Let's discuss the upcoming competition system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remco Majoor, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

No, I do not mean discussing how long it is taking. I am talking about how do we see this system, what do we expect from it, what do we want from it.

Rasmus and I did a little drive and talk going through a variety of things. Stuff like what kind of series we'd like to see, if a race every 2 hours is the best system or not, and how penalties should be applied.
    I think it's better to share our opinions about this, rather than complain about how long the system is taking.

Fushida and Rui Santos like this.
  2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Wouldn't it be better to wait for it to come out ?, then see how it is ?, and then be able to comment with ownership:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

Emery and Binny like this.
  3. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I actually think it's better to start talking about it before release, so the devs know what people think. It's always good to share opinions and feeedback to the devs whenever you think about something that they're working on. They might go "that's a good idea" and test stuff out at initial beta release.

J7166, Duvel, Marko and 2 others like this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just hope it is better than iracing and at least as good as SRS.

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

In what way do you want it to be better than iracing?

6. Stevy

Stevy Registered

The question is will you and me (so the users) be able to organize and performe our own events which will also include the use of the comp system, or have we to use whatever S397 feels like (like in iRacing) ?
    What about content, can we use everything ?
    So if I do a event with some friends and AI will it be the same in the comp system (with rating loss/gain) as when S397 do their 24h Le Mans ?

7. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I do think leagues like VEC should be implemented in the system as well. I do think so it should not be open to everyone to start a league that works in this system. This would 1; make the amount of series oversaturated, and 2; it will make it vurnerable to exploits etc.

8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Very quickly i just hope it can have "official" competitions, ranking system and drivers racing according to their level/rank and different hours to race a given championship. I also HOPE that they don't forget the leagues and can allow leagues to be integrated into the system, kicking leagues in the butt after they keep rF2 alive for these last years would be really bad... Something like a page where you have all the info about that league, championships and link to website or discord.

I also think that mods should be allowed aswell in the racing system (private leagues) because there are very good cars and tracks that would be a disaster if they will stay away from it.

Biggest problem for me is the content itself, without oval racing or some great cars not updated anymore (like the FR 3.5 2014) i think we'll be missing some good series or attract more variety of simracers...

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

In most ways.

• No overlapping events, so if you want to have a few races in a row in the evening, it would be managable.
    • No content separation by license levels. Pros should also race Miatas, and further content should be reachable quite soon, because it shouldn't take hundred of races to define if person is capable of clean racing, should be able to drive any car then.
    • No rating separation from racecraft and race results. People must do their best for as clean as possible racing while trying to achieve as best as possible results, not one or another, but both always...
    • Do something to motivate people use more variety of content
    • Motivate racing in poor conditions. Rain. Darkness. Overcast weathers.
    • Have straight and simple global leaderboards. National leaderboards.
    • Leaderboards for track records, with wet track laptimes separately.
    • Leaving track is not necessary a poor racecraft, sometimes it is a must to avoid an accident.

10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I would add better options to race with team mates to that list, when it comes to racing in ranked races. iRacing is a desaster when it comes to pickup racing with friends. A simple option to join a race as a team would be the best solution, similar in how you join as a squad in FPS games for example.

11. Stevy

Stevy Registered

While I understand your motivation I have to say that your points are exactly the reasons why people play iRacing in the first place.
    Because you can't just hop into a F1 race without driven any laps on the service/game.
    Because if you have a certain level you will NOT be put into a split with people who are way offpace to you.
    Because you have to/can create a realistic race carrer in order to drive your favorite (mostly fast) cars.

If you won't do it exactly like this or even better, again that's the reason people play and love iRacing in the first place, you can already stop and bin everything and start with something else.

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

1. Why not.
    2. Personally I like to race where drivers are faster than me, I also don't mind people who are much faster or much slower in the server. But I know there are people who are "disappointed" if they are not the fastest in the server and quits when they can't massage their ego.
    3. I think it is not necessary. But perhaps it would be quite kool, if you would be forced to literally grind to get licenses and if you could still make great push forward by racing any low licenses. To me Miata is better fun than most of the stuff that comes next TBH lol

Fushida likes this.
  13. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

1 is pretty simple to answer. A F1 car, hyper car, and even LMP2 cars, are pretty hard to setup. You need a lot of racing and setup experience in easier to setup cars. They are quite hard to control for drivers that don't have the experience.

Then you might think about "but they will be in a lower 'split' so no problem right?". If you look at iRacing, the road to pro (when it was F1) had usually only 1 or 2 grids, because of the same reason I stated before. It takes a lot of time and skill to tame them, and be quick with it. When anyone can just join, it will end up with 1 rookie losing control and taking out one of the top drivers when being lapped.

point 3 is actually something rF2 can do better than iRacing. iR uses the safety rating pretty much in a way so you have to buy more of their content to get to the top. rF2 could shorten that road by making less licences. between D and C is not really much difference in iR. iR ahs R-D-C-B-A-P, which are 6 classes. rF2 could go a different route of only having Rookie-Club-Pro for example. Rookies for the newcomers, club for the experienced less competitive drivers, pro for the best of the best competition wise. This will divide the biggest experience and skill levels, but still avoids the massive grind you need in iR.

This is just an example though.

slatanek likes this.
  14. Stevy

Stevy Registered

1. Because If you don't have any experience with the game and/or car you don't know what you're doing.
    That's when you do a 360 at the standing start and create a dangerous situation for OTHERS (or EVERYONE behind you) becaue YOU can't control the car and don't know when or how to brake for a corners. YOU are a threat for other peoples races and enjoyment
    2. Well, I'm sure that it won't be fun for you to race with the Top20 from WFG. And If they start to lap you, because you are way off pace it again creates a dangerous situation where you can end up killing top 1 or 2 of the race. Again because YOU are way to slow and offpace
    3. Well if you are Pro of course can still race Miata or rookie cars. But you should not be allowed to race a F1 with zero knowledge.
    Off course L. Hamilton or Vettel can drive a miata or Karts. But nobody will put a Noname into a LMP1 and let them race 24h Le Mans.

slatanek and Remco Majoor like this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

1. Sure, but what if you could handle it, what if you are actually already good despite being new in iR, but game still makes you grind equally much as anyone else because license system is simply flawed, anyone can climb up by driving like grandpa by the white lines for a week or two, and everyone has to do that. System needs better more efficient way to sort out players.

2. @Stevy you know what are the possibilities to end up in a grid of top 20 fastest guys on earth for random guy ? Probably zero. And YOU are not dangerous if YOU look at mirrors, and know when YOU are an obstacle, and YOU just simply move out of the way of much faster guys. It is not hard to learn.

3. To me it is just flawed that such fun series soon hardly pays off in terms of gaining license, you have to race higher license series, which to me are much less interesting. And if you strugle at studying the car and keeping it in control you are probably going to suck with a new car anyway despite having finished all the previous "levels". And you probably could jump into any car and stay trouble free if you just tell yourself to be careful enough, it is actually simple, you must not try to associate with professional, you just climb in a car and drive it as fast as you are able without loosing control... And we all know that crashes sometimes happens anyway for everyone.

16. Binny

Binny Guest

Spot on. IMHO thread waste of time. We have had no input and will not have any until its release or at a min beta release.

David Kolody and juanchioooo like this.
  17. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

As I said, it doesn't have to be grinding. I'm no fan of the safety rating either, because i think the skill rating (rated on how well you finish over other guys) is already doing the job for both safety and skill.

Point 2 would work, if all drivers were just like you. i can tell from experience though, they aren't.

point 3 I don't really understand your first sentence, so can't really comment about it.

Then you don't know S397 and what they actually said about this competition system. They are very willing to listen, this is just a thread so people start talking about it, so they will get opinions from the consumer where they can work with.

slatanek likes this.
  18. Binny

Binny Guest

^^^ I know what they said and yes they are willing to listen, if they wanted it right now they would have put up their own post. IMHO that will only happen 1ce released as beta or full release. They are not idiots had heaps of opinions/feedback over last 2 yrs probably more in the works than we would know about regarding the new UI.

David Kolody likes this.
  19. slatanek

slatanek Registered

I think they should actually limit the amount of series to race. If every car/track combo will be allowed it will end up like it always does - full GT3 races, empty races in the more difficult/obscure cars. 3 to 5 races in a given series a day would be nice - not too many to prevent fragmentation and not too few as to give people working on different schedules the chance to race. It goes without saying that overlapping races in different series should be avoided - people shouldn't be forced to choose between their favorite car A and B (this could also lead to populating races that people otherwise wouldn't run, ie. if one finishes a GT3 race and the only following available race is a March 1976 people would be more likely to join the March race instead of going fundamentalist GT3)

Concerning series - it would be nice to have GT3's, GTE's, LMP2's, LMP3's and what other modern series have you, since those would be the most likely ones to gain traction from the get go, but also always have a Classic series where people would be able to race classic cars. The Classic series could run on a monthly rotation schedule changing the involved cars giving people looking for something else the chance to try something different each time.

Word on the Rating. It should internally be separate (Safety and Skill points), weighted and presented as one score to the user. Meaning if someone is winning a lot but also has a lot of incidents, those incidents count more than skill points and lead to gaining less overall points.

avenger82 and Remco Majoor like this.
  20. Stevy

Stevy Registered

1) well if you claim that you already can drive then it should be no problem for you to proof it with a few short races. After that you're good to go and drive whatever you like. Just look at iRacing (again). If you know what you're doing you can get A license in 2 or 3 days, or 1 if you have a day off :) if wou have control and racecraft you will waste no time in the lower class. And that Grandpa thing. Well, you can grind it with driving like one off course. But then you will end up with people who grind just like you.

I'm not saying iRacings system is flawless or perfect. And you also will find your crashfest races there. But it's a lot better public racing than any other racing game and/or sim. And it's also thanks to such a system.

2) Well it's good for you if you know this and how to react and behave in certain situations. But let me tell you that in 90%+ it ends in total chaos and carnage. Also isn't it strange if you end up getting lapped in a short (max 1h) race by cars your same class ?
    It's no for for the lapped nor the lapping cars.

3) Again, good for you if you know this yourself (but let me tell you, later in a real race everything is suddenly different regarding your own attitude. BTW: Did you once play iRacing yourself ? Just asking out of curiosity). Nobody is forcing you get all the levels. If you're happy and just need level or license x than be it. Drive what you want. You don't need every license. If, for example, F1 or GT3 are boring for you then why bother ? You don't need them anyway.

Again, I get your motivation and, maybe, fear that content will get locked away because of such a system. But just look at all the racing games out there. iRacing has the best public non league racing, period.
    The system if far from perfect or flawless but in principle it's working like it should. That's why it's so popular.
    If you dont want something like this you can still search for leagues which have their own rules or don't use such a system.
    Again, nobody is forcing you. But the sad reality shows that such a system is needed and that it don't work without one.

Well, what do you expect on a game forum ?
    I hope and believe the developer also reads here. And with such threads they will know what we think or want from it.
    And I will get the old one: Why do you even read everything (and comment) if you don't bother ?

slatanek and Remco Majoor like this.