Mirror Adjustment Guide and Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ADSTA, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Edit 9/11/18
    A very belated :oops: credit to @Paulfield for some of the json tweaks I included.
    Thanks Paul.

rFactor 2
    Mirror Adjusting & Tips
    Mirrors are adjusted using combinations of your keyboard Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys and the (user assigned) in-game seat adjustment controls: Fore, Aft, Up and Down.
    To avoid confusion I have used the in-game names, Fore, Aft, Up and Down and not any user assigned controller/keyboard buttons or keys.
    When using Ctrl and/or Shift it doesn't matter if you use the left or right one.
    When using Alt, use Left Alt if you find Right Alt does not work. This is to do with your Windows region and keyboard settings. If you want Right Alt to work I'll leave that up to you and google search.

Not all adjustments work in VR.

* = the text that appears in the rF2 message box.

• ALL MIRRORS, REAL AND VIRTUAL
    * Mirror Position: 0 / 0
    Shift + Fore = move mirrors left
    Shift + Aft = move mirrors right
    Shift + Up = move mirrors down
    Shift + Down = move mirrors up

* Mirror Size: 0
    Ctrl+Shift + Up = zoom out
    Ctrl+Shift + Down = zoom in​

• LEFT DOOR MIRROR
    * Left Mirror Params: 0 / 0
    Ctrl + Fore = move mirror outwards
    Ctrl + Aft = move mirror inwards
    Ctrl + Up = zoom out
    Ctrl + Down = zoom in​

• RIGHT DOOR MIRROR
    * Right Mirror Params: 0 / 0
    Left Alt + Fore = move mirror inwards
    Left Alt + Aft = move mirror outwards
    Left Alt + Up = zoom out
    Left Alt + Down = zoom in​

• REAR VIEW MIRROR / MONITOR
    * Center Mirror Params: 0 / 0
    Ctrl + Left Alt + Fore = move mirror left
    Ctrl + Left Alt + Aft = move mirror right
    Ctrl + Left Alt + Up = zoom out
    Ctrl + Left Alt + Down = zoom in​

• REAR VIEW MIRROR / MONITOR PHYSICAL POSITION
    * Mirror Physical Pos: 0 / 0
    Shift + Left Alt + Fore = move mirror right
    Shift + Left Alt + Aft = move mirror left
    Shift + Left Alt + Up = move mirror up
    Shift + Left Alt + Down = move mirror down​

There is a few more options in the player.json.
    Disclaimer- I take no responsibility if you get software or hardware problems in regards to advice given here. Backup any files before making changes.

"Rearview Independent":false,
    "Rearview Independent#":"Whether width (horizontal FOV) can be controlled independently of height (vertical FOV)",

Unless you really want or have to change this I would leave it alone.​

"Moving Rearview":0,
    "Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOVonly, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

If you set it to 0, the image in the mirrors doesn't move when you move the seat but you lose the ability to move all mirrors together: shift+seat doesn't work.​

"User Vehicle Data":true,
    "User Vehicle Data#":"0=save with user mod data (in CCH files), 1=save separately (in all_vehicles.ini)",

The all_vehicles.ini is where every vehicle installed has their FOV, seat, mirrors, FFB multiplier and installed upgrades data stored. All the things you don't want to setup every time you load that car.
    The mod data CCH file has data more related to career stats.
    So make sure User Vehicle Data is set to “true”. Yes I know it says to use “1”, you can put 1, it just gets changed to true.​

"Rearview Cull":false,
    "Rearview Cull#":"Whether to cull objects in the rearview based on visgroups in the SCN file",

"Rearview_Back_Clip":0.0,
    "Rearview_Back_Clip#":"Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)",

If what you see in the mirrors seems to be sparse and objects suddenly appear and disappear then the two settings above should help you.
    First off, we don't want to be culling objects so make sure you have “false” for the rear view cull.
    The back clip is the distance in metres that can be seen in the mirrors. I have mine set to :1000,
    So that is 1 kilometre, which looks so much better than the default and isn't a big fps hit, at least with me.

Edit 10/9/18:
    If mirrors are blurry or you can't get the proper view from them, check and edit so "Moving Rearview": 0,

Edit 18/10/18:
    Seat Pitch controls.
    Not so much a mirror adjustment but a seat / point of view adjustment.
    Pitch control.jpg
    Some of the default controller profiles have keys assigned to FOV / Pitch, some don't, so check your profile.
    Very straight forward, once keyboard keys are assigned to Inc & Dec FOV (Pitch) you hold down Shift and whatever key you assigned.
    If my memory serves me correct FOV only works on single monitors not triples but Pitch works for both. VR: don't know but seeing as they're a fairly vocal minority I'm sure we'll be told in great detail. :p

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Reserved

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Great info, this should be sticky'd or something for easy access.

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

This man is an encyclopaedia of rF2 knowledge ;)
    Cheers Mate .

Reiche, Alex72, ADSTA and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Many thx for this - great guide !

I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

First - if I setup mirrors correctly for a car it seems it is only for the specific livery. I have to do it for all liveries... This doesnt make any sense whatsoever. Can this be changed?

Second - in some cars (like ASR F1 1991 cars) mirrors cannot be adjusted. Any way around this?

ADSTA likes this.
  6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Thanks for all the positive comments.
    @2ndLastJedi it's a page or 2, not a bloody encyclopaedia! ;)

Yes @Mibrandt in the all_vehicles.ini it is saved per livery.
    All I can suggest if you want the same settings for each livery of a certain car is to copy the settings from the all_vehicles.ini of the car eg:
    FOV=_ _
    Seat=(_ _ _ _ .)
    SeatPitch=_ _
    RearviewSize=(-_ _,-_ _ )
    Mirror=(_ _ ,_ _)
    MirrorPhysical=(_ _ ,_ _ ,_ _ )
    MirrorLeft=(_ _ ,_ _ ,_ _ )
    MirrorCenter=(_ _ ,_ _ ,_ _ )
    MirrorRight=(_ _ ,_ _,_ _ )
    then paste that into all the other liveries listed.
    Maybe someone with some good Windows skills/keyboard shortcuts etc may have a easy way.

As for the ASR car, if the devs of a mod haven't implemented left and right mirror adjustment and you have "Moving Rearview": set to 0 or 1, you probably won't have any adjustment.
    Put "Moving Rearview":3, and you should have the basic adjustments.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    atomed, Alex72 and Mibrandt like this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Well then that's the size of the rF2 encyclopedia :p

ADSTA likes this.
  8. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

A related note on mirrors. When running an endurance race with the new endurance cars, I break the race up over several days. I rejoin each day using the replay feature. I've noticed that when I rejoin at the end of the replay that the mirrors are in the default position. But pressing CTRL SEATADJUST makes them snap to the correct position.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Thanks @Booth_doberman
    I've never done the replay start so I'll check that out and add it to the OP.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

Was there a way to show your vehicle in the rearview and side mirrors?

*edit*

Nevermind, I found it. "self in Mirror". This does not work as i expected it to. I expected to see the view as if It were being show in real life... When I look to the right hand outside mirror I should see the exterior of my car, not the whole right side of the car including driver and front windshield. All this command does when activated is show the players car in the rearview mirrors as if the viewer was standing on the hood. This is not at all what I was looking for.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Wohoo! Exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks, man! :cool:

ADSTA likes this.
  12. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Just a question. Is the zoom in/out (Mirror size) car dependent? In the McLaren 650s i can't zoom out.

Edit: Nevermind. I got it working.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  13. FlashQld

FlashQld Registered

Hi Adsta - you mentioned if the dev of a mod hasn't implemented left and right movement - this is the bit we have no understanding of. Been doing this for 12 years now. If setting up the mirror we follow all the modding techniques they don't move independently. Not sure how these could be set up differently following the ISI way. Unless something has changed with S397 which has remained elusive.

Binny likes this.
  14. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

I have an Enlgish keyboard, but what is a Fore or Aft key? cursor up and down? it does not work :/

Shift + Fore = move mirrors left
    Shift + Aft = move mirrors right

I'm trying to adjust the mirrors of the Oreca, but it's not working at all. nothing is moving. I pressed F1 for the cockpit view? this game is really intricate do adjust

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  15. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Think you'll find that whatever you have set to move your seat forward or backwards. So, on mine I use the right arrow key to move the seat forward, back arrow is backwards. So, I would press Shift + right arrow to make the mirror go right. However, some mods require the use of ALT or CTRL instead of Shift to move individual mirrors!

ADSTA likes this.
  16. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

Thank you for the quick reply. I found an different solution.

"Moving Rearview":0,
    "Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOVonly, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

I set this value to 3 and suddenly all the mirrors are getting adjusted automatically :)

I was trying to adjust the mirror for the LMP 2 to Oreca. This is another thing.I'm not even sure if this is an official car or if this is was a mod. There is no description for the car in the interface.

shovas and ADSTA like this.
  17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@Florian Dubiel
    I'm glad my guide was useful for you.
    I have taken note of your confusion about "what is a Fore or Aft key?" and I have made an edit regarding this at the start of the guide.

Emery and Florian Dubiel like this.
  18. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

The graphics details of the track are disappearing in the mirrors at a certain distance, creating like a white wall, you can still see the road but that is about it. what do we have to do to see the track details in the mirrors for as far as we can see?

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

ADSTA and Cote Dazur like this.
  20. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I see it now, I alreay had the cull on false, but I did not see:

" The back clip is the distance in metres that can be seen in the mirrors. I have mine set to :1000,
    So that is 1 kilometre, which looks so much better than the default and isn't a big fps hit, at least with me.
    "
    1 km should do the trick.:)