CS-closed Road to Le Mans / 24 hours of Le Mans

Discussion in 'Official Competitions & Contests' started by Deleted member 24698, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oh dont get me wrong, i understand the lack of live timing was not good and thats also why we gave it to you but too late i understand.
    I think our overlay was showing everything that needed to be showned, we have a tool for that and camera´s as well, so even though you might not think the broadcast was good for family and friends, i think it worked out fine.
    Spotter guide, sure but then im sorry to explain this but the actual mod took a whole day work to correct. This does mean that the way people are painting these cars are not succesful, so yeah we can all learn from all aspects, but we cant just agree on every single bit of feedback. Im sure you understand that.

rocafella1978 likes this.
  2. D Nichols

D Nichols Registered

Firstly @Jimmi Allison and the rest of the team thank you for putting this on. It remains a shame how it ended and the server issues that affected teams throughout the race. However knowing your work in VEC, I'm sure this was down to issues beyond your control.

Our own race went from great to bad after someone rejoining caused the server to lag when I was in the fast right before Indy. From then on despite repairing, the car had the damage bug that left us 6kph down on top end speed. We then had the ghost car issue during a driver swap (I've not had any driver swap issues since my early days on rFactor). It left both Andrew and I in charge of the car, yet both hidden to other drivers.

Once the root cause has been found, will it be shared with the teams/drivers/pubic? It would be useful to understand the cause, and if there is anything clients connecting to the server can do to help. Secondly, when the event is re-ran (and I hope it will be), will all teams who qualified recive and automatic invite to the event?

Marius Nicolae, C3PO and Mike Froom like this.
  3. C3PO

C3PO Registered

What would be the cost of a remote dedicated server (non-virtual) with the sufficient CPU / RAM etc… for the duration of the race … so in total say 27 hours?

4. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 dedi doesn't require any resources basically. It says in this post that it requires a mere 400 MB of RAM per instance with server population of 20-30 cars. Up to 20(!) server instances can run on a 2.5 GHz dual core CPU.

C3PO likes this.
  5. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Statement just released from Studio 397:

“In line with our ‘open’ nature we wanted to keep everyone informed about what happened last weekend. Before we do, let’s start by saying thanks to all the teams and drivers involved and everyone in the rFactor 2 world for their continued support. We value everyone who shares our passion for simracing.

So, what is this all about and what happened?

Last weekend, July 6 and 7th, we started into what should have been an exciting 24 hour race on our newly released Le Mans Circuit. With top teams and drivers, amazing commentators and some incredible racing action ahead, we had been on the edge of our seats all day long to finally kick it off. Unfortunately, roughly 12 hours into the event, we had to face a decision that no one here at the Studio took lightly.

Unfortunately due to technical issues we had to red flag and cancel the rFactor 24 event. A significant group of drivers and teams were affected by technical issues beyond their control and ours and we felt it just wasn’t right to finish the event in this way. On one side we wanted the battles to be on track and not decided by technical issues, on the other side we didn’t want to leave our community with disappointment after crossing the finish line.

Next step and something that’s already underway, we have created a task force working on a solution for what stopped our event from being the great race it could have been. Their work will include everything, from gathering info, data and logs from the participants, to work out the source of these problems and then ultimately solving these issues. This is a priority for us, as endurance racing is a core aspect of the game, so we want to make sure that you can enjoy rFactor 2 without worrying about the software side.

We are 100% committed and passionate about rFactor 2. We are fully dedicated to bring an excellent experience to our users!”

Great response and hope it’s found soon.

6. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

In virtualracing.org other instances are switched off for a race. While its true that a dedi causes low load once it is running, it may cause high load at session end, track change / load and so on.

Btw: server replay available??

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. Felipe Granado

Felipe Granado Registered

Hello guys

I know the subject is 'high' at the moment and so I would like to leave my comment and concern as the league administrator who uses the simulator.

On Sunday after the Studio event, Virtual Endurance Brazil faced the same problem in the middle of the Palm Beach stage, valid for the third stage of the IMSA 2019 championship. After an hour and fifteen minutes of racing (in a total of two hours) all the drivers took a "conection lost", remaining only the narrator and the commentator who were in 'spectator' mode.

I want to highlight the great work of Studio since assuming the continuity of rFactor 2 and believe in the potential of the entire team of developers. However, I have to agree that the latest updates have made things a bit 'unstable', especially with regards to server join and rejoins that cause too many lags for multiple drivers (this 'cake cherry' option is being disabled for many leagues, because we do not know the real reason for this).

I look forward to the result of the check-up and corrections so that the community can enjoy the beautiful long-lasting races with balanced cars and stability in the servers.

I am available to provide any kind of information regarding the stage in question (Palm Beach) for the Studio team.

Race broadcast link (at the moment):

Best Regards,

Felipe Granado
    Virtual Endurance Brazil.

lagg and GeraArg like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I know it would look bad, but does the online racing events like the 24hr race make use of the yellow blob car when a driver joins the track? That was one of the solutions to minimize screen freezes by only loading the new skin once YOUR car was safely in the pits. Perhaps generic Yellow blob cars could be created for different series, such as a fairly plain oreca for WEC style events. Or a basic GT3 shape and color.

mister dog and Remco Majoor like this.
  9. Adam Karkuszewski

Adam Karkuszewski Registered

@Jimmi Allison
    You where saying/promise something when red flag droped to drivers that participated.
    Is this still valid? My drivers ask me.

10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

the ideal would be to repeat the 24 hours with the same teams, obviously when the problems are solved, which is the most important thing now, you have to be patient to analyze and repair the mistakes, but you have to be positive, everything will be fixed:);)

11. Yes, but you need to follow the instructions that was sent to you in PM (manager who signed up the car).

12. Yes, we wont plan the event until we´re ready, and this obviously means the teams that is qualified will be invited again.

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

cool:) +1

14. Comante

Comante Registered

I hope you will find the issue and fix it , as I hope people will rejoin the race to finish it properly.

15. Adam Karkuszewski

Adam Karkuszewski Registered

I have nothing regard those DLC's.
    Is it something on Discord ?

16. Like i said, a PM was sent to you and managers. Look at it. It does not state anything regarding that yet - but if you follow those instructions...

17. Moreno Sirica

Moreno Sirica Registered

So if i want to race there's no way? I mean no qualy races like the last time? I'm asking because i just buy the game cause i want to try in a real race and compare to iracing which is the one that i use most for the endurance

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

This isnt the race to get into if your new to rFactor. Not regarding just the driving but all its qwerks you should work out and understand.

Alessio Feletto likes this.
  19. Moreno Sirica

Moreno Sirica Registered

Sorry mate but i forgot to tell you that i'm a top split driver on iRacing, finish P5 at 12h of sebring, winner of the opening round of SCO GT Series, missed the qualy for the simracing expo by only 0.03 and you tell me that this isn't the race to have a good look on how rFactor works during an enduro race.
    Ok

McFlex likes this.
  20. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

you want to arrive and kiss the saint, haha, iracing only has better than rfactor the competition system, that sooner than later rfactor will also have it with the new interface,but if it comes like many others with comparisons, and that mentality, better you stay in iracing

Alessio Feletto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.