New Lighting System.. when?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fábio Martins, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

Hi Studio 397!

I would like to ask if there`s a new lighting system in your plans or in the making.

Something like SOL for Assetto Corsa.

I only drive in RF2, but one thing that always let me down, is driving at night. The lights (not only from the cars), are really weak... I don`t even know how to explain that. It just don`t give the ambience and the feeling needed. I think your team of professional developers, could do a better work than some random modder already did for ac and I think at this point, it`s more important than another car or track.

Akela_DE likes this.
  2. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

Well you have problems! Sol is partly so blended, which sometimes seems too bright. At rf2 everything is great and looks fantastic. Look at the new Nordschleife at night: Just the first cream.
    Sol and the Shaderpatch are great, no question, but the Lightengine of rf2 really does not need to hide.

pascom and mantasisg like this.
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Did you see Sim Racing Paddock's video testing the new Cup car?

Kinda embarrassing with the glowing orange cup car at night popping in and out :( He jokingly says "wow that's bright, but not in a good way".

It's at the start when he first gets on track, he then changed to day time and all was okay again.

LokiD likes this.
  4. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

Sorry, but i recommend you wear glasses.

mister dog and Akela_DE like this.
  5. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

Try Sol, at night. It`s really amazing. Way ahead of RF2 in every single way. You simple cannot defend RF2 lighting system. It`s horrible.

Also.. you can adjust the brightness/darkness level with SOL. So saying it`s too bright, is pointless. It`s just THAT good.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    rauf00 and Matías Corvino like this.
  6. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

See this:

And this is a old version It`s amazing.. so there is no point to defend RF2. Like I said now I only use RF2.

I just wish they bring the lighting system to Assetto Corsa SOL level.

rauf00 likes this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've got AC and SOL! I've tried it! I never said anything about AC or SOL or it being too bright! My post was referring to rF2 lighting.

8. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

If you guys want the sim to evolve,
    Sorry Last Jedi ;)

Well, hope the developers can one day take a look into this. It`s important.

Thank you

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Haven't you heard? Soon!

mister dog likes this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Lighting system and the rest of graphics could be a different stuff.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think everyone who makes a comment about SOL and the shader patch is well aware of how it works. It's basicly just loading different HDR profiles for different TODs or weather settings and everyone who uses rF2 long enough will have fond memories of the HDR profiles for rF2. In short: it was a mess and lead to very inconsistent graphic results with people spending more time to actually find and trade good profiles that worked great at night but crappy during day time instead of actually racing. Luckily we don't need to do that anymore and the results are pretty consistent throughout different TODs and weather condisionts, wich aren't presents as in SOL btw but fully dynamic.

Next to the fact that I would argue that it is a big problem for a sim that tries to offer competitive racing when users start to adjust brightness levels to their likings and needs. From my perspective it is actually what makes SOL and the shader patch useless for online racing. From my perspective a sim should offer a consistent visual experience for all users, leaving aside the fact that people will still tune their monitors. That's how much a sim dev can and should control.

And last but not least: I am not blind enough to see that SOL and the shader patch have their own issues. The biggest one for me are the flickering headlights and lightsources surrounding the track. This can proapbly be tweaked, but should a user really spend all the time to optimize his/her graphics to be able to race? I don't think so ...

pascom, Vanisch and mantasisg like this.
  12. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

such a nonsense ... I already have ...
    What else do you want? You should drive fast and not look like any retiree every grastexture
    weak, very weak
    what else?
    you have everything that makes a good Racesim with Rfactor:

Dynamic weather
    (Rain at Assetto Corsa ... noooo)
    Great driving physics
    Great content
    super nice circuits
    and, and, and

A company that constantly tries to make the Sim better and better
    and now one is whining here to SOL and will be personal! If I need glasses, then you should order your brain.
    You can not hear it anymore:
    Yes, then drive Assetto Corsa and good, or bring a useful criticism of the Sim, which leads to a real improvement.
    I'm not in the mood for eternal knitted patches.

because of every shit here a barrel is opened. Rfactor 2 is better than any other racing sim currently.
    If you want beautiful pictures, then buy a picture book.

Do you also think that it does not look good? What do I need SOL and the shader patch in RF2?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    pascom and Levelup1 like this.
  13. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

Of course, Assetto Corsa has become more beautiful thanks to the patches: but just patched together. It's a great job, but the Rfactor 2 lighting system fits in well without much patches.
    To label it as bad or not comparable to sol is simply nonsense

mr.Sw1tchblade and pascom like this.
  14. pascom

pascom Registered

May 2017 when DX11 was beta:

20170516222454_1.jpg

15. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

Why some complain about the graphics I can not understand. Of course there are graphically better simulations. However, a lot has already happened since the update to DX11. Most of you are more about the realism while driving, so driving physics and the resulting FFB. And there is rF2 times the best sim at the moment. If you only want to look good, you should play AC or PC2.

Levelup1, Rui Santos and Vanisch like this.
  16. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

?
    I think RF2 is the best SIM. And what`s your point?
    Where I said I only want it to look good?
    Seriously. Take 3 minutes to read the thread again.

Filip likes this.
  17. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

Adjusting the darkness of the nights in SOL are a minor stuff. And for the blinking that you`re talking about SOL, I recommend you trying in another PC or updating SOL to one of the last versions. The blinking does not exist.

Look at this again. Look at the night. Miles ahead and this was the first version of SOL.

18. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

Look at the bold text. Very true. You gave me reason, so stay calm.

The thinking "RF2 has good physics so there is no point to update the lighting or anything else" is just wrong. Good Physics are just one aspect. If you only want good physics, RF3 cars could be just squares with tyres.

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Dude, why are you arguing about what I see on my dedicated gaming PC? Adjusting brightness isn't a minor thing, it is cheating. I have watched that video and there is nothing that I haven't seen on my own. It's not fully dynamic and Jimmy even complained about too high contrasts. That you prefere it more is totaly fine, but don't tell me what I see and what I have to like.

20. Fábio Martins

Fábio Martins Registered

You talked about blinking..