Logitech G27 Rotation issue

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by StrawmanAndy, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Paulo Mendonça

Paulo Mendonça Registered

Sine Le Man's release, I've lost auto rotation for my G29 completely. I know this particular feature was fixed fairly recently by S397 for the G29. I remember reading the release notes with the fix months ago. Since Le Man's, though, I'm back to setting rotation on a per-car basis in the Logitech software... I know it's slightly unrelated but maybe something got messed up with the driver integration for Logitech software? I know Marcel hinted recentely about having major refactoring done in the code to accomodate the new UI.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Paulo Mendonça I linked to a guide in the second post for setting up software rotation. This avoids the need to set it per car, while the proper automatic adjustment isn't working.

3. Paulo Mendonça

I could swear I've followed that guide before, but it seems I made a mistake somewhere along the way. The issue is now fixed thanks to you, mate. You're a hero!

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, I just know the pain of having to manually adjust the rotation, so when I read someone's doing it I jump in and point out how to avoid it :D

For any standard wheel I'd just stick with that method for rF2. I think the only reason not to would be on-wheel adjustments like damper etc (some seem to have 10+ parameters) that may be affected by the wheel not knowing what the true rotation is. But I'm not even sure that's an issue.

5. Type88B

Type88B Registered

Hi, same problem here: my G27 doesn't match the steering wheel on screen.
    If I rotate the wheel about 45 deg, the on screen show 90 deg and driving is not easy this way: little G27 wheel movement result in exaggerate car steering.
    I've setup Controller.JSON as indicated by Lazza:
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default" 900
    “Steering Wheel Software Rotation" true
    “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” false
    On rF2 Options/Controls screen, "Veichle Set" is checked.
    Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago.
    I've tried to uninstall and re-install Logitech drivers 2 times but unsuccessfully.
    After that I've tried to change Controller.JSON settings of “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” to true and “Steering Wheel Software Rotation" to false.
    Now G27 wheel rotation and car steering wheel are back 1:1.

Maybe something is changed in rF2 with the last updates?

OS is Win 7 SP1 64 bit

oppolo likes this.
  6. Paulo Mendonça

This isn't obvious at first, but there're multiple "controller-name.JSON" files in that folder. Make sure you're editing the right one (the custom one you've saved and named in the UI after changing button assignments, etc). Then, after editing the file, go back in the game, select your configuration from the list and load it again, just to make sure.

7. Type88B

Type88B Registered

I've always edited the Controller.JSON in rFactor 2/UserData/player folder only. I've never touched the custom one in rFactor 2/UserData/Controller folder. After you highlighted to check the /Controller folder I've discovered that my custom JSON file have the correct settings:
    “Steering Wheel Software Rotation" true
    “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” false
    The strange thing is that I've had to edit the Controller.JSON (/player) in the opposite way to have the correct steering wheel behaviour.
    Thanks for pointing me this.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was going to suggest checking for steering help, as I didn't mention it in my other post. But the files can do strange things at times indeed; like you I only ever change the one standard file and never save or load profiles, and so far - touch wood - I haven't had it go weird.

9. Type88B

Type88B Registered

I've had a quick check on the Roadmap Update November 2018 where software wheel rotation has been introduced and found this: "In order to use this new system, you have to explicitly turn it on in your Controller.JSON file (which you can find in your UserData\player folder).".
    There is no mention about the JSON files on UserData/Controller.
    Maybe one of the devs can clarify this?

10. Paulo Mendonça

I really hope with the new UI these parameters get exposed properly so we can edit them more easily and the game itself can mess with the correct files so we don't have to guess.

11. oppolo

oppolo Registered

Thank you. Also here I solved the problem in this way. G25

12. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

Not working for me. Using G Hub and when I check the vehicle rotation it smashes the wheel all the way to the left or right.
    when I uncheck it and set the rotation to 900 its not accurate

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Honestly I think you should start a new thread and give specific information on your settings and what is and isn't working. It's not clear from your post, and people will probably respond to earlier posts and cause confusion.