How does tankslappers work ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

y'all mind if I set loose a wrench monkey into this conversation ??
    anybody considered the Minimum Torque setting on your controller as a potential driver on this phenomenon (almost spelled that right) ??
    I remember iRacing had a page to compare sampled data & my T500 showed, among other things, a 12.5% Minimum Torque, where the data just turns into mud, that is where it's just to hard to distinguish below that level.

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think steering inputs, tyre's slip/grip curves and vehicles rotational inertia around it's center of mass are important aspects here.
    If you have a car with low rotational inertia, tyres with steep grip drop off, in a slide and you steer front tires pointing straight to the direction of travel, the car can quickly pick up rotational speed to opposite direction and "tank slap".

mantasisg likes this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Moe Faster It could have a bit of effect, if it delays drivers reactions. I have T300, for me setting is between 1-3% iiric.

@Korva7 Thats right. Those are probably the most important factors. Especially inertia. It directly changes how fast vehicle is changing directions. I have a Costin Nathan car in Woochoo's 1967 Endurance cars mod, have been working on it a bit recently. It is very twitchy, it is small, mid engine, and weights only 400 kg ! Cars like Porsche 550, Tyota MR2... Formula Vee and so on, will all inevitably going to be twitchy, as well as most other a bit bigger and heavier mid or rear engine cars too.

I notice that physics creators often use car dimensions as basis for inertia calculations, when in fact inertia box should be smaller, because mass in the car isn't distributed evenly through its volume, and second - it is of course not a box. Except if it is a van, but still van has a lot of empty volume inside.

Most moddern supercars are very heavy, so that increases their inertia. As a result driver is not challenged as much, because car won't snap faster than he can react, well usually.. F1 cars even though are not heavy, are very long, so that increases their intertia, if 2020 F1 will be shorter and with lower profile tires, then we should see quite a bit more of twitching and wobbles.

Tires obviously does their job. iRacing has messed up their Lotus 49 completely by putting on stickier tire, for a car that should have an older kind of tire which forgives a bit more error in inputs, the sharp modern tire absolutely kills the car, biggest incompetence of iRacing. IIRIC there is one big constant tankslapper in iRacing that car :D

Korva7 likes this.
  4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

What is a tank lapper?

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is something that you haven't paid attention in every post in this thread that was posted up till now.

Edit:

stupid me.... thanks for noting me that there is a typo in a title :D

Remco Majoor likes this.
  6. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I have to be honest, I was thinking about posting that for weeks now hahaha

mantasisg likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not ironic, it's just leverage.

mantasisg likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

1:25-1:35 Check it out how fast is that, of course not a tankslapper, but would be if Alesi would have a steer angle wrong in matters of miliseconds.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I remember you (mantasisg) talking on some thread about the ffb during oversteer.
    That video reminded me about that the gyroscopic stability of the front tires might add a force trying to keep tires from turning with the car when the rear steps out.

In ac there was a option for the gyro effect but it didn't work right. It just added damping to ffb as speed increased, actually making the front tires turn with the car, instead of keeping them straight.

10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes that must be in effect too, along with other effects that brings in steering effort.

P. S. I need to link this thread with that other one, this one is like subthread of it.

11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Found some good ones:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Honestly, I have never had such idea. Now I am going to map pause button on my wheel :D

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

"can't wait to buy a corvette"

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Porsches are especially interesting