SOLVED Unable to load Nordschleife, ran out of VRAM.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by xAcid9, Oct 9, 2019.

1. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Hi,

I just bought the new Nurburgring track but everytime i try to load a private practice session or race it always exceed my GPU video memory.

[​IMG]

My PC spec is:
    i7-3770
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    GTX 980 Ti 6GB

I tried a "minimal re-install" but problem still persist. GP track is loadable but even that already use like 5GB of my graphic card VRAM. Does the track really require such high amount of VRAM?

2. Week

Week Registered

I run it with a 4670, 16 gb ddr3 RAM and a 980 ti strix without any problem. In fact, it's very well optimized.

xAcid9 likes this.
  3. Nibo

Nibo Registered

xAcid9, I sometimes get that memory error on this track with 10+ AI, but I have 8GB of RAM. If I change track detail in settings to Low or Medium I can load more AI. Try loading without AI. Also make sure your system has enough virtual memory (probably best to set page file size to "system managed").

xAcid9 and Lazza like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@xAcid9 are you sure the game is using your GPU, and not some onboard chip or similar?

Also check your virtual memory settings. Don't limit it or take it away completely.

xAcid9 likes this.
  5. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

There is no performance issue when i'm able to load the GP track just that the amount of VRAM needed to load the track is simply too high. Can you check your VRAM usage when loading Nords? You can use GPU-Z sensors tab.

I'll try that after work. I did set 9 AI but it still failed to load even without any other softwares running in the background except windows services.

6. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

Damn sir, you're still active here. No i'm sure it used my GTX card, that MSI Afterburner graph confirmed it.

I did limit the pagefile to 8GB though, will set it to system managed after work and try again.

7. Week

Week Registered

I've just tried Nords + porsche cup + 30 ai, sunny weather 16:30 pm, without any issue. MSI afterburner shows me 6,1 gb VRAM usage (i don't understand why this 0,1 more...) and 10,2 gb RAM usage. I've also tried with just 19 AI and it shows me 5,4 VRAM and 8,6 RAM usage.

I'm using oculus CV1, i don't know if it affects memory usage...

xAcid9 likes this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I think the minimum of the page file should be 1.5x your RAM so you got that setting wrong, rF2 uses a lot of it, I had 8gb RAM and manually set the virtual one to 12gb here, it became better than letting the system manage it but starting the PC was super slow after doing that. If I was going to race Nords I'd definitely set it to be 2x of the RAM tho

9. Filip

Filip Registered

I don't think there is any fiddling with page file of whatever needed.
    My Win 10 laptop is worse in every aspect than OP pc (except 16GB RAM too) and no problem loading Nords with 12 AI.
    Could be that by default I have large page file but I doubt it.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Will Mazeo any recommendation for virtual ram as a multiplier of ram should be ignored. People with less ram need more virtual ram to run the same programs. These days windows manages it fine almost always and should be left to do it.

xAcid9 likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Disagree, it worked here and helped rF2 big time, way less stutters with bigger grids. I noticed that system managed would stay around 3~4gb but when I set it manually whenever I started rf2 with 40 car grid it would use from 6 to 9 gb.
    I post from my experience, if yours is different it's fine too.
    Just dont forget we are talking about rF2 and this software cant be compared to most others really when it's about doing weird stuff. It's an extra option that is worth a try, IMO.

Lazza and RockShark like this.
  12. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

I changed my pagefile to another SSD and it work fine this time, even with 4GB max limit. Not sure if my other SSD is dying, speed and everything else look fine.

Thanks guys.
    Thanks for testing, i get similar result as well. 6GB VRAM usage, 10+GB system RAM.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yeah, good call actually. I threw in an "almost always" even as I typed my post, I do recall someone seeing an improvement (maybe you!) and I do know of rare instances where it needs to be pushed higher to make some software happy.

There are old wives tales about setting it to some multiple (since the 90s) and it never made sense generally, I've answered your post in that context instead of regarding rF2 performance.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

You set the page file manually and after that the game started using more page file? Doesn't make any sense to me and it would actually be a bad thing, because the game should always use system RAM if available, not page file. If you specified a lower limit of the page file manually, then obviously it would never go below that number. It doesn't mean the game uses all of it though.

But if you for example put the initial page file to 4 GB and maximum 12 GB, then you would still have Windows deciding the right size between those two limit values, so it would still essentially be the same as having an automatic page file.

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Tell that to S397.
    I'm telling my experience if you doubt it's not really a problem, it's not like I care. If you got 8gb do a test, here it helped a lot, the game got more stable, less stutters. I did it after seeing someone else reporting improvements.
    I'd only let it auto for playing rF2 if I had 32gb RAM, maybe then the game wont use much page file. But it's rF2, who knows what this thing would do.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The title was changed to [Solved] What, and how was it solved? could help others down the line.

sherpa25 likes this.
  17. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Perhaps it was the change to another SSD (post #12)?

18. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

I changed my pagefile to another SSD, everything load fine after that even with 30+ AI

davehenrie likes this.
  19. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JimmyT while I did see that one I think I remember one from months ago. There was definitely a mention of performance, not of crashing.

*I think it's worth saying, it gets that response because it's generally not good or useful advice. More often crashes are traced to people limiting their virtual memory, or disabling it completely, then failing to keep track of their actual memory requirements and not noticing they've run out.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019