Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Is the correct answer :)

2. bester

bester Registered

Try lauching oculus software before lauching rfactor. Works for me.

3. Ceolmor

Ceolmor Registered

Many thanks @bester . That was the problem. I was letting rF2 launch Oculus and Steam VR at the same time. Your suggestion works.

4. Depco

Depco Registered

For me I have to Launch Oculus but not SteamVR when I launch rF2. If I have both VR programs going all I see is the Steam VR home. The game crashes (Or more specifically, closes). If I open Oculus then rF2 it will then open SteamVR for me automatically. Otherwise it simply does not work. Hope they streamline this game some more.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not quite understanding the issue here, for Oculus to run you need it running in the background (the old Hack to turn it off doesn't appear to work anymore AFAIK), the game will only load with SteamVR either started manually beforehand or automatically when you launch the game.
    If it's crashing at this point then there's perhaps an issue your end, nothing to do with streamlining the game more (although i agree this could be better in future with OpenXR (?) support).

But for now as it is running both Oculus and SteamVR should'nt be a problem, it works just fine on my system (and other users) plus i have only 8gig RAM!

Try verifying the SteamVR files and/or uninstalling and reinstalling, this app has a past of being awkward so I'd put money on it being the issue :)

6. balage06

balage06 Registered

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm a relatively inexperienced VR user, I received my Valve Index a month ago. And the only problem I have with rFactor 2 is that the UI is enormous (both in the menus and in-game). The menu looks like a giant IMAX screen and when I'm in the car, the huge virtual mirrors appear literally in the sky and the rest of the HUD is also big and shows up well under the ground. I tried to play with the world scale options, but it looks like they only affect the actual game world's size which is absolutely fine anyway. Maybe I'm just blind, but I can't find a solution for this.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In the SETTINGS from the Launcher you can change the resolution, this only affects the monitor (not the VR headset), so by changing this you can alter the size of the UI and in race HUD items. Have a play with different resolutions until you find one that suits :)

Edit: this works on Rift, so can only presume it works on Valve Index as well.

thekan76 and TOCA2FREAK like this.
  8. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

@balage06 I also use a Valve Index and can confirm the UI looks good if you set the resolution of the game to 1920x1080. ;)

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi
    I’m thinking to upgrade my CV1 to Pimax 5k plus.
    I already uploaded my rx580 with the rtx2080ti.
    Is there anyone with Pimax here?
    Is it any good with rfactor2 and motion?
    Thanks

10. lagg

lagg Registered

11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

To add on motion - newest version of Pitool has motion cancellation support, but I do not use it personally, but speaking of ergonomics headset is stable enough to use with motion (though you might need to try DAS or different face paddings, there's also comfort mod for sale). There's a person on rF2 Discord who is using that feature, and he is happy.

12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Thanks.
    Can I ask you if you like it?
    Door effect, FOV.... can I run rfactor2 smoothly with my rtx2080ti?
    What about the audio?

13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

See the thread @lagg linked :) I shared my experience in detail. Short answer - it is not perfect, it cracks, it lacks OLED and you may find stereo view in it weird, but I personally won't trade it for anything available today. FOV in it looks very close to how wearing helmet looks, which was exactly what I was missing in VR. Resolution step up is decent too - I no longer want to cry when I see rf2 on 2D monitor :)

lagg and GTClub_wajdi like this.
  14. balage06

balage06 Registered

First of all thanks guys, the suggested solution works, if I lower the resolution, the UI gets smaller, but I have a FullHD monitor, so the default resolution was indeed 1920x1080. It seems 1280x1024 is a good compromise, because the menu is smaller, but the text is still readable on it.

But I can't figure out the situation with the HUD, even if I set the lowest possible resolution (640x480), the bottom part still show up beyond the car's dashboard, which is pretty distracting. Is it possible to move that "frame" closer to my viewpoint? (I don't have controllers btw, because I bought the headset specifically for simracing).

15. lagg

lagg Registered

It's not possible to move the HUD.
    There are some HUDs that work well in VR. Take a look to the SMMG HUDs in the workshop.
    I use one of them at 1360*768

juanchioooo likes this.
  16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Does PP work in VR?
    I don’t notice any difference.

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Actually it's possible to move HUD, that requires creating your own version in Dev Mode. I have my own HUD for VR, and there are many versions in the workshop

18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

19. lagg

lagg Registered

I know @The Iron Wolf , but it's not simply move the hud. You have to know how the Devmode works and this is not friendly for a common user. There are good options in the Workshop, as you said.
    Thanks, @juanchioooo , i'll take a look.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    The Iron Wolf and juanchioooo like this.
  20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi guys
    I’m asking it again.
    I upgraded my GPU from the rx580 to the 2080ti
    What can I say?
    Big difference. With the previous rx580 I was running everything on medium-low without antialiasing, shadow and reflections and SS-1... with 12 cars in the starting grid I was getting 20-30 FPS then after some corners, 40-45fps... and with a lot of headache and eyes fatigue after some laps.

With the 2080ti I have almost everything on high and antialiasing-4
    Shadow medium
    Reflection medium
    SS-1.5
    With 16 cars in the grid - 80 FPS
    Then after some corners 90gps some times it drops to 85-84 but average fps-89.1 very fluid.
    Now I want to ask, does the PP work with VR?
    I put it to high but I don’t see any difference in the graphics, but it makes the FPS drop to 60-65fps?
    Do you use PP in VR?
    I repeat, it doesn’t make any visual difference for me.
    Thanks