Aston Martin Setup Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vyrush, Aug 3, 2019.

1. vyrush

vyrush Registered

Guys, any help or baseline setups that someone can provide.
    I am finding the default setup a bit difficult to drive on!

Any help will be much appreciated

2. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

No one can help you better than you can help yourself.

1) Learn to define the deficiencies of cars handling. "Difficult" is not one of them. Entry understeer, exit oversteer, those are.
    If you cant do that, then setup wont matter for you anyway, focus learning to drive first.
    2) Google rF(2) or any sim or any real car setup guides, matrixes, explanations. There are tens of good ones just waiting for you to read them.
    Find the appropriate settings that cure the handling troubles you experience. Test, analyze, improve, and you will end up with a setup that suits yourself the best.

vitto and Mike Froom like this.
  3. slatanek

slatanek Registered

David O'Reilly had a setup guide in a pdf form. Look it up if you will.

4. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Hi mate, the following is from memory, I'll take an actual look tonight when I'm home, but it should make it more stable overall.

Preload drop a couple of clicks
    Front toe between -.2 and -.3
    Rear toe close to zero if not zero
    rear downforce up a couple of clicks
    front ARB up a click
    Rear ARB down a click
    weight forward a couple of clicks
    front camber -2.0
    rear camber -1.0
    front pressure 2-5 psi higher than rears
    rear pressure lowest possible
    brake force down a couple of clicks
    brake balance forward a couple of clicks

try that as a base and let me know, as I said I'll take a look at my actual base setup tonight.

5. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

So for a race i did in the Aston at Brands Hatch this was my base setup:

Preload 1
    Rear Wing 9
    Radiator tape 25%
    FR ARB 3
    RR ARB 1
    FR Toe -.234
    RR Toe 0
    FR Tyres 155 kPa
    RR Tyres 150 kPa
    Comp S7M
    FR Camber -2.69
    RR Camber -1.8
    BB 52:48
    Brake Duct 33%
    Max Brake 98%
    TC 1
    ABS 3

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

would anyone like to add the ride height to best enable the rear diffuser?

7. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

I left it off my settings because in my opinion you need to use something like Z1 Analyser to see if the car is bottoming out and adjust height based on that.

8. slatanek

slatanek Registered

As far as I know you want the back end as close to the ground as possible for optimal diffuser performance. It can have side effects however. So it's a matter of testing how low can you go

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Don't spread misinformation around. That and telling people to buy that so called "guide". None of that is helpful.

@vyrush Want some help? Text me on discord. Will be easier this way. If you don't want to then I suggest doing what Risto told you in first response with exception of the 2nd advice since 80-90% of those stuff are copy-pastes of each other, some not even bothering to fix some mistakes from the other "guides" that they copy from.

Also make sure you don't jump from track to track. Go to one track that you know like back of your hand so you can be sure that at least your points and lines are on point and put as much fuel in the car as it can carry (in Aston it is 115L) and drive until there's nothing in the tank. Once you are done. Do it again, but this time try to adjust your driving to a point you start to feel it is an improvement from the last stint you did. If your laptimes improved and stayed consistent throughout the run that's the moment when you start tweaking.

One of the biggest mistakes anyone could ever make is not doing the previous step and start making adjustment in the setup without knowing for sure whether some odd behavior was on the setup or on you. Also completing those stints will give you clear idea what the car was doing more often, understeer, oversteer, drop the pace after few laps, lock up on braking. What you are after is a pattern. Having one odd oversteer moment doesn't necessarily mean your setup is bad, you might have done sth out of sync that has led to that mistake, it could be very small detail, but enough to upset the car. So there's no point jumping the smoking gun.

Since you are a beginner or at least you sound like a beginner your goal is to have a car that you can rely on and one that can cope with your not always perfect inputs. That means you need kind of compromised setup that won't be ultimate laptime monster. To chase that setup you need to be 100% sure that all your inputs are exactly on point and perfectly executed, if they are not, such setup will do more harm than good.

See you on discord or wish you good luck and have fun if you decide to work on your own. Whatever floats your boat. ;)

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  10. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Default-setup is really horrible. Just did this one at Silverstone and feels decent for me. Wing is rather low, so increase it if it's too oversteering.

Attached Files:

11. vyrush

vyrush Registered

Thanks for the reply, in general, what i meant was the default is difficult for me drive is, I cant get out off the corners, as the back end step out, the same happens, if i try to brake late into corner during entry, where i will get a massive over steer. I have seen some vids, i tried using those as reference points for braking and turning in, but there's no way i am able to do that on the default set.

I am not the fastest, neither am i trying to be the fastest, but i wouldn't call myself the slowest either. I have good days in rF2 when it launched, but was away from sim for a long time. Currently, I am on a 2.00.1xx, but i can feel there's atleast a low 59.xxx there for me, but with some setup changes that i have made, it seems highly unlikely currently.

I will give this a try mate, and let you know. appreciate you sharing your setup!

@Ronnie - you got DM..