How much RAM is needed for 60 AI + high quality graphics + rain + sunset?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DrivingFast, Oct 1, 2019.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hello.

I want to use rF2 in all weather conditions, at all times, with time scale, graphics in ultra but that I would be ready to drop so that it stays smooth including lowering AI visible, and especially by systematically putting on all the tracks a maximum number of AI in multiclass (60 for Le Mans, Sebring, Nürburgring for example).

I give you the configuration of my future PC, knowing that what worries me is whether the amount of RAM DDR4 will be sufficient (16 GB) or if it is imperative that I buy 32 GB.

PC :

- i5 9600K probably with 5.2 Ghz OC
    - Asus Prime Z390-A
    - Corsair Vengeance Low Profile LPX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL14
    - MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO.

Tell me what you think, especially about the amount of RAM that it is necessary to run 60 AI.

Important :
    I use VR.

Thank you !

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Each AI car will consume about 50 MB of VRAM (this is from 2018 when I tested it the last time). For a safety margin, I suggest you add 10 MB more to that number. Then you have the track itself, which for Nordschleife full settings exceeds 4 GB VRAM of my GPU, so I don't have an exact number, but let's say at most 5 GB. Rain and sunset shouldn't itself add more VRAM as it's using the existing textures, which are already loaded.

I'm often more concerned about VRAM than RAM to be honest, because typically the GPU has much less RAM than the system. But with 16 GB RAM, you still have easily room for maximum number of AI, unless those AI come with 8k textures :).

3. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

Nords with full circuit detail and 25 ai ( senna lmps and gtes) with high opponent detail, on 1080p aa level 3, vram is 5900mb on my 6gb gtx1060, same settings on lemans is 5400mb vram

Gpu usage is about %60 but norsd stutters likes hell

I have 8gb ddr3 1600mhz cl10 rams,

the first lap run, the ram usage starts from 7000mb and goes down to 5000mbs, but pagefile usage is reached 19500mbs and i think that cause stutters

On nords i guess 8gb system ram is not enough, on Second lap run on track, the fps is acceptle all the time 75fps almost.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

System Ram, really you can't be wrong with 16+. 32 would be even better, but it's the Video Ram that probably most impacted by large fields. I have an older vid card, RX480, but it has 8megs of vram and I think that lets rF2 play smoother than what others have reported over the years. Heck my entire system is now at the bottom of recommended configurations but that extra Vram saves day.
    I don't know if any motherboards are out yet with that 4.0 bus, that might be a huge benefit to rF2.

5. RockShark

RockShark Registered

I also use VR. When leMans was released I tried running with about 60 ai but the system would crash. I tried loading one ai at a time and found the crashing was related to the number of ai.
    I could load more in monitor mode (1920x1080) than I could in VR. I think it was around 30 in vr and 50 in monitor mode. Windows 10 was set to manage page file but it was always about 2gb.
    I manually increased the page file to 8gb and could load more ai so I decided to increase the ram from 16 to 32. I have 8gb 1070ti card. I can now run 50 in VR and could probably go higher. In monitor mode I got to 70 and stopped testing.
    I have oculus, steam and steam vr, crew chief, team speak, joy to key and rf2 all running.
    I suggest you try adding one ai at a time to find the limit and increase if necessary.

DrivingFast likes this.
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

The only reason you get a crash in 64-bit mode after adding X number of AI is if you run into the page file limit. You wrote the issue got fixed when you increased the page file size, which suggests it was wrongly set. Windows 10 when set to auto will increase the page file size as needed, so that it will never cause a crash.

For complex reasons related to virtual memory and the way memory is allocated, the page file should almost never be set manually in 2019 anymore, but lots of people keep doing it from old habit. With a properly set page file, 16 GB of RAM is enough.

ekki likes this.
  7. RockShark

RockShark Registered

I agree, that’s how it is supposed to work. For some reason mine would not make it bigger than 2gb when windows managed. I have a 20gb partition just for the page file. Increasing the page file manually let me add more AI.

JimmyT likes this.
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I can post a pic when I'm back to my PC showing over 10GB VRam and 9GB system Ram with 43 Ai max settings at 4k. Not sure if that helps but it is what i see quite often.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hi.

How many AI ?

There are many vram.
    I have only 8 gb (gtx 1080).

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Hey Mate,

43 Ai. I like an even number and 44 cars total sounds nice.
    I have a 1080ti so it's maxed and 16GB system RAM.

DrivingFast likes this.
  13. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The question is how many different vehicles you want to add?
    For example if you load a track with a Porsche GT3 and then add another Porsche GT3 (same car, different skin), VRAM usage will only increase marginally. But if you add a new car, let's say a Merc GT3, VRAM usage will increase quite a lot. The next Mercs you add, will again need a lot less VRAM.
    So as long as you don't want to add many different cars but only lots of skins, you should be able to add AI until your CPU dies.

DrivingFast likes this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

In the pic showing 11GB VRam I have at least 2 of each GTE, GT3, LMP/Reiza Prototypes plus a few Cup cars and even some BTCC.
    In the previous pic it was all Cup cars.