How are these composite images created? Are they UVW exports?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mike Cantwell, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand how these types of images are created that we see in the game.

The attachment below is from Toban, and is the garage building detail. It is made up of 20-30 individual images, and I am assuming that is is created after each part is mapped in Max.

I would love to know how to do this and have been searching but no answers yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Bld_Garage_Details.jpg

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's a texture atlas, just place as much on one texture as possible to improve performance. The empty spaces are filled with solidify(http://www.flamingpear.com/freebies.html).

3. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Thanks for that, but this does not help with doing in this in 3D Max. All these images in the game seem to be done by exporting the textures off the 3D object and then saving as a DDS file, with all the mapping intact.

For example, if you have a building and there are 50 individual images used when mapping the object, there must be a way to export this as one image, like how they do the Ambient Occlusion files. You can not make these multi image first and use that when mapping....it would be a pain.

4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

No pain, no gain ;)
    Check out tutorials for Unwrap UVW, there are quite a few out there.

5. AlenC

AlenC Registered

The image looks like it was made directly in photoshop. I normally start with few large surfaces in photoshop and then add detail as I model and map. But if you need it, there is an option in 3ds max: render to texture. Shortcut is 0. It's buggy and I think it works with standard shaders only.
    I don't need it too often, but it helped me occasionally. And don't forget to make atlas UVW on another channel!

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe i do it wrong the whole time, but i know only 2 ways to do it.
    I use the Unwrap UVW modifier.
    One is, to put all the textures that are used for an object, together on a single texture, like the one from toban and then i UV map the mesh to that texture.
    The other is, to first map the object and then, from the UV Editor, from the menu Tools -> Render UV Template, export the wireframes as a png file and paint the texture then.
    I have never seen a kind of automatism that is doing that work.
    Unfortunately. :)