Porsche GT3 Cup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Inactive user 0001, Sep 27, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

By how much are you slower in the GTE RSR?

Cyril Cherry likes this.
  2. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Help! LF setup for Sebring :)

Cyril Cherry likes this.
  3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I'm going to test that today. Im still learning this version of the track so these times aren't to be taken as precise! and had quite a few screen freezes too. The freezes seem to have improved since I updated my GPU drivers. ( Thats excuses done then!)
    Yesterday I did on tbe Nord 24 hr layout:
    911 GT3 Cup, 100 litres 8m:55
    911 GT3 RS, 100 lit MED tyre 8:43. 100 lit SOFT 8:35
    Aston Martin GT3 120 lit SOFT 8:35
    EDIT: Porsche RSR GTE 8:35.85 90 litres SOFT tyres.
    The McLaren lap was on the Combined layout 8:49 so deduct 15 sec for an approx 8:34 but low fuel (a positive) and first few laps ( a negative). Ill prob drive the Macca again too with the 100 litres.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

With all respect to your driving, Nords isn't a great track for comparing cars. No lap's ever perfect, but it's so much harder to approach perfection at such a long track.

5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I can only give a tip to the Porsche Cup: Practice practicing and practice again.

I once read the following wisdom in a forum in my early days:
    Practice until the doctor comes. Then continue practicing because the doctor is there. Then continue practicing because the doctor is gone again!
    The car is a pig! but I love such challenges.
    After 3 weekends practicing, I finally managed to keep up with the Puma GTE on 100% against the AI on Magione and Kicevo. This chapter is finally closed.

Now comes the Porsche Cup vs. Nürburgring GP. I do not dare to go to the NoS with the pig yet. Without ABS you can not fully press the brake. Rather easily pump. By pressing, release slightly until the blocking point, then press again. And the brake always release gentle. The needed exercise is feasible for everyone.

Nicki Thiim himself says about the Porsche Cup:
    Who can drive the thing can drive everything.

Not for nothing, the Cup has been in existence for 30 years.
    It is the elite school for upcoming and talented GT riders .

During setup, it is sufficient only to adjust the brake and the brake balance. Then fall the rear and the rear rather neutral. Determine the tire pressure via Motec. The rest is pure exercise.
    Edit: And do not forget the camber angle!

Ballet dancing on the pedals .

(Sry for my bad English guys..)

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Jumped in .lapped nords and really enjoy it , seems quite a raw driving experience, no issue with steering ratio ,felt good. Couple of times l pushed too hard and lost the car and l think for the 1st time in a sim the car slide sideways for a few hundred meters, didn’t spin in circles .. l can’t recall that before in any sim. Nice Job S397. Sounds very good btw , has that deep bass boom to it through the Forrest

7. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Default is a joke. My changes are preload at max, wing at 7, ARB at 3/3, pressures at 135/130, camber at -4.5/-4.2. Did a 6:54,0 with 50 liters of fuel and tyre wear at Nordschleife and guess i can cut off some seconds. This car is awesome and by far the best Porsche Cup in Sim-Racing:)

8. bwana

bwana Registered

6:54 . Wow lm slow

9. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

I don't understand the criticism of this vehicle. A cup-car is very different from a gt3. The brakes are steel discs and do not have the performance of carbon brakes. The cup has downforce only through its rear wing. Of course you can't drive through the curves like with a GT3. I find the car grandios converted by 397. And at the sound one can still do something.

Great job from studio 397.

10. BoskaPongen

BoskaPongen Registered

Yes, its a common misunderstanding with GT3 Cup car vs GT3-R racecar. The cup car is basically a road car you can buy from Porsche. It has its own series IRL.

11. Filip

Filip Registered

I don't understand the criticism too.
    Car is loose but predictable. Quite a refreshment after all those GT3's.
    And sounds are great, very dynamic, specifically revs falling are excellent and immersive.

12. David O'Reilly

Lazza I'm not so sure about that.
    I'm not an alien but over the last few years I have done a lot of testing at the Nords for various races. Hundreds and hundreds of laps. It's very early days for me at this version of the ring but on the previous version when refining a setup with my team we have gotten to consistency margins of less than 0.5 sec. IE I can do a stint and have 5 laps within 0.5 sec.
    Then with a setup change find it is either faster or slower by say 2 seconds and doing that time consistently for 5 laps. Or maybe its tyre wear that improves.
    We might for example have one guy who is performing at consistently 1.5 sec faster than another guy.
    I can look at the lap time delta and see where time is being eroded or gained.
    I just finished comparing 2 laps on Motec (courtesy of your plugin thank you) and monitoring where a setup change found me 2 seconds. In the faster stint my 2 laps were 8:35.85 and 8:35.90 so a delta of 5 hundredths.

When the community that became P1 Racing first started out a group of very good drivers BOP'd the ISI GT cars :Nissan GTR GT1, Corvette GT2 and Camaro GT3 to converge at the Camaros pace. They did an excellent job and the pace was spot on.

In the real world manufacturers test and refine cars at the Nords. They measure its lap time to "compare" with other cars.

So I respect your posts and knowledge a lot but in my view with enough laps under your belt you can have enough consistency to make a call on a setups pace and it then follows a cars pace.

Maybe its not perfection but still not a bad benchmark?
    At any rate I'm having fun.

pkelly and bwana like this.
  13. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Real Gt3 cars have steel brakes too
    And the question is why the brake force is set to 81 percent when even with 100 percent brake locking is nearly impossible. That setting increases the brake distance without any reason. The brake power is simply to low

14. David O'Reilly

I have to differ I'm afraid. The 911 GT3 RS which is what we drive in RF2 does not have steel brake discs.
    https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/911-gt3-models/911-gt3-rs/featuresandspecs/
    It does seem the RSR GTE however does have steel brakes, 390 mm front discs vs 380 mm on the GT3 Cup.
    Both the RSR and the RS have more drag due to aero and would brake a little better due to that. The Cup has the least aero and least drag so highest top speed on Dottinger Hoe (292 kph, vs appr 275 for GTE and 280 for RS).

The brake force is adjustable so just adjust it.

15. goderxi

goderxi Registered

16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

So with me the brakes definitely block with too much pedal pressure.
    You should increase the brake sensitivity in the control menu of RF2.
    Do you set the sensitivity to 0?

Which pedals do you have?
    Possibly recalibrate the pedals in the main menu of your steering wheel and also recalibrate in the RF2 menu.

Best regards.

17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

The RS is the model Porsche needs to get the GT license at all, you know you have to sell an amount of street cars. It is a street car. I don´t believe we have a RS. Cup, R and RSR probably, Cup as entry model in motorsports, R for serious GT3 competition and RSR for GTE

18. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Wow if it's true, then kudos to you. You must've practiced quite a lot on Nords.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    David O'Reilly likes this.
  19. slatanek

slatanek Registered

Let's make something clear since the naming gets confusing very quickly:
    911 GT3-R (not RS) is the GT3-class Porsche available in rf2;
    911 RSR is the GTE/GTLM-class racecar available in rf2;
    911 GT3 Cup is a spec series racecar that has nothing to do with the GT3-class;

Now for the brakes: I believe the GT3 as well as the Cup both use steel discs. However the GT3's use ABS so the whole braking system is different to that of the Cup. The steel discs cool down pretty quickly (in the GT3's I'd imagine this is somewhat obscured by the feroucious speeds and aggressive braking due to the use of ABS - u basically stomp on the brakes and that's it) hence the braking performance especially initially is not optimal (there's no bite to the brake). At the end of the braking zone however u have to ease off the brakes otherwise lockup will occur. So watching the onboards I would say it's quite realistic - the braking distances in the Cup cars are relatively long.

AK1504 likes this.
  20. David O'Reilly

Yes it can get confusing.
    To my knowledge you are correct except for the "GT3 R". I think it's GT3 RS.
    I haven't heard of GT3 R.