Diffuser optimum ride heights?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Sep 18, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Back, oh, a year or two, I seem to recall the 'new' UI was going to include Motec functions. So I never bothered to work with Motec, since it was coming with the 'new' UI.
    anyhow, many of these DLC GT cars are heavily dependant upon the rear diffuser to generate proper downforce. But I don't know when it's working or when it's not.
    So are there ballpark figures for both rake and ride height to get the sucker working well?

2. enduser

enduser Registered

OW cars even more, theres optimum ride height + rake for every car mod.. maybe its already set in the default setup, if not you have to spend the time to test on track.Captain Obvious here but anyway... at least rake should be set by the dev by default because the cars are built/developed upon those specs irl along with test drivers so its too much to try and figure all that in a race weekend by yourself.

It would be very helpful if the devs told us how they prepare the default setups and if these 2 are indeed at optimum values.

3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Dave I have been simply using "suck it and see" but I do it on Nazareth Oval (20 sec lap).
    You can feel the cars balance changing as you lower it and get more diffuser efficiency. You can then of course reduce rear wing.
    A point comes however when it just won't rotate, feels stuck to the road at the rear like a moth in a display. When that happens and other changes cant compensate you need to go back up a little.
    Sebring needs more clearance too for the final turn or you bounce too much.
    There used to be a ride height data in Motec but the latest S397 cars don't log it (or aero loads).

Emery likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered