Nordschleife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason Mullin, Feb 15, 2019.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think I have swapped enough vegetation textures (not just in rF2) in my freetime to have an understanding of the whole subject. Don't get me wrong, opinions are valid and everyone is free to voice theirs in this forum and give feedback. What I don't get is how people prioritize things and this whole topic is actually not a matter of opinions but how track artists, who are paid for their job prioritize their workload. How this is considered wrecked logic is beyond me. In case the devs follow your suggestion, we will have a fantastic looking Nordschleife with great looking trees while other tracks would look subpar and the whole standardization process is f*cked up again. Sometimes it makes sense to hold your artists back and this isn't something that I have made up. That's simple game dev 1x1.

Edit: on the matter of the subject of standarization there is quite a bit of stuff that hasn't been brought up to spec that it is so obvious that I wonder how people could argue about the trees so much. Just a little example from the environmental art departement are the marshals that where introcuded with Sebring, but aren't implemented on all tracks up to this point.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

They could always add hot air balloons!

pkelly, Filip and Obbzy_XR_ like this.
  3. Stevy

Stevy Registered

OH GOD PLEASE NO!

DrivingFast and vegaguy5555 like this.
  4. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

Surely a 'red barron' biplane doing loop de loops would be far more entertaining! :D

bwana, BigDuke6 and vegaguy5555 like this.
  5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

As long as Snoopy's dog house is in hot pursuit with fully functioning non-ballistic 6dof AI physics.

BigDuke6, Obbzy_XR_ and vegaguy5555 like this.
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

It's the cascade shadows running along in front of the player and throttle/brake blipping from the Ai from me :p

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Please no!

8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I agree. We know the AI is busted, we now FCY is busted, we know that formation laps are busted (and only two lane as well which messes up formula races) and people are screaming for it to be fixed. Then there's the UI, clutch and box simulation...

But then we get the little smaller things that aren't really a priority but are treated like they're game breaking. Stuff like trees, grass, pit boards, sparks; realism realism realism realism. Say for instance S397 releases Spa or Bathurst with these 3d trees and grass, then people will be all "but this needs fixing/adding to Le Mans/Sebring/Zandvoort now!" which takes resources away from something new, then there will be complaints of no new content becuase they're adding 3D grass to Sebring or whatever.

Emery, McKiernan and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Ask the community about these famous trees/vegetation :

On Sebring, the few trees that are there are in my opinion very well done.

Same on Monaco ePrix.

By cons on Le Mans, I find the trees very poorly done (subjective) :

What do you think of the trees of the Nords ?? They seem very well done!

Moreover I have the impression that the grass, although 2D, has textures of much better quality than Sebring, Le Mans.....

The graphic quality of Nords seems very good !!!

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Le Mans grass and sand textures are a lot better than previous tracks or it seems to be at least. Nords seem like will keep that going so it's great. IMO 3d grass is not needed when u get textures right.
    They should upgrade Sebring with those. Well.. upgrade all tracks with those when the track shaders get finished. Tracks with a big amount of grass and trees need it more like Lime Rock, and Silverstone grass texture make the track looks flat as hell, that track does not need any more help to look flat you know :D :D

11. slatanek

slatanek Registered

I think rf2 has way more serious issues to solve than grass and trees o_O

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

There are more important things, who said the opposite !!!

But it's relatively important.

At least in all the tracks where there is a lot of vegetation, trees, grass and sand ! (almost all).

For me the graphic immersion is secondary ....

But damn it, even if it passes after realism, the visual immersion is very important too !

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  13. enduser

enduser Registered

Lets not get paranoid its not game breaking stuff, but in many tracks most of your screen is vegetation, you get that right you have a nice scenery "simple" as that.

Then its a nords thread and we still moan about clutch and UI?! At least your moaning could be in the right context... moaning about moaning should be in the forum rules, have you ever been in a internetz forum before, never moan about others moaning if you re not entertained keep calm and look for something else to read!

If LM trees are not very good, i think they re just not very real life like because they look empty in the middle, also the tree barks look too bright. That can be fixed in minutes since from what i see its the same one tree texture, bump file doesnt need anything spec file might not either. Programming clutch and new ui is tiny bit more demanding yea?

From what i see in Nords tree barks look too bright too, should better match the environment its usually better to be dark than bright for me, its a good compromise since you cant have good shadows in billboard (2d) trees.
    I ve done it in other mods in excellent quality tracks and that simple thing makes a worthy improvement and ties the scene together.

Silverstone is just crap for various reasons Botniaring doesnt even have billboard trees in front of the treeline, "free" content is subpar im afraid, company policy! :eek:

LM pit building tho! I hope they make the bugatti circuit too and make it a bundle.
    Nords i see nice details, some P boards and those stairs-like small stands must the ones for photographers , pit building also amazing in the gp track, premium content looks like the business ya.
    Fantastisch! :)

mr.Sw1tchblade and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Simple just do the best possible on the current projects, update (if going to update) older stuff when there are resources available for that.

Wrecked logic is to do things nto as great as it could be, then go for second pass on everything (which probably not even going to happen).

15. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I got to dissapoint you but this is exactly not how environmental artists work within a studio.

16. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Well, we know there is a group responsible for the visual part of the sim. So they have to make the best for it, and the other sessions of the team won't be affected. Trees, sky and more eye-candy graphics are not only important to immersion, but to attract more players, and more money and more development. That's why iRacing and PCars invest a lot on it, and man it's soo nice to pit the truck and see the animated mechanics lifting the car, the sparks... Those effects bring more players, or else we would still racing on rFactor or on rF2 DX9... rFactor 2 has the best physics, more features, and what we got? Empty servers, less players evolved, and league dependence to have populated races online...IMHO rFactor 2 should focus in visual improvements and solve the bugs to bring more players, and then in new content. Oval cars content is not hard to update and associated to less bugs, could bring much more players.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So the studios likes to do same job multiple times ? Because thats what you are talking about. That is straight describtion of unprofessional work. So later users could swap tree textures ?

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Again: the "way more serious issues" of rF2 are on the coding part. Trees and grass are on the art team, the guys in this one are not coding (hopefully) thus such statements are just dumb.
    And in fact the track team seems to be listening and have improved some parts (now if only the car team would do the same :rolleyes: ), this did not stop the progress on the bug fix and development. Why people mix this stuff is beyond me.

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  19. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I like the hot air balloons but think they should only work in daytime :)

20. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Actually! Now that you mention it, I love the night hot air balloons!