Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Post processes can be seen on the sun, electric lights etc.

It makes a big difference at night and at sunrise and sunset.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Thanks. So it’s for endurance races
    So I won’t use it. It’s really killing my performance
    Not worthy

Thanks

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I have a 5K+ and like what it adds to sim racing (rF2 is all I use). rF2 is typically an FPS hog but with your 2080ti you'll be able to have a nice experience. I have a 1080ti and am able to do well at 72hz screen rate. I can't imagine going back to my old Vive or CV1. I second most of what Iron Wolf says, most importantly the FOV which adds to your situational awareness (that's a biggie) and also sense of speed. I do not have any issue with the stereo view. Other than the comfort issues which you'll need pursue with whatever solutions work for you, I think the edge warping would be the most detracting issue of the HMD. It's at the far edges and is most apparent when physically turning your head which we don't do that much of in racing, other than occasional quick glances to see if someone is alongside or maybe a quick look at a mirror. I have to say that in the single-seater open-wheelers I mostly race the warping never crosses my mind. But its there. The sweet spot is bigger than both my old Vive and CV1 and the resolution and screen-door is muuuch better.

As Iron Wolf said, you must get a good head strap and I would say add a counter weight. (I think a counterweight is essential for any HMD. I think the Pimax weight is actually on par or lighter than your CV1.) The "DAS" to which Iron Wolf refers to is the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap and I'd say it is essential.

All that said, be aware the thing is quirky. If you read the Pimax forums you'll get a feel for it. It runs the full range of "I give up, I'm ditching it" (tiny minority) to "It isn't perfect but I can never go back". For what it's worth, I think it really enhances sim racing and I'm in the latter camp.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Well said. I'll just add my two cents that "fish eye"/warping thing depends greatly on face padding in use (which adjusts distance between lens and eyes). Also, thing hurts my nose, thicker padding helps but not entirely. Counterweight will help I guess, but I personally can't use it in my racing seat, no space for it.

lagg likes this.
  5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

That's a bummer. I use lead so it has a pretty low profile. Plus my racing seat is an office chair! :D

If you had some lead you could melt it into a small frying pan to about 1/4in depth. (Based on my rig which uses lead.) You need about 12oz weight so 9 sq. in. would do. Then cut it down and shape it to the desired curve. Maybe you could run a long piece (1.5 x 6 or 1.25 x 7.2) horizontally on the lower HMD cross member. It probably would not be in the way of your head against the seat. My weight is just held on with velcro.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    The Iron Wolf likes this.
  6. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

thanks for the hint, I'll think of something flat to use, that's great suggestion.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

After some tests I can say that with Studio 397 tracks the VR performance is almost the double of the third party tracks.
    I can run easily any official track, 90fps with all high setting. With third party tracks its 45fps even with the 2080ti.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Manfredk2 and The Iron Wolf like this.
  8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I second that, even street tracks, Monaco, Hong Kong run very well.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  9. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Not that surprising but I wonder
    • Is it just that S397 know how to do it better?
    • Do they have internal tools to optimise their track designs?
    • Do they keep secrets deliberately to entice us to buy official content rather than third party mods. (What? I have to include one conspiracy theory :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

No for Monaco eprix.

11. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

I feel as if 3rd party tracks have too many track side objects casting shadows which affect FPS

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  12. hangon

hangon Registered

So true about third party tracks, huge fps fluctuations in most tracks, except one I found exceptional. Vallelunga by Andrea1968 is amazing..the guy knows what he is doing...the track is optimized very very good.I get constant high fps in VR. No other mod track have I seen run this well..I hope he does more conversions or teaches other modders how to achieve this.And this is a AC converted track which typically are tougher to achieve good fps..and it's a great looking track with lots of track side objects...bravo to Andrea1968!!!

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  13. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For recent official tracks there are huge fluctuations.

Example :

Between Sebring and Monaco ePrix.

In VR, absolutely same graphics settings + same test conditions (sunrise + heavy rain + X10 time scale, same GT3 Porsche car) :

I get a minimum FPS of 38 FPS for both tracks (starting to count after 5 minutes and a minimum of 6 AI just in front of my car) but................

Sebring with 60 AI and Monaco ePrix ***8 AI***.

I assure you that all of the two tests were exactly the same test procedure.

14. PUGS

PUGS Registered

I apologize for the later reply - but when I enter settings for the HUD, I just see a giant red box with no options to change anything. Kind of like when trying to select my Series from the main menu. It seems completely broken unless there is some way to enable options? I am totally confused about this.

15. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Evening folks... recently had a rig upgrade - no longer am I running rF2 on a 2015 i7 MacBook Pro with 1Gb GT750M (which handled it fine with all detail to low - I never was one to be arsed over prettiness, having endured rF1 from launch)

Managed to acquire an i5-4450, 8Gb Ram, OC’d AMD HD7850 (2Gb), 2x SSDs... and even with eye candy thrown up to high across the board was pleased to be seeing 150fps+, so when I spotted a DK2 locally for peanuts (£60) I figured it was worth trying for sniggers more than anything else...

Pleased to say: it works, and is completely usable - offline single seaters on BTCC circuits (Brands / Croft / Oulton / Donington / Silverstone usually) tends to be where I spend most of my time, and dropping everything to low etc, am managing 75-90fps quite well with 12 car grids. Pleasantly surprised is an under statement... even when FPS drops it’s barely noticeable, although I am finding some cars (raising an eyebrow particularly at the FIA F2 mod) crucify FPS to the point of horror... GP3 & FISI, perfectly fine. *shrugs & deletes the F2s*

I’ll have a wander through at some point and work out which combos are undoable, but that’s no biggy... (I can cross LeMans off without needing to try it as it was always an FPS killer _without_ VR anyways)

But... the difference VR makes to the whole experience is superb... gobsmackingly so, so I’ve no issues limiting myself to combos that work.

As always I’ll sit here blowing the trumpet for older used hardware & rF2!

MarcG likes this.
  16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

- i7 4770K OC @4,3 Ghz
    - 16 go RAM DDR3 @1600 Mhz
    - GTX 1080 OC
    - Rift S

In order to play VR with a Rift S, in the worst conditions (heavy rain, sunrise / sunset / low sun, time scale X10, multiclass, race), between 10 (Monaco ePrix) and 70 AI (Sebring, Le Mans ) according to the circuits, with all the graphic effects (rain, shadows, road reflections, environmental reflections, etc., very good visual quality (little aliasing, supersampling, good filtering of textures), with a very good performance (between ASW Oculus enabled and 80 FPS), here are truly excellent graphics settings :

INGAME GRAPHICS SETTINGS :
    https://drive.google.com/open?…mkMZ1xb2Zz3jbqbqWBLw7h-af

LAUNCHER GRAPHICS SETTINGS :
    https://drive.google.com/open?…bP-Flxmp9ws9kzYMR-XZtxN7f

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL :
    https://drive.google.com/open?…E5VWjSvdw3ZT3f3BwOTmYepfe

SUPERSAMPLING :
    https://drive.google.com/open?…yRAhL3hzUAy3Im2gDxs-EvG9c

These settings have changed everything for me :

Strong visual quality, nice graphics, lots of AI, race session, and very good performance in ALL race conditions.

EDIT :
    1/ I suggest to keep post process on OFF because I think low is ugly, and you save some FPS.
    2/ Nvidia control panel settings improve a lot the visual quality, especially the texture filtering/LOD.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  17. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi
    Do you like the Oculus rift S?
    I have the CV1....should I upgrade to the oculus S?

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  19. BoskaPongen

BoskaPongen Registered

Just wondering if there is any trick to enable some kind of sharpening in rFactor 2 (VR). Like iracing have.
    Got Nords perfectly dialed in but just lacking some sharpness in VR.

20. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

BoskaPongen likes this.