A little Eye Candy & a bit more realism

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by JRS, Aug 3, 2019.

1. JRS

JRS Registered

Almost every other sim has stuff like this already. It would really add some icing to this cake.

- Particles. Actual rubber bits from the laid down rubber.
    - Dirt/Gravel/Grass when touching track edges or going offroad.
    - 3D grass with the above mentioned particles.
    - Exhaust like GTR2/GTL
    - Actual brake wear / failure
    - A proper gearbox / clutch
    - Other component failures based on abuse of equipment like clutches, punctures, flats, differentials, cylinders camshafts and or valves.
    - Crash particles. Composites do shatter bits and pieces.
    - Windshields / Car bodies that show gradual dirt buildup and windshields that maybe crack up from large impacts.
    - More detachable parts and some kind of crushable, vertex like damage.
    - More sensitive damage.
    * I've played around with some basic modding enough to know it wouldn't be difficult to implement a 'Realistic Damage' Mode through a forced upgrade. It would simply point to a different 'damage.ini' file like you can do with different color rims, different FFB levels, or component upgrades in the car.

Some of these simple immersive things combined with what's already a decent drive would certainly bring this to a new level. Look at PC2. Consider how much better this would be with some of those visuals and the great driving and physics of rF2.

I understand there are many things that need to be worked on or addressed but at the same time, a few more 'current' features to keep the naysayers quiet. 8)

$0.02

felirrari, VirusGR42, Hazi and 2 others like this.
  2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Some of that is in the sim now. Dirt is thrown up when dropping a wheel off the edge of the track.
    I've heard gravel rattling around under my fenders when going off into a gravel trap and then coming back on the track. For the next few hundred yards/meters you can hear it. I don't know if it affects the grip on the track.

I believe real road supports marbles off line. I don't know when that happens though.

3D grass is supported and is in some tracks but not used very much. See Marcel's interview*

Brake failure is definitely supported. It would be nice if brake wear could require brake pad changes during endurance races though.

I've heard Crew Chief tell me that I have a puncture, but I don't know how well that's modeled.

I know there's exhaust heat haze, but I don't know whether that's mod dependent. I've never seen it except in youtube videos.

You can definitely damage suspension parts and detach wheels, wings and even suspensions in a crash.

As far as dirt buildup on the windshield, that was there and removed because of an issue. See interview*

* you should definitely read the 4 part interview with Marcel at RaceDepartment.

bwana likes this.
  3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

My personal opinion is a bit different and i really don't understand why people want to equalize all racing simulations.
    I really love to have the choice between different working and looking simulations.
    For example, i really don't need 3D grass.
    What do you do on track?
    Racing or watching the environment?
    If you like that, you can use a game that has it, like i can use a game that don't has it.
    Be happy that you have the choice. ;)

The Iron Wolf and bwana like this.
  4. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I want rF2 to have the best of everything. Obviously there are compromises that need to be made. Based on what I've read S397 seems to want what most SIM drivers want when it comes to compromises.

JRS likes this.
  5. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

But what is the best for you, must not be the best for me. ;)
    What always disturbes me, when i read posts like the OP has written, is that for me, it sounds like somebody that goes to Volvo and tells the car dealer that the Volvo that he wants to buy has to have a BMW engine, the BMW interior, the shape of a BMW, the technic of the BMW and the metallic painting that a BMW has.
    You know what i mean?
    There are always these comparisons "like Ac has", "like iracing has" and so on.

Honestly, i'm glad that rfactor 2 don't has all these, for me unneccesary, visual gimmicks.

I personally prefer to have a good working simulation of a cars physics and as said, i really don't need in the wind waving 3D gras.
    Really not.
    But in the end there is no wrong or right, just personal opinions.
    I just hope that S397 will use the resources to improve the physics and not to add visual gimmicks.

7. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Clouds participate in immersion and visual realism.

But you must not look at them while driving to the limit !

Delete the clouds ;)

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

As said, we all have our personal preferences. ;)

DrivingFast likes this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

And you know that my preferences are realism and physics, very widely.

But I love RF2, and I would like it to be the best possible, including in non-priority areas.

At the moment the number 1 priority of S397 is not realism.

But I'm glad that the simulation is progressing in other areas.

I agree, 3D grass is not a priority!

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Only thing I would want in the graphics department is better cockpit shadows, I think that would help a lot with immersion.

slatanek likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't miss 'real' clouds when I'm driving, but when I see footage from other games there's that "oh yeah, real clouds" moment. The sky tends to take up a fair proportion of the screen so it's worth considering graphics wise.

I think most of the OP points are valid, it's all stuff we'd realistically all like to see (haha... 'see'... ;)) , but obviously for many of us there are other things we'd rather see first. And that's ok, it's a wishlist :cool:

Emery, Ozzy and JRS like this.
  12. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Smoke from tires,sparks, walls marks when you hit them,rF1 suports this,more shaders for chrome parts etc,that have rain effects on them,because is not only the body paint and windows that get wet IRL,etc :)

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think @JRS wishlist has some needed and desirable items to improve simulation rather than things that make for a fancy screenshot.
    In my opinion he deserves a beer for not wanting something like fps hungry animated pitcrews that would have no bearing on the race result.

14. JRS

JRS Registered

After though, when watching replays or if items are streamed real-time or posted online later, it's more immersive for the viewer. Why not have it look good?

On the track, why not some rubber bits flying around in heavily marbled areas or if a car ahead touches some grass or dirt, I want that flying up. Why not? Force me to use a tear away. Somebody mentioned brake pads during pitstops in endurance races. Yes, and even though it's frivolous, animated pit crews. Why not? Yeah, sparks and wallflowers. For sure. How about a tire shredding on a stock car or a LMP2 and tearing up the body work?

I'm not complaining or dissing. It's a great sim. It's my go to favorite. When I reference other games, I only do so because most have a visual reference from those games so it helps to describe. I'm not saying be exactly those. Yes, choices are fine. I would rather one sim that does it all so well, I never need to go anywhere else.

A boy can dream...

felirrari and Bill Worrel like this.
  15. JRS

JRS Registered

Another couple ideas I had during a race I participated in today.

What about limiting the number of cars per race? So in a race session you only have 2 cars like a real time would. If you damage in practice or qualifying and the car is beyond repair, you can use your backup car. If you damage or wreck that, you're done. I think some mods already limit tire sets. All that stuff, imo, leads to more realism due to the need to manage your vehicle.

None of the little animated drivers in the cars has a drink tube going in the front of the helmet or any type of radio wiring along the side and back of the helmet.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  16. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

a better driver model would be nice...it is very important if playing in VR that you don't look like you have been run over by a steamroller..

felirrari likes this.
  17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Did i say that? No.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You did say you're glad that rF2 doesn't have "these gimmicks" which is a little bit the same thing. I once got lambasted for suggesting simple graphical additions like a set of keys in the ignition that swing around based on physics (in a roadcar, obviously) because apparently that's "not sim". But it is real life, and the addition wouldn't take away from anything else in the game, so why not?

If people want things to be more realistic, that can't be a bad thing, even if it's not about physics or racing structure/rules.

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I dont even need dirt in windshield, I'd like to have a windshield lol it just doesn't feel like it's there compared to other sims
    3D grass is not necessary if proper work is done on grass textures
    Marbels on track already exist, the problem is that for some weird reason they only appear if you have a setting on max, forgot which one it is now

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think all your suggestions and wishes are valid, but when you ask "why not?", I have a simple answer for you: development costs money and it is actually quite a challenge for a dev team of the size of S397 to balance the priorities in order to keep this sim going. I am still amazed though that people suggest points like yours (even if some of them are working allready or atleast nice to have), as there some very basic things that have been stagnating since ages in the core game. Proper drive train and clutch support, hybrids, wind, fog and ambient and track temps "should" have a much higher prioritiy in a driving and racing sim naturaly, and I think that's the point that some are trying to make. Btw, there is alot of stuff that rF2 does allready where some if not the most other products fall flat on their face and it led the way in alot of features that we consider natural today. It's crucial to note that every new feature needs to be implemented, tested, made bullet proof and maintained. But yeah, there is nothing wrong with dreaming ... ;)