AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Aug 24, 2019.

1. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

I don't just 1440p at 144Hz and the main reason is that I don't believe the experience would be great with my 1070.

juanchioooo likes this.
  2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I on a monitor of 32 "144 hertz 4ms to me the 1070 is going to me at more than 200 fps
    but in the vr, although the oculus are very smooth, I think I need some more graphics, and I don't know if jumping to 2070, or it is worth the 5700xt, that's why I'm very interested in your test, if I played on the monitor I wouldn't change the 1070:);)

3. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

If you get more than 144fps it's better to cap them by using V-sync=Video in rf2 config.

If I had 1070 I'd wait for Nvidia Ampere, although I also don't have VR so not sure. Maybe also wait for larger Navi chip

juanchioooo likes this.
  4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I don't limit them because now I only use vr, I limit them in the json player. Changing graphics is not urgent, there is no hurry to decide whether or not to change it.:);)

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

But even with VR isn't it sensible to limit to max it's refresh rate? I guess higher then that only give you less input lag?
    BTW: 5700 XT Freesync had issues with my monitor, but doesn't mean with good monitor (i.e. that passed Nvidia certification) there also will be any Freesync issues.

juanchioooo likes this.
  6. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

limit why? no! I am doing well like that, very soft, but I lower the fps in vr, so the screen refresh is less than 90 fps, it goes up and down but it goes very smooth
    I have read that there are problems of slowdowns with the Freesync, but when I have tried on the monitor it has not given me any problem with the gtx1070 ...
    my monitor is 4ms of response and 32 "full hd Freesync, I only use it to surf the internet, for the rest VR

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Any news? Has someone got their hands on a 5700 (xt) already?

juanchioooo likes this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

9. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Yep got one yesterday, I am in the process of getting setup so I can do a comparison between my 1070 and the Gigabyte 5700XT OC

Flaux and juanchioooo like this.
  10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Your model is the turbine?, I look forward to your tests, performance and temperatures in rfactor of course:eek::eek::eek:;)

t0p5ecret likes this.
  11. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

juanchioooo likes this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

13. DustySticks

DustySticks Registered

Hardware Unboxed did show the 5700XT 18% behind I believe the 2070 Super in PC2 at 1440p. Obviously not a direct comparison for rF2, but atleast he has a sim title on his benchmark results.

14. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

This is a mixed result page over several games. Racinggames tested within this games:
    • Dirt Rally 2.0
    • F1 2019
    upload_2019-9-10_11-8-54.png

Best value on the normal tier cards are mostly AMD. But if you need more fps then AMD can offer take the 2070 Super, its NVidia best card for the money.

15. williang83

williang83 Registered

My experience going from a 5700xt to a 2070S:

I bought it and used it with rift S, it offered a very good performance in VR (80fps in sebring, 16 AI and high settings). However i had non rF2 related hassles (BSOD, very very bad performance in XP, no hw acceleration in browsers and others) which forced me to return it and buy the 2070S for like 100 bucks more.

The problem with the 5700xt is that if the game, specially niche ones, are non AMD optimized you will suffer of bad performance, while the NVIDIA usually represents a safer option. I'd rather pay 25% more to be safer rather than go cheap and deal with hassles (my
    school of thought).

The 2070S offers an even smoother experience and all zero problem to deal with. Besides it offers SPS which is a feature that iRacing use and i was already considering to return to iRacing.

Flaux and juanchioooo like this.
  16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Ok, so I'm out of interest. Bought an overclocked 2060 super which gets delivered today. I only paid 350 € new, so it is all good and I can keep my PSU and have a bit of headroom, clock-, temp- and noise-wise. Can't wait to pull out the old trusted 780sc.

juanchioooo and Ari Antero like this.
  17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the super 2060 is almost up to the normal 2070, and for that price the purchase is great:);)

18. BillyBobBongo

BillyBobBongo Registered

After many years of dual booting in to Windows on my Mac Pro 5,1 I finally bit the bullet and built myself a Windows PC for Sim Racing. Using the money, and some harvested parts, from the sale of the Mac Pro I put a system together based around the Ryzen 5 3600 and a 5700 XT.

I have fielded my experience with it on the iRacing forums and over the last few days I have spent countless hours in the settings options (AKA Sim Racing) of rFactor 2 tweaking everything I could to maintain a steady 90 FPS in VR and 60 FPS on a screen.

For reference I am using and HTC Vive Pro for VR and for all testing I used 18 cars at Silverstone and started at the back of the grid to put maximum pressure on the system. I have also modified "Texture Sharpening" to 3 in my player.json file.

Daylight Conditions (Clear Weather) - 90 FPS in VR

--- Graphics Settings (Display) ---
    Circuit Detail: Medium
    Player Detail: Full
    Opponent Detail: Full
    Texture Detail: Full
    Texture Filter: X16 Anisotropic
    Special Effects: Medium
    Shadows: Low
    Shadow Blur: Off
    Soft Particles: Off
    Raid Drops: Off
    Road Reflection: High
    Environment Reflection: High
    Visible Vehicles: 12
    --- Graphics Settings (Video Res) ---
    Anti Aliasing: Level 5
    Post Effects: Medium
    --- Super Sampling ---
    120%

Not too bad at all to be honest, however if you want to race at night or make it rain then welcome to stutter city. So after more tweaking I arrived at this

Night Conditions / Rain - 90 FPS in VR

Circuit Detail: Low
    Player Detail: High
    Opponent Detail: Medium
    Special Effects: Low
    Shadows: Low
    Soft Particles: Off
    Raid Drops: Off
    Road Reflection: Off
    Environment Reflection: Off
    Anti Aliasing: Level 2
    Post Effects: Low
    --- Super Sampling ---
    70%

Well, that took a serious hit! Depending on the track I can push Super Sampling to 80%. Remember I'm using a Vive Pro so the resolution is still pretty decent here. Before someone says turn down Anti Aliasing and push Super Sampling, I couldn't really push Super Sampling that much further and found that Anti Aliasing at Level 2 keeps those jaggies away...especially from around the rear lights grills on the McLaren 650S GT3.

Let's look at something more positive, performance on a single screen. Another caveat here is that I have an ultra wide monitor and I'm running at 3440 x 1440. Here I just fine tuned it so that encompasses all situations

Daylight / Night / Rain - 60 FPS on Single Screen

Circuit Detail: Full
    Player Detail: Full
    Opponent Detail: Full
    Special Effects: Full
    Shadows: High
    Soft Particles: High
    Raid Drops: Low
    Road Reflection: Ultra
    Environment Reflection: High
    Anti Aliasing: Level 3
    Post Effects: Medium

On the first corner, in the rain, it does dip to 59 FPS which I find to be acceptable. If I turn mirrors off it performs around 10 FPS higher and therefore doesn't do this.

Hopefully someone finds this information useful. If anybody has any further optimisation tips for me feel free to critique my settings.

19. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

@BillyBobBongo mate are you running another monitor off to the side? I have found with my 5700 xt that stuttering is 100% related to multiple monitors not running at the same refresh rate, I unplug my second monitor and I am stutter free and FPS is through the roof. Finding it really disappointing that AMD drivers are this bad at the moment and hoping for a big December update.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  20. BillyBobBongo

BillyBobBongo Registered

I'm just using a single monitor, I'm afraid. I do have the settings in rFactor 2 setup in VR form HMD + Desktop as I'm testing a lot of settings at the moment. That and if I use HMD only the dektop screen flickers like mad with the rF2 logo constantly.

Being a Mac user for as long as I have been, we're very much tied in to AMD Videocards, I am used to the fact that drivers for their products keep getting optimised over time. Having saved around €150, by not buying a 2070 Super, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being