Stuff I want to ask for some time now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flaux, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Hey everyone,

I have some questions. Not sure if they have been answered in the past, as I was out of the loop for quite some time now. Maybe you or any dev can shed a light on it. They might be a bit nerdy, but that's part of the fun, right!?

1. Sun occlusion is still an option in the player.json. Is sun occlusion still used in rf2? Is it an old entry and the option is hardcoded now? It doesn't seem to change a lot to switch it to true.

Answered:

2. Mirage effect is another praised feature from ISI when rf2 became a thing. I liked this effect in every way. But it seems to have gone? Haven't seen this feature in ages while driving in sunny conditions.

3. The same goes for Heat FX. I liked that feature and would love to see it back. Especially in combination with the mirage effect on track. (Like in Grand Prix 4, but 20 years later)

4. Wind effects 1: I remember driving the EVE around old Spa and I could hear the short wind rush, when driving past powerline-post's for example. It really pumped up the adrenaline, as it made the scenery very lively. Something changed within the sounds, so that's gone, sadly.

Answered:

5. Wind effects 2: Will we be able to adjust the wind noise in the future. Usually the wind noise gets a lot louder than the engine noise and anything else very quickly. Something that is lacking in all the simulations. Not sure why, but it would be good to have the possibility to adjust it in some way.

Looking forward to some answers!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

1. It is indeed a redundant setting, the Sun is always occluded by the clouds now regardless of this setting.

Flaux likes this.
  3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

4. This still happens. Determined by the corridors in the AIW I believe.

Flaux likes this.
  5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@doddynco :eek:
    He has risen and returned as a simracer. ;)
    Straight away, boom, how's this for a miracle.
    Your new improved faster speed of sound.

o_O
    I'm not asking him why! You seen his hat, take your eye out if not careful.

:oops: No Nords or UI.

Thanks for your work. :cool:

Seven Smiles likes this.
  6. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Oh sure! Like at the end of the Silverstone GP pit-exit, I guess. There is a windrush, where it shouldn't be. That's in the AIW? Would have guessed you simply flag the 3d model or a material or an invisible box like it was in rf1 with the crowd sounds.

So that means, someone simply messed around with the AIW of Spa66 and the game engine still has all the possibilities. That's good to hear.

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

@ADSTA I noticed that the speed of sound had changed :D

Ah...
    Code:
    "340m\/s at sea level, but lower numbers help exaggerate the Doppler effect",

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    ADSTA likes this.
  9. enduser

enduser Registered

That setting has the noise coming up near your top speed all of a sudden, rather fake sounding. You need a much smoother vol and freq curve like the default one. :)

I played with the settings a bit and that's more like it (below). Note that this is roadnoise, there is a seperate sound for windrush (called windrush) in car files, so in ow like the Brabham bt44 where the windrush is loud and obvious (in other s397 ow its lower) you may end up having too much wind noise.

These are tested with the s397 Audi R8 LMS GT3 and should be good with close cabin cars.
    "Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMin":0.8,
    "Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMult":0.00410625,
    "Vehicle Roadnoise VolMult":5.1e-006,
    "Vehicle Roadnoise VolSpeed":35,

To explain what these do, first of all instead of tweaking the frequency i increased the volume ("VolSpeed") but because i dont want too much noise in low speed and i want to emphasize the difference giving me the sense of wind speed i increased the "VolMult". At 5.1(x e-006) the fx is already a bit exaggerated and its the max i would go, then depending on your speakers and how much noise you can hear, increase "VolSpeed" to your taste but 35 is already loud and clear and bigger speakers probably need less than that.

Further emphasizing the effect without overdoing it i increased "FreqMult" a tiny bit. This is still cursory done as in close cabin + helmet you got most of the high frequencies filtered so there's that with audio, but when you dont use a helmet visor mod more wind noise sounds natural. In that regard default setting is good enough.

Btw speed of sound is still 300m/s , 340 is in the comments, i have set that at 323m/s for the cars not to sound like roadrunner (meep meep), tested with ASR F641 mod external sound which is super good and revving up pretty high.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    doddynco likes this.
  10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Interesting, but sadly doesn't do anything about the windnoise, as you said already. The proper settings for windnoise are stored in the cars sfx file within the mod-packages. So, at the moment, there is no way to change it on official content and could only be hardcoded into the exe by S397 as an on-top adjustment, I believe!?

About speed of sound, I used to go with 400 ms for a much closer doppler effect. Never liked the wide range of the default 300 ms setting rf1/rf2. Right now I stick to 343 ms for a 20 degree celsius track. Btw, I really think this option should be automated in the future. Taking the temperatur and to a certain part the height of the track into account.

11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Graphic immersion is important, as is sound immersion.

I think that S397 has already planned what they would do for these next 2 years in term of graphics engine (they have talked a bit about it : shaders, particles, shadows ....).

Marcel did not tell us what he was going to do for sound or when (I do not think it was specifically said in the RD interview).

Assuming that S397 can not invest in both at once, I would prefer S397 to prioritize sound enhancement.
    It seems to me more priority.

12. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I will definetely take your points into consideration - there will likey be revisions to that file over time. As far as road noise and wind is concerned: I am aware they're generated separately but I won't be opening mod files to adjust the volumes of different samples - that is just way too long and subject to change from car to car. I was mainly focused on getting that feeling of a quadratic increase in wind energy, and the way that interacts with the other sounds. I have had to try and make it work for every car, so there is a lot of compromise, but it is much nicer to me than the original sound mix.

enduser likes this.
  13. enduser

enduser Registered

Good point, yea that sound also contains wind noise as you cant really record tires, marbles or dirt separately and its a good workaround for gt cars without tweaking each and every one (files locked anyway).

Just like graphics , audio is an art in its self even for a game. We have real life textures and real life sound samples but each time a fair amount of work is needed to get good results for both. Some cars are done better than others but its a shame for me to have the sounds and not care to mix them with enough detail.
    For example in Belgium 66 the haystacks already have their own sound sample for when u hit them but the cone sample is used instead.
    FR35 has the wrong external backfire sample , the right one exists in the Radical_SR3-RSX_2017. In fr35 u got the cockpit backfire sound used for the external as well with too much volume which sounds like a fart that can be heard all over the track completely dry - no reverb or ambience (i guess its too much range given in the sfx file). Same for the DW12, really annoying.
    Backfire is very loud but its dynamic and has a punch similar to an actual gunshot, if you just kill its dynamics and then raise the vol to 11 its not gonna sound very real. Then if you choose to have a cinematic/arcade approach you must do it for all sounds and not the backfire sounding loud in isolation.

Trackside recording bozzy is the man, respect, only one who captures the sound in depth. Wanna get chills in your armchair hearing fr35 roaring and firing, here you go! Some nice upshift backfires in 1.20 & 3.30 accelerating towards grande curve.

Note in some parts the sound is so loud that he s got distortion from clipping the converters and theres not much you can do afterwards, since then he has perfected his recordings (and image).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Seven Smiles likes this.
  14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Just to be clear, I like the original sound engine with all it's features. It's a lot if you have a proper look/listen and use it in the right way as a content creator.

I just want a slider or a .json setting to make the wind noise more (or less) prominent. - That's all.

I didn't want to create a discussion about the sound engine, irrelevant settings, the samples, alternatives to wind noise or anything. That is not what this thread is about. I have some questions that might be of interest to others aswell, so... let's keep it on topic guys.

15. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Temperature would be all you need. But difference is probably very small anyway, even in kyalami you´d get 330+, so go with 343 fix and its ok

Flaux likes this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Wat? I have never heard a wind rush. :(

juanchioooo likes this.
  17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

with the noise of the engine and the tires, ... I would say that what is missing are the noises of bodywork and stones in the bass, or they are little heard, but with all that you think you get to hear the wind? .. I doubt it:cool:

Alex72 likes this.
  18. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Whats missing in sound is the howling of the straight cut cogwheels, and a feedback that you somehow touch ground or when you run into Suspension limits

19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I think the sound of straight cut gears would get very tiring very quickly :mad:

20. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

So is the smooth standard sound