Forced cockpit view - reasons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lazza, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

There are basically only joypads with the two analogic joysticks and two analogic triggers in the back these days, and yes you can easily see the difference in the inputs compared to a steering wheel.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

As said, i'm no expert with and i don't use gamepads or joysticks or similar controller.
    I just thought that these kind of controllers are also used for shooter games for example, where you need to be able to control the movement smoothly and not on/off as with analog controls, to target to an opponent.
    And for that you would need a digital part in the controller.

The cheater himself did proof it, after we could show him on videos what he did.
    Believe it or not, it don't matters for me.
    And for the rest of your post i just can say that i don't want to start a philosophical discussion here. :D

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well, firstly that person (rF2) hasn't had much practice driving with those controls, because the braking especially is terrible. Someone dedicated to it could get much much smoother in a matter of weeks.

Second, the old analog joystick (these days, only for flight sims) would work also, and wouldn't immediately be apparent against a lot of drivers out there..

Obviously this is heading off topic, but unless I'm mistaken all we're really doing here is discussing the ability to detect someone using a less than optimal controller. (steering wheel and pedals tends to work because it's a good separation of controls into different limbs; if there's a better way cars would probably already be using it) And then we're back to: assuming we can detect it, some people will want to be able to block it so everyone's driving cars the same way, while others will perhaps be open to someone using an inferior method but still able to navigate safely and therefore provide an opponent - and even better, an opponent who has less potential speed than you do.

A closer parallel to the discussion of cockpit view would be some alternative controls that actually give better feel or control than a wheel and pedals can. That's something you'd want to stop because, obviously, that's not fair on the rest who are driving like drivers do. And the same goes with view, where an alternative view can be an advantage.

Ari Antero likes this.
  4. vitto

vitto Registered

Krusti, without offense, the videos you posted show only two people who have not yet figured out how to set the controller correctly, the first driver could be a beginner given that he uses the third-person view

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

No doubt there are skilled people with a properly set controller, i used to play GTR2 with a controller a lot when i was a kid, but even if you set the speed sensivity, a dead zone etc, there are always some situations where the use of it is clear.

For example, let's suppose you are using a quite high speed sensivity, it may look smooth in the inputs, but what happens if you have to avoid a danger at 300kmh in a quick fraction of time? Nothing, you will not avoid it because at 300kmh your max steering angle with a high speed sensivity is too little, checking the inputs then you will see a very tiny swerve, enough to make you think something is not right (with a steering wheel you can turn lock to lock no matter the speed, unless you are using a DD wheel i guess).
    How do you solve this? Avoiding the use of a high speed sensivity setting, which means a more twitchy steering input. But, one can be skilled enough to move that twitchy stick in a smooth way, no doubt, but what happens during a counter-steer? The counter-steer is so fast that make you think this guy has the fastest arms of the world or is simply using a controller.

At the end, if you want to check if one is using a steering wheel or not, you can, totaly different situation with the driving view.
    Also, at the end, there are 1000 different ways to exploit a racing game, i can join a server with fixed setup which include a wide steering lock setting (eg 900 (20º)), i can then just go in my setting tab and decrease the steering wheel rotation to 450º.

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

...or he has set 180° from lock to lock, in the steering wheels driver, like i prefer to do sometimes. ;)