Flashing lights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rui Santos, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

https://www.fiawec.com/en/lights/88
    Any flash of headlights on the track needs to be individually actioned by the driver without any assistance. A sequence cannot last more than 2 seconds and cannot have more than 4 flashes.

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Guys, let's not be lost in technical aspects, we need flashing lights, like there is in some simulators, i see lots of people talking about this, we don't want 10 seconds flash, but a brief 5 flashes for example, 1 or 1,5 seconds...

3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but that's a good way to determine the rule - just use the one from the real sanctioning body.

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

There's a simpler way for Crew Chief users:

CCFlashMacro.jpg

@The Iron Wolf strikes again! :cool:

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

It's a great trick and i love creative people, but again... we need this integrated in the sim... :D

Ernie likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have created the above macro, but I don't see any way to use it. Looking at the button commands in the console and there is no macro listed to assign either voice or button.

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

currently, binding button to macro is not supported, but we will look into adding that. You can trigger it via voice command in the "Voice Command" group box, under "Integer Type"

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That worked! Thanks IW. I think the delay between flashes was alittle slow. I'm gonna reduce the timings some.

JimmyT likes this.
  9. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

How good is that?
    Pretty sure I've said it before but "CC is the best plugin EVER" Thanks again @The Iron Wolf you're a genius.

David O'Reilly likes this.
  10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Excellent!
    It worked for me with "Regular Type", I'll have to find out what "Integer Type" means...

I did find two issues (I'm using the ACC beta version) with the macros
    1. The "Repeated key presses" option didn't work, the headlights came on and stayed on. When I used the macro again they turned off.
    2. I selected a "Confirmation message" but it didn't save it in the macro and I never heard it.
    I didn't look into either in any depth.

11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Thanks, all credit here goes to Morten on our team, he came up with Macro Editor idea :)

12. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Well done that man.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

so I had another thought, (ssshhh) how would I edit this flashing light to include a 2nd use. When entering the pits, many cars engage a flashing headlight whenever the pitlane speed limiter is engaged. I don't imagine we could tie the two together, but how would I edit the flashes so that if I say "Pitlane Flash" the lights start blinking, and remain blinking til I say "Pitlane Flash" again.(as I remove the pitlane speed limiter for example)

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie that would be a perfect problem for a plugin to solve, from Seven Smiles for example. A plugin can see when you're in the pits, and can see whether the headlights are on, so could automatically flash the headlights. I started work on such a plugin (doing manual headlight flashes, and could do pitlane flashing too) then discovered the headlights are a 'vehicle control' and can't be (directly) controlled via a plugin, and stopped because I really wanted a neat solution. If Seven Smiles has already got a 'flasher' plugin prototype working that would be ideal, it just simulates the appropriate keypress sent to the game (same system as he's used for the realistic gearshift plugin, which does the same thing with clutch).

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Simple enough, the shared memory has
    Code:
    ('mSpeedLimiter', ctypes.c_ubyte),   # whether speed limiter is on

and also
    Code:
    ('mInPits', ctypes.c_ubyte),                  # between pit entrance and pit exit (not always accurate for remote vehicles)

Simplest answer (for me) would be to add it to the gearshift program - I can see this ending up as "rF2 general add-ons" program :)

davehenrie likes this.
  16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I haven't been able to get the config program to recognize when I push a button on my TM TS-PC wheel. configured in windows and works correctly in game. The button has no in-game assignment.
    edit, here is a sample of what is in the DOS box.

File "gui.py", line 181, in <lambda>
    File "gui.py", line 238, in set_control
    AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'button'
    I take it back, restarted the program and it read the button press. I have one free button on my wheel, do I need both the toggle and the flash commands assigned?(I have the DIK_H assigned on the right)

Seven Smiles likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

alright, works great. It threw me for a moment when the message center was cycling through headlights on/headlights off etc. I had checked the box for automatically flashing the lights in the pits. So it was working correctly. Is there anyway to slow down the flash while in the pits? instead of on/off/on/off/on/off could it be: on / off / on / off / ? Perhaps at half the speed of the on track flash...???

19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

New "davehenrie request" version uploaded :D Post 36 updated.

Lazza and davehenrie like this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Ok tested the flash utility again, Made sure I was running deep into a night time session to verify no DQ incidents. The ONE KEY THING TO REMEMBER is turn on your lights in the pits BEFORE you power up the car. This way you can see the lights are on. If you have the flashing enabled in the pits like I've done, then it's dang near impossible to tell if the car registered your keypress.
    So be forewarned, click the RACE button in the garage screens and when the cockpit appears, turn on your lights. Then hit the power and starter motor switches. Very Well done utility Mr Smiles!!! That fast blink is perfect while on track. Of course the AI doesn't understand why I'm flashing, but it gives me yet another bit of racing immersion. Thanks!!!!

Corti and Lazza like this.