Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

Devin has and he says its surprisingly good

3. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

I am getting similar since the windows/steamvr/rift update, no issues on track apart from the odd stutter, but in the pits the image in my HMD flickers everytime somebody joins the game. When loading I don't get the loading screen with the track map anymore, just a box saying "waiting for application to respond". On the monitor mirror the screen is black with just the loading bar across the top.
    (if I load the game without VR I get the loading screen as normal)

JFRacing likes this.
  4. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

OK, an update. I found that I still had W10 updates available and rolled back my video driver to one that is reportedly stable. Seemed to be fine. I have now loaded the latest Nvidia driver and so far, has not dropped out.

5. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

This sounds very familiar to this! Sadly the video is a bit long winded but this guy managed to boost his performance in DCS just by clicking a button! :D

JFRacing likes this.
  6. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

Same here since SteamVR update; No loading screen.

7. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

Mystery Resolved by SweViver

Exactly!! Here's a new video that focusses on that and explains how to reproduce:

I tested this tweak with Rfactor 2 yesterday and it works but only temporarily. The GPU utilization drops back after a couple laps. :-( Clicking the default button again restores the boost for a little while but this is not practical while racing. It's disappointing because this is a game changer for rFactor 2 (90fps instead of 65 with SS at 70% on Pimax 5K+). Also, note that it doesn't work if your car is not moving while clicking on Default; You have to be driving as you click the default button otherwise nothing happens to the fps.

RTX2080, Precision X that is available on Steam, fpsVR.

Please let me know if you find a way to make the tweak stick for an entire race.

Note that it was reported that the tweak also works with other HMDs. It's not for Pimax only.

Leynad, memoNo1 and Adrianstealth like this.
  8. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

my issue with the loading screen has been sorted with the SteamVR Hotfix

9. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

hey guys,
    Happy to move this if it is in the wrong area.
    I have a Lenovo Explorer, was running GTX 1060, 32GB Ram, i5-6600.
    VR was working great, then I started to experience video stutter.
    I tried a bunch of things and then just decided to upgrade to an RTX 2070 Gigabyte Windforce.

After upgrading the VR screen just stayed black. The tracking was working but nothing on headset.
    I managed to get a couple of flickers when I was in Steam VR, but very hard to replicate and get working.

I have not gone into RF2 yet.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) too many times.
    Tried different USB ports, but I only have the 1 HDMI port. The rest are DP.
    I ran DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) but no luck after that.

I have logged a ticket with Windows MR, however whilst I wait for them, I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Adrianstealth likes this.
  10. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Hey Guys,
    Re my previous message. I went back to my GTX 960 and the Lenovo Explorer started working.

I have a couple of questions. I would appreciate your input.
    1. do I reinstall the RTX 2070 & move to the oculus rift s or stay with the GTX960?
    2. I am running an i5 6600, it was maxing out so I have had to turn off background apps like OneDrive, Dropbox, Skype and especially Chrome. Should I update my CPU and if so, to what?

Thanks
    JB

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

God this is so tantalizing and frustrating! Why the heck does rF2 have to be such an odd ball?

12. Depco

Depco Registered

Years of bad coding, which S397 found out the hard way.

13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Unfortunately my english is not very good. So all I need is MSI Afterburner to press the default button? How do I activate MSI Afterburner in VR mode and how can I turn it off?

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Guys, this issue has nothing to do with rF2. People repro it on many games, it is something with either nvidia or steam VR.

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Could you use something like https://www.autohotkey.com/ to switch focus to Afterburner, poke the Default button and switch focus back? Then do that every lap with a timer, or bind a button to do it on demand. (Or if you want to get really fancy, use @The Iron Wolf's shared memory tool to find when you cross the S/F line and do it then :))

Oldgamergazza likes this.
  16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

People did that on Pimax's forum :D But come on guys, we need to pile up reports on Nvidia/steam VR so that they fix their bugs. I personally was not able to repro above on my PC BTW.

@Seven Smiles you're on CV1, right? Can you repro this perf boost?

JFRacing likes this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I tried but using Oculus debug tool (fpsVR doesn't work on Oculus) to see if there was any effect - nothing that I could see. That could well be operator error though!

18. Lole

Lole Registered

Hi @JFRacing , I have a similar issue, sometimes I get 90fps with something like 10 or 9ms GPU frametime on FPSvr, and during the race it drop to 45fps (smart smoothing) but the GPU frametime is still below 11ms and GPU usage under 50% . It looks like the GPU is throttling. Same config as you, PImax 5K+ and RTX 2080.

19. txinas

txinas Registered

Hi has anybody problems with opencomposite. When i use steam vr everithing is correct but when i change to open composite rfactor start but in 20 seconds return to the launcher.

Few days ago a change the pc and i do the same proces to put it again but is imposible.

Thanks.

20. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Driven yesterday with OpenVR DLL for rF2 and no issue. There is two version of the DLL, check with the other one.

JimmyT likes this.