AI Slip Stream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pales, May 15, 2017.

1. Pales

Pales Registered

This is going to be a very long time...

2. Pales

Pales Registered

An AI issue was addressed in the recent build but we’re still yet to receive an official acknowledgement on this thread. Such a shame, it really is.

DustySticks likes this.
  3. Pales

Pales Registered

As you're well aware from my historical responses, this is still an important issue which has yet to be addressed or even acknowledged by the developers. I just wanted to provide further feedback on this.

So as we all know, if you're driving on a straight track, the secondary car slip streaming will ALWAYS continuously break rather than pull out and go for the overtake.This is very common and occurs on both official and unofficial tracks. However, I have noticed that if you have a slight bend on the road, the AI seem to consistently pull out and go for the overtake.

I have also noticed that if a car is intending to go to the pits, it will no longer overtake any other cars until it reaches it's destination. Another immersion killer.

Will we ever get a fix for this?

DustySticks and Juergen-BY like this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Work on the AI will come in the future but not any time soon, S397 have been hard at work completing the UI and Competition System amongst other areas like the new Shaders/PBR stuff. My personal bet is once that is all up and running smoothly (Release slated for Q1 2019 according to latest Road Map) then their priorities will shift towards other areas of the Sim some time after release of those areas, whether AI will be top of that priority list is not for me to say, so I wouldn't expect any fundamental AI Fixes any time soon.

5. Pales

Pales Registered

Still bumping this for awareness. It's an overwhelming issue that needs to be addressed. It would literally make this a game changer. The AI in faster cars can already predict an overtake seconds in advanced, why cannot you revisit the AI code for similar speed vehicles to utilize slip stream rather than periodically breaking directly behind them?

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yep wonder when that ai fix will be out.. not any time soon as the future is full of gfx and UI updates.. and extra content..

suppose cant have it all yea?

Love rf2 but Raceroom provides an intense and challenging ai that attack and defend..?!

Hazi likes this.
  7. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

with Nordschleife track, the lack of slip stream for the AI is.....awfull, I don't have Lemans, and with the result in Nords, I don't want to try Lemans.....
    Sorry, but the race with AI on Nords is boring....

8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yep as I said in the discord channel.... and the reason im not buying anymore rf2 content as I play offline mostly (like most rf2 players!)

I have a lot of respect for the team and the sim but these long lasting offline issues are holding me back buying anymore content. For me its a hot lap sim and a great one at that! But for offline rf2 USED to be the best but its fallen behind probably because of esports?!

DaREALMastaD, DustySticks and ekki like this.
  9. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

I agree, even if I have every thing from s397, except Lemans, cause I don't like racing LMP......
    I agree again, rF2 has the best FFB/physics, and that's all, there is MANY MAJOR issues that ruin everything, AI brake on/off, AI slip stream, and shadows....
    I stop the list....it's sad, there is always something for ruining the experience.

Example,
    - I have bought Nordschleife, the shadows ruin all.....
    - I have bought the GT3 cup car, the optimisation ruins all...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    DustySticks likes this.
  10. DustySticks

DustySticks Registered

Not that I want to pile on, but the Porsche GT3 still has an issue with the look of the wheel, GT3 dash on the Aston GTE, position lights are in the wrong spot on the Aston GTE, GTE and I think LMP2 have an issue when the vehicle is starting from a complete stop making it abysmally slow and annoying coming out of the pits or garage because the cars over rev instantly.

When you couple these issues above, along with others, and then throw the AI issues on top of it, it really does spoil the fun and ruins the immersion of racing the AI. Offline sim racers are truly getting the short end of the stick right now with so much emphasis on multiplayer/esport

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This was meant to be a short 2 or 3 line response to the previous comments by Dusty and Alkoly, but became a grandiose, bellicose, WHAT IF. My appologies.

Wouldn't this be a wonderful time to release the UI(notice I did not say NEW) and the Competition system and then.....cease all further development UNTIL the offline game play is improved, until the myriad of small niggles are corrected(i.e. the GT3 Audi rev lights max out about 500 rpm below redline.) I would even go so far as to suggest multiple exe files. Instead of Nascar plugins, have a Nascar exe that is launched from a mini launcher before the regular game. Individual exe files could also be launched for sportscars, historics, Open wheel both road versions and Indy style ovals, shoot, even a drift exe(if the 4 drifters around the world pony up for the cost...lol) Tightly focus each exe to match the type of vehicle it represents. This would promote AI that understand a car is pitting and not to follow it, a draft that behaves differently for Huge Winged formula cars vs boxy Nascar style cars vs teeny tiny U2000 style winged open wheelers.
    With the Comp system, the leagues could all go off and play, the 100's of Silverstones could be compartmentalized, sorted, hidden, and displayed ONLY for those cars or leagues that actually use them. (yeah yeah, NO F1's at Mt Panorama) The AIW files could fit a range of GT cars and not have to also consider the way an F1 vehicle would suck it's way around an apex.(because those F1 AIW files would be properly sorted for that range of cars.)
    rF8 anyone?

Hazi likes this.
  12. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

don't you think that the UI and Comp system will have so many bugs and will need improvement ? don't you think it seems to be a endless circle....
    During this time ACC has raised the level very high, the FFB may not be at the same level, but the immersion for me is far better.....
    But stop, it's not the moment to say who is better....
    If the people are happy with rF2,it's nice, but for me, there is always something that ruins all.....it's sad but I understand Reiza and the Madness engine choice, rF2 is a bugfest....and there are not minor...
    iRacing and Raceroom are from the same era, they are old, but they give strong and good quality, rF2 has only the FFB, almost all the rest has a doubtful quality....

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  13. Pales

Pales Registered

Thanks for bumping this.

Like you have already stated, what’s the point in releasing new cars, tracks or addons, when the AI aren’t even competent enough to overtake traffic at similar speed. I purchased nords assuming we wouldn’t have to rely much on the straights for overtakes, but they’re just as cautious in corners and experience the same issues.

I will no longer be purchasing any content until this is addressed. They haven’t got long until iRacing AI is our; so they better hurry ☹️

14. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

I have replayed Raceroom with the GT3 cup car at Nords, OMG, the AI is perfect...overtake, slipstream, attack, no brake on/off....Raceroom needs the UE4....
    Like you it's my last purchase....the AI has too much issue, the graphics too.....what about the rain, we can't choose the % of rain.....I need the real Competizione :)

15. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Wait till the Raceroom AI is behind you, than you will get bumps over bumps that kick you of the road. The AI in Raceroom is the worst i ever tried.

16. Alkoly

Alkoly Registered

yeah, if you are too slow for them.....but as you find the right value it's ok, but the behavior of the AI is far more like a human....the next update of the AI in Raceroom, you will probably able to fine tune the point break, and accelerate point, so they will less bump you from behind....But for me they bump me only if I'm too slow

17. Pales

Pales Registered

Bumping for awareness.

DaREALMastaD and Nieubermesch like this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

was he too slow? ;)

Pales likes this.