Rf2's Skybox

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mister dog, Mar 19, 2019.

1. mister dog

mister dog Registered

I've been playing around with time progression in Rf2. When you do rapid time progression (for example x5), you notice the layers of light getting darker in a progressive, almost stuttery way all of a sudden when the sun sets.

Also is it me but I don't notice a sun? The sky seems bright but I don't see it going down over the horizon.

Cheers!

Peter Stefani and vegaguy5555 like this.
  2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Same for me.

mister dog likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Are we getting spoiled by Sol? :)

4. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Yes we are :D

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Lighting improvements are on the way courtesy of s397, but I wanted to give some feedback anyway in the meantime.

Apart from the skybox progressing in obvious layers (sunsets are still phasy as F when you have time progression x enabled), I think the main issue with the graphics in Rf2 is the way light gets reflected from the track surface now. With the subtle improvements so far the color palette in Rf2 has become less 'blueish' during broad daylight which is very good already, but there is still a lack of light reflection on the track surface and the immediate surroundings around the car.

Looks like there's light coming from the sky let's say, but it doesn't hit/reflect/light up the asphalt properly and as a consequence the surface looks dark/muted.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

shadows at cars at night race also become so dark whick likes that someone split black color on the car
    really dark
    but i think they gonna fix all those things
    we wait for an enviroment light upgrade at tracks and night light reflection etc upgrade

vegaguy5555 and mister dog like this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah, when you use accelerated time that transition is slightly choppy, IDK how it is in ACC now, I remember it was so too. I suppose it is not as easy as just putting in more frames, I guess it is more complex to implement than that. I recently played DayZ in a server that has very accelerated night/day shift, I think there it transitioned quite smoothly.

vegaguy5555 and mister dog like this.
  8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I think the road reflections are the best out of any sim. Have you got them set on ultra?

9. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Yes, I should clarify that during daytime conditions the reflections are ok, but as soon as the sun is starting to get lower there is almost no light reflecting on the asphalt or surroundings anymore and your headlights don't really reflect on it neither making it hard to see the track, sorry for the confusion as I forgot to mention that in my previous post:

Rf2 in low light conditions:

[​IMG]

And then these examples strictly for the headlight reflections:

PC2:
    [​IMG]

ACC:
    [​IMG]

10. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i play everything max at Le mans laser scan and the car's shadows are bad quality replays
    maybe because i use low quality replay

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, replay fidelity just affects the frequency of the data recorded. So higher fidelity gives smoother steering wheel movement, for example.

The rate at which things are recorded, and replayed, doesn't affect the content itself that is loaded and drawn in realtime - only the current graphical settings affects that. And as I'm sure you're aware, you can race without shadows but still see them in replays if you turn up the settings in the meantime.

You could sort of compare it to stop-motion animation, in that you can still capture full/high definition images and make a movie out of it, it's just not as smooth. But of course a game can fill the gaps, as it's drawing everything in realtime (instead of playing back images).

mister dog and mesfigas like this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think, there is room for improvement when it comes to how headlights are rendered, especialy at night and I certainly would like to see more options like flashing or rain lights as in ACC, but you need to be careful when comparing the current implementation to other products. The first and most important thing for me is, how it looks in reality and in that regard your posted image of rF2 looks pretty spot on. Just a little comparison for how good/bad the headlights work at dawn in reality, while still keeping in mind that even headlights technology is an ever progressing area:

[​IMG]

Rony1984 likes this.
  13. mister dog

mister dog Registered

I think you're better off with a picture of the front of the car to prove a point about headlight strength @hitm4k3r :D:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Granted that Toyota's headlights strength is heavy af but I posted a pic from a farter as well during sunset conditions.

14. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I avoided using TV onboard screens because those over expose light, especialy during dawn and night time. Granted the P1 headlights are very powerfull similar to the pics that you have posted first, I wouldn't go as far as PCars 2 or ACC, wich was my initial point. In those pics it allmost looks like wet tarmac reflecting the light.

15. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Ingame (and in cockpit) the headlight reflection looks quite convincing though in ACC, and they also have these little purple/green/red LED's simulated onboard for the night mood in endurance races. Shame the game runs a bit crappy at the moment.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

But those screenshots have the car (and lights) facing the camera, so you should see some reflection off the track surface. All the other pictures above are from behind the lights, so won't be as bright. The rF2 shot mister dog showed above has zero reflection, and is also true of the trackside light there.

At the same time, rendering light reflections and shadows is very intensive so you can definitely pay a price for being prettier.

17. mister dog

mister dog Registered

Bump.

Is there any chance of updating the skybox soon? I think I read there were updates to the lighting model on the way in one of the roadmaps, so I was wondering if these would include the following:

- Improved cloud patterns.
    - A visible sun on the horizon during dawn/dusk.
    - It getting day/night smoother and more gradually with accelerated time progression enabled.

I know better shadows and lighting might be a drain on performance, but it would be nice to have the above mentioned implemented for Rf2.
    Asking as I went back to Le Mans yesterday for a nice day/night transition with TP x5, and the sky stuttered itself to nighttime again, which I find quite immersion breaking.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  18. Brent

Brent Registered

- I agree an improvement in cloud patterns and movement would improve immersion. I've totally gone away from racing in the rain/weather plugin because there was no predictability. I've been in races where it's raining and the sun is out and hardly any clouds in the sky. I stay on slicks anticipating the rain won't last long, and it pours even harder the rest of the race while the sun stays out. I'd like to look at the sky and see a storm front of rain is on the way or that it's clearing and going away. Rain on the windshield needs to move at speed too. I've raced for hour and hours in the rain IRL and the water never just sits there. With Rain-X on the window I can race in pouring rain at times without wipers on. Transitions from light, to partly cloudy, to mostly cloudy doesn't do much either, I don't notice much of a difference until you set it to full overcast and then it's too much.

- Check your video card and display settings, maybe they need to be turned up. I can see the sun go down in the horizon here and it looks realistic to me.

- Smoother transitions, I agree I see it when I turn up the time acceleration to the max. If I had the choice, I think it's pretty clear in my paragraph above, I prefer improved weather/cloud conditions.

mister dog and vegaguy5555 like this.
  19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I would be willing to pay for a Sol grade skybox!

20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I don't get what people find so special about the Sol sky. In alot of cases it looks completely unrealistic as if you are in outer space and the clouds are running in circles. I would just like to see more cloud types added to the current rF2 sky with specific clouds in different altitudes offering better variance in weather conditions. A thunder storm with altostratus clouds just doesn't make any sense. Add in some fog and humidity and it will be quite nice. In a perfect world we would get a weather system as in madness engine, but I don't see that happening.

dylbie, vegaguy5555 and Emery like this.