SOLVED The game don't start

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by GeraArg, Jun 9, 2019.

1. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

There is the thing, the launcher works but the game don't start, single player or multiplayer..
    And now the background, I made a 'reset' of my windows installation (BSOD :rolleyes:), I have installed the games in other partition, so I install steam again, point the steam folder to the partition I have the games and detect all products,s right click in every game, verify integrity, almost all games works but rFactor refuses to work. :p

I suspect that it is a dependency issue with the Microsoft C++ libraries because when I verify the integrity of the cache steam the last thing to do is install (or try) some dependencies named "steamworks common redistributables". Also, I find son .jar I need install the Java runtime also? (8/9/10/11???)

Can you help me with this? A clean installation is over 100GB with workshop content, I can't do that..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Update.
    I installed all the runtimes available inside ~\rFactor 2\Support\Runtimes\*

The launcher still works fine but the game don't, I have this error:
    [​IMG]

The error code is 0xc000007b, so that error according to the Microsoft documentation is because the installation of C++ redistributable libraries is corrupt.
    What is the exact version of that library that I have to install?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. Corti

Corti Registered

You must delete badly transferred files from defective skins.
    Go to this path Steam steamapps common Factor 2 UserData player Settings look for mods folders
    my advice is to delete all the folders that are not tracks, just folders with the names of the cars, or the cuts and move them and then try to start.

4. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Done.
    The game still don't start. :/

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

6. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

I just reinstall the game, delete all conf files, and so on and the game still don't work :/

7. stonec

stonec Registered

This looks like a general problem with the OS and not specific to rF2. I suggest you look at Google search since people most likely have fixed it there and I bet it has little to do with your rF2 installation.

guille36 likes this.
  8. lagg

lagg Registered

Try to install DirectX.
    The setup is in ...\rFactor2\Support\DirectX

9. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

I have a suspicion that this no start problem is similiar to the one I had.
    2 years after rF2 became only driveable through Steam I made my install/transfer.
    (had got the transfer steam code from my non-Steam rF2).
    I waited the mandatory 1H for the goofy Steam download/install.
    I tried to abort it to unsub all the "garbage" I wasnt interrested in - but to no awail.
    Everything was downloaded/installed.:rolleyes:

OK. And when I had got through the wheel calib thing everything was playing.
    I was a bit dissapointed about the graphic quality even on more less high/highest settings.
    But accepted it - mainly because I consider rF2s TM/physics the best available today.:cool:

But now I come to my suspicion.
    Im running an extremely stable Win7-64 install on an older(Xeon5670/gForce1060-6Gb) - and to the contrary of my other racing games (ACC, Raceroom, pCars2 and (ealier) iceRacing) rF2 twice suddenly crashed and "smartly" deleting everything inside the 3 urgent JSON files(controller, player, multiplayer).
    This mandatory delete of file content is probably a decision the devs have done.:D
    But the result was that after manually deleting the 3 files and accepting the orig default file content I had to repeat the wheel and (mainly graphic settings) adjustments.
    But I accepted this nuisance - because the positives about rF2s physics.
    OK.
    After a few days this happened again.:mad:
    I could feel that my temper raised a bit - but as a good user I did bite the bullet and repeated the now mandatory reconstruction.
    OK after about 1 week more without faults the same thing happened again.
    But this time deleting the 3 files + deleting the exes and asking Steam to check and download didnt help.

OK then I uninstalled rF2 completely via Steam - and reinstalled (1H mandatory dwnl).
    But the game refused to start - and no error message.
    Now I uninstalled again again + manually deleted everything inside Registry holding "rfactor".
    But this time my entusiasm in rF2 was not so high as before.:(
    After the last full install the game still refused to start!!

So now rF2 dont occupy the 10-15Gb on my HD - anymore.

Hehe as can be understood I have absolutely no good memory about the Steam version of rF2 - but wanted me back to my uber stable non-Steam rF2 install.:D

ByTheWay: As Stonec suggests I dont think such problems has strictly to do with the rF2 code (hehe beside the mandatory content delete) but my suspicion goes to the way the Steam download/install/uninstall is executed.:rolleyes:

10. lagg

lagg Registered

i've remembered, reading the previous post, a couple of things, more.
    1. Close rF2
    2. Delete the content of the folders:
      ...\rFactor2\userdata/player/log/Shaders\
      ...\rFactor2\userdata/player/log/cbash\​
    3. Start rF2

1. Close rF2
    2. Move your ...\rFactor2\userdata folder to another place
    3. Start rF2

guille36 likes this.
  11. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

I already tried it and it doesn't work.

Is there a list of the requirements (libraries with exact version, etc) from Microsoft that rFactor 2 needs so I uninstall everything I have in the OS and then download and install from the Microsoft website?

12. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

I made a clean installation and still don't work. :/

How can I validate that steamworks common redistributables is installing the necessary requirements and that it works correctly?

13. lagg

lagg Registered

Did you have installed rF2, previously in the same folder? I ask this because, when you uninstall rF2, your files are not deleted (userdata folder).
    I this case, when you re-install rF2, the result is not a clean install.
    The best way is uninstall rF2, delete the rF2 folder and install rF2 again.

I don't know, sorry.
    I've seen that this problem is common in Windows updated from previous versions (i.e. W8 to W10). I suppose that is a problem of libraries version.

14. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Clean install, I delete everything.

15. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Principally it should be possible to
    1. Search which version(s) of the redistributables rF2 uses/needs
    2. Install exactly these from MSs site to the folders Steam/rF2 uses for redist.

At least principally(!) this should be possible.

16. lagg

lagg Registered

Theoretically the runtimes should be the included in ...\rFactor 2\Support\Runtimes\

17. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Yeah but my (complete unqualified) guess is that there could also be something missing in as example
    \Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\

My own conclusion after finally uninstalling rF2 is that something urgent beside(!) the core rF2 is maybe missing - be it in Windows(doubt it) or in Steam.
    Or in one of rF2s mods???

18. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

I have still the problem.

So, whats new, if I run rFacto2.exe (32bits) the gui manager start but not the game, and if I run the rfactor2.exe (64bits) the game have the 0xc000007b error (some dependency broken or similar).
    I have installed all the runtimes vcedist* and directX?.

How is not working or who I can force to start the game in 64bits mode?

19. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Good news, the game start BUT in 32bits so that sucks.
    I edit the Launcher.config and change this option to force to start in 32bits mod (what an old conf file, isn't a json :p):

Auto Close:False
    Single CLI:
    Multi CLI:
    Dev CLI:
    Dedicated CLI:
    Dedicated UI:
    Disable 64 bit:True
    Disable Workshop Auto-Subscribe:False

So now, how I can run the game in 64bits?

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Googling that error message suggests the game is trying to load a DLL in the wrong mode (32bit or 64bit). You've already cleaned out the rF2 folder so it shouldn't be any old files (like d3d9.dll sitting there from an old trackmap install, etc), so it sounds like it's something in your windows that isn't quite right. Your reset of windows maybe didn't quite work right, didn't complete properly, or didn't clean out all files needed (seems unlikely, but you never know).

You can use a tool like Dependency Walker to list all the dlls etc that an .exe requires, but it would be a long process. Unless you have something specific in your windows install that makes a clean windows reinstall very difficult I would try reinstalling/updating/repairing whatever you can as far as runtimes etc go (directx, .net, the vc++ runtimes, anything else you can find) and if that doesn't work start planning for a clean install (of Windows). If you were getting BSODs before your windows will probably never be quite right until you start fresh again.

Have you checked your rF2 folder (and subfolders) for .dll files, just to see if there might be something old in there? I know you did a clean install, but...