[REL] RF2 Audio Overhaul 1.3 (Final)

Discussion in 'Other' started by doddynco, Sep 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Very cool mate, does this affect internal and external audio i.e. replays or just cockpit?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I was focused on getting the cockpit audio sounding right, but It will have changed the outboard audio (only as a consequence from the mixed being balanced from the cockpit view). I didn't hear anything out of key from the external cams, but yeh I wasn't really paying much attention to that. Unfortunately the sound mixing is very limited, so internal/extenal aren't separate channels) but hey ho.

Audio should really be high on the list for s397, it's quite clear it's been neglected. However, I don't think we need a 'new sound engine' like people are suggesting (far too much existing content would need to be rebuilt - it would be an absolute ordeal and I really don't think the audio engine needs to be completely rebuilt to get RF2 sounding excellent. The best thing they could do now would be to provide separate sliders for all of the audio channels; every single one (engine/transmissionwhine/gearshift/backfire/wind/roadnoise/crowd/wildlife/weather/ect...) and allow the user to mix (and save) them per vehicle/track - like the way seat/mirror position works - into a config/txt file. Someone could easily go through every vehicle/track, mix the audio and save it to a config file for sharing. So much potential but so many hidden parameters.

As well as a full audio mixer as described above, s397 should add three things: a cockpit reverb - the modder/car builder would create the reverb parameters (size/decay/filters) and the user would be able to mix it freely; an option for driver earplugs (pretty much just a lowpass filter on the final mix); and an adjustable compressor on the final mix.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

Hey mate, i have tested your configuration, is very good, but i can volume up the motor? Were is this parameter?

5. tyressin

tyressin Registered

If you would have also uploaded it here, it would have sounded even better /s

6. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

this is real car min 3:21

7. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

mmmm in the replay the sound is perfect..... mmmmmm

8. Beef36

Beef36 Registered

Nice work!

The sound is good but I too upped my car engine's sound. I think you'd set it to 28% or so and I upped mine to around 50%.

Regardless you did a lot of good work here and I changed mine just for personal taste.

Cheers

Liuke44 likes this.
  9. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Very good work! However, after some tests with different vehicles, the engine noise in the standard setting was a bit too quiet for me personally. Likewise the tire noise. But you can adjust all parameters to his taste.

10. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Cheers for the feedback guys. I've made a small update: Engine is now 36%, tyres at 72%. Nothing else has changed. Tested with plenty of cars so it should give a pretty good all round setting. Just had some laps in the Porsche from the Group C mod and that sounded noiiice.

The engine (motor) volume can be changed in game or in the config file.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  11. Liuke44

Liuke44 Registered

yea guys i know now!! ;)

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Does this add anything or just balance the levels?

13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It changes the way wind/road noise and kerb sound is generated, changing how their frequency and volume reacts to speed. Tyres sound slightly differently at high slip angles and the reverb is more pronounced.

Ernie likes this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thanks, i installed this but don't like it so returned to standard, although I used the reverb settings only and I don't mind it like that.

15. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Registered

Thanks for this! I've been having a "washing machine" type sound with the Senna and this has corrected it. Plus I can now hear other sounds that I never knew were there. Only thing I needed to change was the engine volume reduction setting from 0.5 to 0.2, it was getting just a bit too quiet at high speed.

Cheers!! :D

16. Filip

Filip Registered

Hi, if you could upload video with new Senna sound it would be nice :D
    I am thinking of buying that car but underwhelming engine sound from youtube videos puts me off.

makan likes this.
  17. Week

Week Registered

It would be nice to have a video comparing standard sound and moded sound. Maybe it would make people more interested in.

makan, Flinty72 and Filip like this.
  18. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Yeh that's a good idea. I'm working on the next version - once it's done I'll do a comparison video.

Ernie likes this.
  19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Does any one know any tracks which have thunder when the weather is stormy?

v1.2 is up now. Just some small changes to the mix - the main one being that rain is now balanced.

Corti and makan like this.
  20. doddynco

doddynco Registered

A final update - this is as good as it will get before S397 take a good look at the sound and either; a) give me access to more sound settings, and the ability to save the mix for each vehicle, or b) sort it out themselves.

The official content, even the new stuff, has very unbalanced sound. It is a real shame because it seems to me like they have done an excellent job recording and acquiring samples.

I will make a comparison video soon showing the difference between the default settings and this.

Changes to mix:
    • Track side sounds were a little too loud.
    • Overall mix was a bit quiet.
    • No further changes necessary - at least until there are RF2 updates which affect sound.