Rotation/Angle not reset to default 900°

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by sherpa25, Aug 8, 2019.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

T300 wheel, after any session, every time I exit the game, it doesn't return the rotation back to 900°. Seems to be a problem with AMS too. It works fine with R3E, AC/ACC. I'm sure this has been reported already, but I can't find the thread. Can this be addressed?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3. zaphman

zaphman Registered

For information, I put together an automation task (via autoit) to be able to control Thrustmaster wheels. Setting rotation lock and gains. It currently supports TS-PC Racer. See project on Gihub. Just run before/after game.

4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, it does work, because the driver value never changes. I have a T500 and use this method.

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks mucho! Seems to work so far. Oh, also using a T300, set at 900° in CP. While at it, though I doubt it, would this affect FFB? It somewhat felt different than I had yesterday, but had no changes to FFB settings.

Will download zaphman's too as this issue also affects other sims (AMS)... wondering why there's no issue w/ R3E.

Thanks mucho, too! Thought there was a TH-Auto.exe. How do I compile this? As my CP is all at 100%. :)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It shouldn't affect anything from the game's side, and I don't think our wheels will be affected in any other way. More advanced wheels that have on-wheel adjustments like sensitivity or linearity could be tricked because the set rotation range never changes but then you're actually more limited in movement (so, as a simple example, a change in linearity should have its full effect over your new 400° lock, but because the driver thinks it's still 900° it's not using the full range of linearity in that smaller region). I'm assuming the game applies any of its FFB effects over the current effective range rather than as a percentage presented to the wheel - but that's not certain, so any of those effects that might be affected (haha) could change things. Personally I haven't noticed anything, but I haven't done testing either. I'd be wary of placebo though.

As far as particular games, I'm sure it's possible to set the rotation (and any other wheel parameters) and put them back when leaving the game, it's just a matter of supporting a wheel well enough to actually do it. Some obviously lack in this area. The best solution is all games do, but rF2 has pretty much negated the need for supporting every single wheel (for rotation purposes) by providing this optionable feature. It just needs to be better integrated into the UI so it's easier to use/select.

sherpa25 likes this.
  8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Will keep testing. FWIW, what FFB settings do you have? Just tested so far with the GT3 Porsche and Callaway with CP all at 100%, in-game 75% & Min Force at 5%, center felt quite weak... unlike last I remember it was fine.

9. zaphman

zaphman Registered

Try https://github.com/mattno/TH-Auto/releases - under assets there should be an EXE. It might need some tweaking to support the T300 wheel though.

10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Didn't for me on a tspc racer, I'll try again but when I left rf2 last nite the rotation in cp was 432, where I leave at 900 default.

11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks. What kind of tweaking? Can't I just run it with my wheel's parameters?

Update: Right, running the .exe doesn't seem to work for my wheel. Game Controllers has my wheel as 'Thrustmaster T300RS Racing Wheel'.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You probably missed one of the steps. The whole point is the game doesn't change the wheel's angle, it just uses FFB to fake it.

I use very similar settings, only 1% min force, usually 0.70 for FFB Mult. 100% in the CP.

When I get some time I'll flick between the two settings (software lock and driver lock) and see if I feel any difference.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    sherpa25 likes this.
  13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Ah like a soft lock. Enable vehicle specific. Rotation?

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

something has changed, possibly with the TM control panel. I used to leave the CP at 900° and it would remain at that setting if I checked at some later date(after using rF2 of course)
    Now, it is showing 514° which was the setting assigned to my Aston Martin GT3. What version of the TM CP are you using?
    (just checked my version and it is the latest available.) I had not updated the TM CP in a while so that kinda surprised me.)Firmware 9.0 Driver 2.10.10.0

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sometimes it feels like we go around in circles.

@davehenrie Here's a report of it (note the date): https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/steering-lock-problem.50376/

(not sure if TM ever resolved it; but I got my TM wheel some time after that, and never noticed it because I never played other games. When I eventually did I noticed this happened, and remembered someone mentioning it, so I think it's been a while...)

@LokiD yes, soft lock.That's why you got the responses you got here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....hanging-the-wheel-rotation-in-wheel-cp.63310/

If you follow all the steps I've outlined and keep linking to in various threads, your control panel rotation will not change because rF2 will no longer change it. It will simply use FFB to create the 'stop' and therefore change the effective rotation on each vehicle. I believe iRacing has done this for a very long time.