Nordschleife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason Mullin, Feb 15, 2019.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm pretty sure no current sim uses 3d trees, at least for the most part the trees would be using 2d billboards or x or y-shaped trees as @Will Mazeo mentioned, which I still consider 2d with another two 2d layers slapped on top of each other. The main issue here I think is performance, especially on a track the size of Nordschleife, it would cause real problems to run on today's PC's. Then again I know some FPS games like PUBG come with large maps that do use proper 3d trees, but in these open world shooters 3d assets are loaded in and out of memory while you move. Sims basically load the entire track into GPU memory at once, so I think having 3d trees is still quite a few years away from reality apart from maybe having a few trackside ones.

David O'Reilly and avenger82 like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Oh and important thing is that trees casts shadows. Look how dark they were. Hills also should cast them obviously, but I think they didn't.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I remember one Road America track for rF2 had 3d trees at first release and the performance was horrible no matter thet pc config, the modder later removed them. I think first and maybe first and second rolls of trees closer to the track should be at least Y, they really change the visuals

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The biggest hit is from shadows, believe me. But of course if all trees would be 3D and without LOD's then it is RIP for performance too, even without shadows.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Lilski started splitting his Y-trees vertically, too, so the upper half of the tree gets more light and the lower half is shadowed better. I don't recall if this is specific for AC or if it transfers to rF2.

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

i personally do not like the current tree-tech as well, its one of the last pieces which is not looking modern. The track details beside of trees and visitors are awesome and do look very very nice. I assume that trees would add a lot of additional load. Performance + low latency was always a big strength of rFactor 2 and one of the key-reasons why its been used in real f1. However those stuff could be behind an ultra-quality flag for those with a lot of computing power or at least for screenshot-mode. But this also would require update to every track, which is a lot of work, the track itself is a monster of work. Lets see what the future brings to us.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Billboard trees are cool in most casesl, just needs good execution.

And iiric rf2 started to perform well after S397. And rl teams use it for best physics and modability.

8. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Can confirm, had a team from Spain email me about MoTec and asking how to use it.

David O'Reilly, J7166 and mantasisg like this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I'll have to be honest, up until now, I've not noticed that the trees were 2d

AMillward, bwana, J7166 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well yeah, because they go to a real track and just race. 99.9% of us cant do that, we need the evironment to be well done, otherwise may as well add a 8bit graphic, performance problems solved for everyone and VR at 240 fps, yay

11. Supa

Supa Registered

Honestly, just how much attention are you paying to the Trees when you're hot lapping it round the course!!! Biggest bunch of moaners I've ever seen anywhere. You lot really do need a jolt to bring you back to reality. Just stick to what important.

David O'Reilly, kimbo, bwana and 3 others like this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Honestly you are one of the biggest sh.. posters here, supa.

pkelly likes this.
  13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Has been posted in the german forum recently.
    It' just a video, but i like what i see. :)

14. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

I was sure pCars 2 used 3D trees , from memory when in Vr they looked pretty cool .

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  15. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

the trees..... But no one is mentioning the bird sounds on Le mans? Was suprised i heard them there when i was standing still :p

16. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

The more you guys point out the better its going to be and the longer I'm going to have to wait...... I'm so torn!:oops:

I am looking forward to the laser scanned, night, day, DX11 offical track! Plus all the coming updates years to come because it's a rF2 track. :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    bwana likes this.
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think he has a point though. People allways find something to moan about. If it isn't the grass, it's moaning about the trees. If it isn't about the trees it's about the roads. If it isn't about the roads it's the curbs ... The list is endless. Tbh, for me Le Mans looks nice and gives a nice visual immersion when I whizz by the trees and most importantly it runs great and feels fantastic. The only issue I have with Le Mans is the trees popping up at the end of the Mulsanne straight. So in that regard, it's fine to give feedback, but this is going into extremes sometimes, with an unmatched obsession about visual details that would keep the dev team busy for another year to get this up to one standard for all tracks that I wonder if people will find a point where they are satisfied, so that S397 can get onto more important stuff like clutch and drive train simulation instead of concentrating on tree branches that look a whee bit off in some low res replays. From the videos that I have seen so far, the track is amazingly detailed and looks just fine from the cockpit. And there is still a bit of polish to come.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Just be thankful for people who has reasonable feedback and spends energy gathering it and sharing. Instead you disrespectfully call them moaners. You can keep what you have, it most likely isn't going to get worse. You don't need better? Good for you.

Now for developers some feedback might be waste of attention, some might help. But if you'll surround yourself by the ones that only approves you constantly, then welcome to illusion world.

And surely 3d modeller is coding your clutch someday xD

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You call me disrespectfull while you where perfectly fine to call another user sh..poster. Good job. Tbh, I have spent enough time working in a modding team for free with people who really kicked my butt, so I know how striving for perfection works and how much time it requires. There is a reason why the trees look as they do and there is a standard technique to be applied, that looks good enough while offering decent performance accross the game and even on huge tracks with lots of trees. Next to the fact that the content was labeled WIP and there is more polish to come, I see no reason to get mad about the topic, while financial ressources - and that's what happens when you tell a 2D/3D artist to improve the underlying tech for vegetation could be spent on stuff that would actually matter much more for the simulation aspect. And I rather see the track artists updating all the tracks towards the current standard of Le Mans, Monaco Nords and Sebring instead of opening a completely new construction site and can of worms.

David O'Reilly and Grey like this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Doesn't sound to me like you have much understanding. Perhaps because you don't understand how little it would take to make actually decent improvement. Also you call tweakign existing/new projects as opening new construction site, but somehow think updating all other tracks is not, which is absolutely wrecked logic.

People had many different opinions on what could look better. My opinion was that the texture could be better. I don't see how this resonates into WW3 of defending S397 from "moaning". I will just stop sharing my opinions here. It is not worth it.