[WIP] Nemuno Žiedas (Nemunas circuit)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by mantasisg, Jul 8, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Hi there, I'd like to present fresh conversion of Nemunas Ring aka Nemuno Ziedas.

It was done by @poozik0, and is available here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2508133480

Big thanks to poozik0 for finally bringing this track to rF2, which I have failed to do for a long time.

This post will be extended

Hello, I'm continuing on my path slowly introducing my content to rF2, as usual first step is basically just getting my stuff in game, and that step is halfway done now.

Here are a couple of videos from first version that I got in game.

A couple of fast laps around standard "Fast lap" layout with Megane Trophy car. With setting down sun and headlights on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPjVgP-uNh8&t

A lap around standard "Fast lap" layout, and a a lap around short lived 88-91 extended layout. Great fun with Holden Monaro in daytime.

Whats left to do ? Everything, and everything what seems done, I'd wish to improve.

Troubles: Pits are really confusing, needs some decisions (just like irl). Chicane just before finish line is quite a complication for race starts, in real life they would not drive through chicane at the race start.

Thanks for your attention, I hope you'll find the track to be fun, and satisfying.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    svictor, poozik0, Legend and 16 others like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

About real track

Located by the side of city Kaunas. It consists of great elevation changes and nice flowing. First races were held in sixties on public roads by the side where current purpose built track is. In 70s some more "public roads" already with new layout in mind was built, which in late 80s evolved into true purpose built race track, which still shared a section of what was "public road" it also had long tail which made for one more layout and doubled the length of the circuit, but unfortunately was abandoned shortly afterwards.

[​IMG]

I'm working on 1987 - till now bits. I hope some day to do two other. By the way present layout also wasn't totally same all the time. SIngle and double chicane has been used just before finish line, or none at all. Also track day layout with two aditional chicanes in a track. Also during the years some sections was repaved and widened.

At present Nemuno Ziedas is looking forward to major renovation, which would also change the track a bit, two more turns and more posible layouts would be added. Will that stay just as a project and track will keep on disintegrating, or if it the work will get done soon, i have no idea. But interesting times indeed.

PS I have walked through real track, and driven there. Also I have walked through the long tail bit of 1987 layout (after I modeled it), and I only had to do few minor tweaks after that haha

Legend, SRGP, Gasper Zupan and 18 others like this.
  3. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Thank you for your work is this discovery!

mantasisg likes this.
  4. pkelly

pkelly Registered

@mantasisg- thanks for the fascinating history lesson and creative graphics. I'm from BC, Canada and had no idea such a magical track keeps evolving. Kudos to Lithuanian motor sports fans :)

Mauro, mantasisg, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  5. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

This track looks like great fun! Will you be doing a version without the soul-crushing chicane?

pascom likes this.
  6. pascom

pascom Registered

Good job! :)

Track 1961-1966 possible?

Mauro likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well, I wouldn't cal that chicane soul crushing. On the contrary, without it the layout would feel lacking to me. The only thing with it is that it makes inconvenience for race start (not as bad as monza, but if you will have a grid consisting of drivers with poor racecraft, you might end up with multiple restarts), also there will hardly be a side by side finish. However, tell me how unique is that to have such chicane that goes right before the finish line. It creates very interesting and precision braking when coming at it, and then equally interesting exit, because the finish line is also almost an apex of the chicane exit. Also it makes a laptime a little bit longer for already short track. In AC I wasn't using chicane for extended layout, but perhaps it makes extended layout more entertaining as well. To sum up, IMO that particular chicane adds up for the rhythm and the flow of the circuit. Perhaps the older version, where they used double chicane there was too much, this to me feels just right.

@pascom I would like to make 61-66 track, and then I could also join it to make 74-86 track. I would want to, but it is not in the plans now. I remember Sergio also said that he would be interested in 61-66 layout, I said to him that I will try to make an onboard video around there, but I still haven't even bought a dash cam.

8. pascom

pascom Registered

9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

This actually looks like a very fun track. Reminds me abit of Atlanta Motorsports Park but with more speed. :)

mantasisg likes this.
  10. Tobias Pitzer

Tobias Pitzer Registered

The racetrack looks very good and seems to be a lot of fun. Of course, it would be great if all versions were available over time.

mantasisg likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I just watched this because I needed to make sure the direction of the classic track. I still don't plan to make it. But I though it would be interesting just to get basic layout for curiosity.

Check out what kind of beasts they had there, and the peoples interest was massive, because back then there would be few cars on actual roads, let alone racing cars lol Check out how many people are traveling to the race by foot.

Also a driver was nearly killed at the end while celebrating lol

Legend, The Iron Wolf, pkelly and 5 others like this.
  12. dylbie

dylbie Registered

That's a great film!

I always imagine the Health and Safety conversations in the 1960s were like this:-

Race Official: "This track is terribly dangerous. Let's put some concrete posts at the edge of the track on the corners to make it safer."

Drivers: "Are you sure concrete posts are a good idea?"

Race Official: "Good point. Throw a couple of tyres over them."

I bet they never had issues with track limits back then!

EDIT: Great work with the track by the way. Looks like a bit of a roller coaster :)

mantasisg, pascom and pkelly like this.
  13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I was wondering why on earth did they use them, and I suppose you have solved it, it definitely must have been the way to battle corner cuts lol

14. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro Registered

this track is always on my top of my head to be build, at some point i would like to build some tracks used back on ex-URRS, like this one, pirita at letonia, another track that is avaliable for GPL (Borayava?) and Neva Ring.

Jaromir Bergmann and Corti like this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have started doing a layout for classic track, but I am not sure if I would like to make it classic completely, or just make it how it is now, there are little differences about the area itself, no concrete ant-cut posts for example :D

Maybe we could team up in the future on this. Maybe you would like to make it more like it was in the 1960, though I don't think it was massively different (ditches, conrete posts by the road, slightly different vegetation, road signs, raceday stuff....)

Legend, dylbie, pascom and 4 others like this.
  16. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro Registered

yes!! for me a 60's version please :) oh boy!! that ditches :eek:

Hazi, Corti, dylbie and 2 others like this.
  17. pascom

pascom Registered

Hello @mantasisg & @Sergio Loro,
    Is that still on? :)

Mauro likes this.
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am on hold now with most of my mods, my projects will probably last a decade. But eventually at some time it might accelerate fast, I just don't have plans now. My priority is Goodwood.

Mauro and pascom like this.
  19. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro Registered

Te idea of make a baltic pack still Alive, Lituania, Estonia AND Letonia .

mantasisg and pascom like this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is Latvia, not Letonia :D

It is interesting idea. I did have started on the old Nemunring, but I have become such a mess, I got more projects on me and got less time available to mod at the same. So yeah it is still just an idea for me too.

pascom likes this.