Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

start rfactor first then steam vr.
    i have flicker to when using HMD only,not when using HMD+mirror

2. Phaze1

Phaze1 Registered

Hi All. I'm using an HP Reverb with a PC that I recently built. The PC should be plenty fast with an Intel i9 processor, 32mb RAM and 2080ti video card. I'm getting great FPS rates (often near 90 fps) with most games (iRacing, Pcars2, and the non-modded tracks in rFactor2).

However I'm having trouble getting decent frame rates with some of the modded tracks Iin rFactor2, for example Mid-Ohio and Road America. Even when I turn detail down in game (which doesn't seem to do much with these tracks) I'm typically getting frame rates in the 40 - 50 FPS range. Any idea how I can improve the frame rates for these modded track? Maybe I don't understand how modded tracks are working or different than original tracks. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I know that VirtuaLM tracks like Mid-Ohio are very CPU heavy. Since CPUs didn't improve much the last years but GPUs did, i doubt you will get high FPS on VirtuaLM tracks.

4. Phaze1

Phaze1 Registered

Thanks for your response Vittorio. Just curious can do users get much higher frame rates using triple monitors on VirtualLM tracks? If not how are users able to run these tracks. Thanks for helping me understand.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

VR is more demanding on cpu use than triple screens are, so if cpu is the limiting factor there will be differences. Having said that, I think I might have lower fps at vlm mid Ohio (on triples) so they might just be more demanding overall.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  6. Andregee

Andregee Registered

90fps in Vr means 90 fps per eye. The cpu has to calculate one frame per eye instead of only one. Even with a triple screen and multiscreen setting it is very difficulty to get enough frames on these tracks. They are simply very poorly optimized

7. Depco

Depco Registered

that is a normal message. i get it too. s397 need to continue to polish the vr experience.

8. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

Hmm did someone notice better loading times for VR? For me adds VR +50% loading times.

And: With my Rift why i have 45fps (it change often from 90 to 45) on many tracks but not cpu/gpu is on max load? even on an empty server. I even dropped down many graphic settings but it doesnt help.

(i7,2x ssd, 16gbram, vega64,win10)

9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

An i7 has minimum 4 cores and 8 threads, some has 6 core and 12 threads. rFactor2 can´t handle so many threads. No other simulation can handle it. When you notice workload on all threads in the taskmanager, thats the result of the Windows task scheduler which shifts the load back and forth between the cores within milliseconds. So you see many cores only partially loaded, but actually only 2 to 3 cores would be high loaded, only the load just jumps back and forth quickly and you see 2 cores only 50 instead of 100% loaded. Since the existence of multicore cpu you should forget the CPU load as in indicator of a CPU limit. Look at the GPU load. Is it far away of 99%, your CPU is to slow for the GPU. So you are simply CPU limited

Ernie likes this.
  10. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

Very interesting, today I wacth my CPU and GPU load in afterburner and I start to cry.

11. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

I know how threadhandling works. I only wanted to clear out that my hardware dont like to be the limit in this case since i dont see high loads. I dont have 100% load on a single core while racing.

12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Thats what i told you. 100% load at one oder two cores is very unlikely even in CPU limit if the software can handle only one or two core

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the I5 8600k has more strength in two cores than the I7 8700k in its first two cores, so when playing it is better than the i7:cool:

14. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

cherry picking dont help me here. my i7 with 4,2ghz base clock is not the newest anymore but like i said i dont think my pc is the strange limit. perhaps a missconfiguration? I dont know, thats because i ask here.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Pic below is i7 8700k stress test and as you can see all cores and threads are running at 5.0 GHz with 100 % loads. i7 8700k has default Max Turbo Frequency 4.7 GHz and if you like to run all cores and threads at 4.7 GHz you can simply use QuickCPU (core parking), System power plan > High performance, Core parking index > 100% and Turbo boost index > 100% and all cores/threads are running at 4.7 GHz.
    i5 8600k (Max Turbo Frequency 4.3 GHz) and i7 8700k (Max Turbo Frequency 4.7 GHz) has same single core performance when same multiplayer is used and in rF2 game experience and FPS is equal but with default multiplayer i7 8700k is performing better in games. ;)

rb.jpg

juanchioooo likes this.
  16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

You asked and you got the answer but you don´t beliefe. I am not a noob in those questions, i know what i am talking about.
    I know many people with an i7 even on more than 4.2 ghz including me and none of the systems is capable to keep steady 90 fps.
    rFactor2 can handle 3 core with a noticeable gain.
    Test it yourself in monitor mode by assigning one, two, three and 4 cores in the task manager Rfactor. Be sure to use the native cores. You will see that from 2 to 3 there is hardly any growth and from 3 to 4 almost nothing.
    So and if now only 3 cores are really used, how please the CPU total load at 100%. That doesn't work. A CPU limits already clearly earlier than with 100% if the software cannot use all threads fully and one recognizes this evenly only by the fact that the graphic card is not fully loaded.
    Even at 4.8ghz my i7 can´t provide stable 90fps so that i drive allways with constant 45fps in ASW mode because i hate the stutter while switching between 90 and 45fps.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Guys you are talking too much about CPU regarding FPS.
    The most important is that GPU load is at 99-100% to get max FPS.
    My advise is to use 12 visible AI and in-game settings which gives you 99-100% GPU load.
    It is also vise to use S397 content be-course many third party tracks are poorly optimizes that you don`t get more than 50-70% GPU load no mater what you do.
    0 AI.jpg

18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

rfactor only uses two cores, the i5 is stronger in two cores, not in a stress test or a test

In reality, most games only use two cores, obviously in multi-thread it is only slightly lower

19. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

I can force GPU load increasing SS

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  20. Andregee

Andregee Registered

And how do you want to handle the fact that the GPU is used 99% of the time if the CPU is not fast enough?
    Ok you can increase the supersampling as mentioned above, then the GPU will be more busy. Stupid that you don't get higher frame rates.