Iracing in 2019

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Alcolo, Oct 8, 2018.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Nielsen likes this.
  2. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I'm not an iRacer and I never will be because of their ridiculous pricing structure.

BUT... I can see the appeal of a simulator in which you don't have to have a degree in Computer Science, don't have to edit notepad files left, right and centre, clear shader folders, erase controller and multiplayer json files, and be messing around with router/port settings and permissions, just to get the damn thing running so you can actually drive.

3. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

100% agree with this.
    There was a good reason FIRST/iRacing bought the right to the NR2003 code because this epic sim has been the basis of most of iRacings 24/7 service.
    A service that is pretty simple to use without any IT knowledge.
    The only thing that is not functioning is the damned tire model (IMO).
    If only iRacing could sack the guy responsible for this monster and buy a useable TM I would become a longtime member - again :)

VirusGR42 likes this.
  4. Patrick Schumacher

Patrick Schumacher Registered

I will run the new Audi within the next 12 weeks. Schedule looks very promising with American and European tracks. Never run an entire season but as I know there is a payback then as a friend of mine let me know. Looking forward to it. Think the Audi is an amazing car bringing a lot of fun. Very well developed.

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

That's not my experience with rF2. I didn't try to run server, and don't have VR, so didn't have to edit text files. UI is very outdated and sometimes unresponsive, but other then that I find it functional (well mostly). I recently tried iRacing and at first, was a bit confused with UI. I like the new beta interface, but it's not fully functional yet. In game menus also feel a little outdated and not best "ergonomics".

So far I only tried free content and except Mazda MX-5 I'm not impressed with car's graphics. Default skins are ugly.
    My first impressions regarding physics were good, cars feel realistic, decent FFB. At first I tried Mazda MX-5 and it felt easy to race, but sometimes gear wouldn't shift with my TH8A and I felt I was losing a lot of time. But for instance Dallara DW12 wasn't that easy for me- when pushed to the limit the car would snap oversteer. They just released NTM7 on few cars so maybe it's wort trying.

Of course there are a lot of races to chose from and always a lot of people online, but often you need to buy content which is very expensive.
    I see oval races are popular, but I'm from Europe and I'm not a fan. Dirt races are fun, but I wasn't that fast even in rookies division.

Overall I'm not that serious about competitive online racing and not willing to invest much time and money into it. For now for online I use rF2 club and league races plus AC + SRS. I hope the new rF2 online competition system will attract users so it won't be hard to find people to race with.

Nielsen likes this.
  6. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Just a friendly advice.
    If you dont intend to participate rather serious and competitive in iRacings online racing then ask yourself twice every time iRacing smartly trics you to buy some extra "needed" tracks (or cars) to participate in certain series - ask do I really need this.
    Because if you (as me when I was a member) keep the money "invested" in cars/tracks rather low then its easier later to decide if iRacing still is the right place to be for you.
    I have seen again and again how iRacers use the argument that they cant "afford" to quit because all the money they allready have "invested" in this game will then be lost.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mesfigas likes this.
  7. Patrick Schumacher

Sounds like a business plan ;)

Nielsen likes this.
  8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

PCars was a great financial investment for a game that got deleted without remorse.

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks, but you don’t need to convince me:) I’m not impressed with iRacing and the associated costs are ridiculous. It may be fine if you like it’s online competition system. For me There are few great sims like AC, Raceroom or even Project Cars 2 that are better in some areas. Recently I also play AMS Unofficial club few times a week and it’s great.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    juanchioooo likes this.
  10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I recently made a new account with iracing for a € 1.20 bonus, I wanted to give it a try, the truth is that many troll, normal graphics, and nothing special for me, I only lost € 1.20:cool:
    it's definitely nothing extraordinary;):cool:

11. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

I actually think the pricing model works in iRacing's favor for the most part. It really makes you question how serious you are and how important good racing is to you. At the rookie level there are tons of folks that think they can just jump on a track and go quick. They crash out, last 3 months and never resubscribe. Good riddance.

The ones that put the time in move up and have really high quality races and because of the investment folks tend to take it more seriously and have a better understanding of what good racing looks like.

I wish it was cheaper, but by no means to I fell ripped off. Especially when i earn $10/quarter for participation.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

https://time.com/5347133/sunk-cost-fallacy-decisions/

You qualify for a lower fee, yes. I wouldn't put the word "earn" anywhere near that.

Not putting iracing down, it does what it does well and many people are happy playing it.

Remco Majoor, Nielsen and avenger82 like this.
  13. Patrick Schumacher

Very good post!

14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

In the races that I have played, I have only had incidents, all blame for others who believe that the race ends in the first corner, if that is the quality of which you speak, nothing to do with your comment, the only thing I have found they are troll ... just the opposite of what you say. Now, if you believe that because it pays is the good quality ... I recommend an iracing rental game

15. Patrick Schumacher

And how many races in which classes have you played? :)

I completely agree what @tlsmikey described. There are always some guys with bad behaviour on track. Nothing protects you from that, but in all of my races the fairness level have been all in all pretty good and much better than in any normal lobby independent of the sim (AC, Pc2, Raceroom, rF2, AMS) except for leagues.
    Let's see how rF2 will handle this. My concern is, the average Joe remains the average Joe, especially when there is no safety rating.

williang83 and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

it doesn't matter, I just lost € 1.20 ...:);)

17. williang83

williang83 Registered

Ahh the good old topic about "in iRacing people crashes on you like a noob, so it's not that different".....lol.......the typical process:

- Install iracing and siince they are rookie themselves, they race against rookies, average joes and simply "fast single lap drivers but awful racers"
    - Never increase irating to substantial values, like 1800-2200, where it really starts to kick in and separate in groups good races from the above (as long as there are enough races to fill the group. Of course once in a while, some poor soul with high iRating will be left outside to race against bad/amateur drivers, because the seats has been already filled, it happens)
    - Quit iracing because just like the average joes or bad drivers they kept racing against low irating drivers so they crashed a lot.
    - Go to others game forum and complain about iracing using any argument to talk **** about it

This process is not something new, it happens often.....

I agree the graphics is not the best, but complaining about graphics in rFactor 2 forum is kind of ironic, besides at least it offers a good performance (which also rF2 does). The physics is definitely nor the best neither the worst, and it does simulates some stuffs that definitely rFactor does not (eg. track temperature, in-car differential, etc...). The net code is quite good and the whole concept is user friendly, unlike current rF2 status quo! The in-car controls are simply but at least properly implemented, contrary to rFactor2 which is one of the worst. The FFB has improved a lot IMO, still not like rF2 but close enough to make enjoyable.

I hope that this supposed never arriving UI will pave the road to help 397 to evolve rF2 to a good polished product which is far from it at the status quo.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

speaking about graphics the combo s397 Sebring + Formula Vee gives oustanding graphics plus racing experience

19. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Not if bad rating will exclude them from most races, and will have to race with other wreckers.

Patrick Schumacher likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

It is a good old topic because it is in fact what people experience. I spent the last month playing iRacing, even against some pretty high level fields that are far beyond your recommended iRating level and it still was the usual wreckfest that I get in any other sim. I don't make this up on my own, but for me there is nothing where iRacing excells very well besides scheduled online races. The quality of the racing is as good or as bad as anywhere else wich leads me to the question, if I really should pay 66 bucks a year to get excess to those crash fests. And it isn't talking shit about iRacing but talking about the product itself in 2019 in a respective threat in a sim racing forum. I don't know what you expect, but most people try the different sims and exchange their vision on the whole topic. If iRacing was a retail product, I would certainly get it, but the investment in relation to what is offered is just not good enough right now. That's my personal view on the subject, so your milleage may vary. I am just not ready to pay that much for a grind where I have only 50% of the control of what the guy infront or behind me is doing.