Flying Tatuus cars as designed/intentional? Just curious.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by likes_simracing, Jul 20, 2019.

1. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

Hello! I am new here. I am new to rFactor2 also. I bought the game when I saw the announcement over at RD about the Tatuus cars. I love driving these cars. FFB, visuals, all of it. I'm sure the other cars are nice to drive also, but right now I only have time for the Tatuus.

I noticed the Tatuus cars fly off over crests. I only experienced this on Lime Rock so far (the only track I tried), but I suppose this could be true in other fast, sharp crests also. I posted a similar thread over at RD, but maybe the S397 team might miss it, so I decided to post here. My question is whether they are as designed/intended (so I can just throttle down), or if the car parameters might be making these cars susceptible to taking off and was not the intent (so the dev team can investigate and patch if needed).

I made a couple of videos that I uploaded to YouTube to document this. They are a bit long, but the TLDW is that I can consistently make the cars leave the ground for some time before crashing, except the F4 and USF.

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yeah, I didn't watch all of the video but the first 2 crashes in the top vid seem to be due to you damaging the front wing beforehand. First crash you hit the wall on the previous lap and looks like damaged aero. Second crash you hit the car in front and probably damaged aero. I would check that first if I was you. Maybe turn damage to 0 and see if you still have the problem??
    Just a thought. :)

Edit:Just watched the first instance in the bottom vid and seems you didn't hit anything so I may be wrong in my assumption. :(

Edit 2: I retract my earlier statement completely, they do want to fly.
    New theory "Red Bull Gives You Wings" :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  3. likes_simracing

No worries. The bottom video is actually the earlier vid (my first ever race). I then tried the other cars to see if they also take off. I had invulnerability/indestructible mode on all my attempts (newbie, so did not want to worry about car damage :), although I try to not hit the other AIs if I can help it). I can also launch the car if I hang back and let the AIs fight it out, then just go through alone. On some cars, I have to be on the throttle from the base of the hill to make it go up.

JimmyT likes this.
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Could be that there are issues with the car, but that crest is pretty famous for cars taking off. ;)

Emery, likes_simracing and JimmyT like this.
  5. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Lime Rock was my home track for many years. If you take the uphill too fast, you will take off. They had to put in the chicane because the ALMS cars would approach too fast and fly off. The video above shows just what will happen. The guard rail on the left will also bite you.

6. likes_simracing

Hey thanks for that video. Awesome to see that rFactor2 can replicate the same tumbling. And with clearer graphics :) I remember there was also a BMW LMR (one of my fave designs) taking off, but that was Road Atlanta. For now, I'll accept that I must slow down a little, without losing too much to the AIs, and just wait for a patch if the devs think it needs a correction. I'll also try the chicane version.

7. likes_simracing

Additional feedback to the devs: I experienced severe frame rate drops on the FT-50. The computer I used for my test is not topnotch, but I could get good framerate on everything else, except the FT-50, when it would stutter at certain parts of the track. I thought it was just memory filling up, but when I continued playing with another car type without exiting the game, I would get good framerates again.

Obbzy_XR_ likes this.
  8. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

I've had the same issue. First I thought it was something to do with the circuit I was on, but now it is clear it is the mod that gives impossibly bad framerates/stuttering. Not all the time, however, and occurs randomly at circuits (though it has occurred most at D'Albi and Malaysia (maybe a shader issue???)...

likes_simracing likes this.
  9. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Me too but mostly when there are cars in, entering or leaving the pits. Also if you can see the pit area from the track seems to spike FR.

likes_simracing likes this.
  10. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Similar thing will happen at Bathurst in F1 cars if you take too much front wing off. Especially at Sulman and McPhillamy.

Stefan_L_01 likes this.
  11. likes_simracing

New correction: I can in fact make the default setup F4-level (F4-T014 and USF-17) Tatuus cars takeoff easily, now that I am familiar with how to take the prior corner. YouTube link is on the "sticky Tatuus" thread. The only reason I would not take off completely is because I release the gas. It is fine, and I have a lot of fun controlling the car after blind landings, except the AIs do not have this problem. Worse, it is one of the few sections where I can gain time on them. :)

12. Pacchia

Pacchia Registered

To be honest it also happens on the credt at the beginning of the start/finish straight in Road America
    And I can't recall seeing that in real life although USF2000 raced there