only way you could have one number work consistently is if the AI was actually using "rubber banding" (hate to use that term), or some form of learning, which is what an AI should actually be doing in 2019, but none of the sims do it well.

2. If you are racing without adjusting the number, you must somehow have been really lucky with having selected tracks that had "just" the right paced AI. In general, it varies from track to track, so it's impossible for one number to work across a broad range of circuits.

8. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

1) Only in an ideal world. In my experience they don't.
    2) I do if planning any kind of race vs AI which I don't often do. For example I was doing a 1991 season/s using the historical performance mod and starting a "career" at the back of the grid in the slower cars. I started at 100% but would adjust it if needed to make me within 1 sec of my team mate. That worked our really well as I would jump him at the start or in the stops but would struggle to beat faster cars. In that season I also gave the AI a learning opportunity at each track.

9. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Anyone else being dusted by AI in Nordschleife?

Yesterday I did some laps with Radical GT3 and I was 15 bloody seconds slower than AIs. I get myself onboard in some AI car and they drive like there is no tomorrow every corner, almost and sometimes indeed putting wheels on the grass.

AFAIK to drive like that in Nords would be a death sentence, but they don't usually crash and lap unrealistic fast times.

10. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/track-aiws.64102/

In this post are some itineraries to find specific KI settings, as well as some general player.JSON entries that should make the behavior of the AI much more realistic. So far I have had very good experiences with the changed player.JSON entries. Everything else you can indeed customize the menu in KI settings even more.

11. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Not really, but have currently the AI on 95% and 75% aggression on the 24h track. Didn’t try higher yet. Do notice they are a lot slower during the night, which is strange and a bit annoying.
    What settings do you use and what is your laptime?

Still it differs indeed a lot per track. On e.g. Assen you can easily put it at 110%. It’s jut a matter of finding the right spot.