Improving AI and (sound) immersion (as in AMS!)

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Frenky, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Frenky

Frenky Registered

I would like to see S397 improving rF2 with the following things. All these things are already implemented by Automobilista, so I know for sure that it is possible:

1. Prevent the AI from doing lift and coast while they are slipstreaming other cars and should overtake them;
    2. Make sure the AI choose the softest dry tire compound available during qualifying (instead of the hardest);
    3. Implement an engine blow sound as well as a car / wooden plank bottoming out sound.

Again these things are fixed / implemented already by AMS. Would love to see S397 doing the same!

Frenky

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There is a bottoming out sound already. It's not (as far as I know) configurable in the mod, which means the global sound isn't well suited to open wheelers.

3. gunner1483

gunner1483 Registered

the ai on/off throttle in corners is also anoying.

4. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Fully agree...every time I read the "rF2 is the best AI" statement I would post about that but then I have to stop due to fanboys, rf2 AI doesn't give a f... about you and your car, no spatial awareness at all and the blocking moves are a joke, basically ramming you from sides...

RoboCAT10, dazzer and DustySticks like this.
  5. Filip

Filip Registered

That is not true. Of course sometimes AI will act dumb, it depends also on settings, track, car.
    If you say "no spatial awareness at all" then you generalize some exception case or you can't judge.
    In my experience AI can be even too aware, quite often if I act dumb and move into their racing line they try to avoid me even if that get's them crashed.

Emery likes this.
  6. Frenky

Frenky Registered

I think the ai in AMS is slightly better than in rF2. But both of them are miles ahead compared to other sims (in my opinion and limited testing).

7. Frenky

Frenky Registered

There is a bottoming out (global) sound? If I open the TMTires mas file there are a lot of different scraping, skidding and scrubbing sounds. Nearly all of them are from the tires. There are a couple of "materials" touching walls, gravel and so on. But as far as I know, there isn't a single sound file that simulates a plank / undertray touching the road. AMS does have it and you can clearly hear it when driving an open wheeler too close to the ground.

In my mod I put that same sound file and call it in the sfx file(s). If I drive too low to the ground I lose 15 kph on the straights but there are no sounds other than tire skidding recognizable.

Can you maybe put me to a car that has that sound incorporated in rF2?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As I said, it's not configurable. So you can't see the file.

Turn all your other sounds down, and you'll hear it. I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying it's there.

9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Tim likes this.
  10. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

you have my respect for the effort, I will give a try to it for sure!
    I hope S397 will take care of audio and maybe going the fmod route, rF2 needs to be optimized on many fronts as soon as possible or we will have a lot of content to update later...

11. Emery

Emery Registered

fmod isn't going to magically give rF2 better sound. Better sound comes from better samples; there are plenty of good/bad examples in AC that show it's not the sound engine.

Corti likes this.
  12. Corti

Corti Registered

I'm with Emery

13. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I know this, I know samples are the secret for good sound overall but updating the sound part will help too, better samples + better sound engine = way better and better sound

14. Emery

Emery Registered

What makes you believe fmod is a better sound engine than Miles?

Edit: also, you do realize that changing the sound engine means all the content has to be redone, including mods. That means we'd probably lose a lot of mods.