Chris Haye Just Suggested to Look For New Genre Name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, May 29, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

So.... thats what happened.

According to video this is what we should do. Giveaway the image, the prestige and name of "simracing". Don't be conflictive !!1 Or in other words don't you dare argue online, because omg it is so terrible, negative, toxic. Because arguing and discussing is obviously not a normal thing, right. So to avoid all this just give away your image, your prestige. You are not fun anyway, others will make better use of your image. No one wants to be called arcade, simcade... now if you want to somehow keep your genre identity fresh and pure, don't want to merge, you can leave it and look for other shelter, other image, other name.

We also get this fun game so we can even choose our new name for our new little genre, new image, new history. Thanks Chris.

Here are some interesting names, lots of fun picking a new name, because obviously such a great idea.

1. "Usedtobesimracingbutnoweverythingiscalledsimracingsonowwehavenonameleftandhavetocreateitartificiallybecauseleftistpoliticallycorrectpeopledidn'tcareandlosttheimagecompletelying"

2. "simrefugeeing"

3. "thankschrisforsolvingthingspoliticallycorrectlying"

4. "betamaleforcefeedbacking"

5. "simgotcanceledracing"

6. "simsurvivoring"

7. "simulationimageandprestigegiveawaying"

8. "simulationzombieing"

9. "simpartisaning"

10. "theycalluselitistandgatekeepersbecausewevaluesimulationsomuching"
    Now seriously... I wish that video was satire. But it clearly wasn't. Once you get called elitist or gatekeeper for being conservative about valuing simulation genre and what it has, then it is not right. It is left. This political correctness that suggest not to argue, not to discuss and just let in others come, who are obviously just using the image, and knows that it is exciting and that it sells. People who push for more realism, and are critical about details are essential. Suggesting to hide and look for new identity has to be a joke, but it is different to tell from his special kind of hypnotizing presentation style with lack of emotion.

There was a thread about favorite simracing youtubers (well it was about rF2 youtubers, but there aren't any specifically rF2 youtubers really). When it comes down to actual simulation I don't think there are any good simracing youtuber to be honest, there are some that try to get closer to the core. But it is obvious that it is not what gives you views in there.

Alex72 and Sean_S36 like this.
  2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Have you got a day job?

UsedMomo, Filip and Sergio Loro like this.
  3. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Different name doesn't change the attitude of some people. Toxic people will stay toxic, no matter what the (sub)genre will be called. I btw. like the term "virtual motorsports".

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

What names would you suggest. Very fun game, real meme.

I have one more idea, simply simracing001, so once it would be occupied too, then genre could be renamed to simracing002 and so on :)

@LokiD My situation with job is awful, don't ask me to start giving you personal stuff about me. Obviously you just want to put me down, and that I find very disrespectful and low level.

You have called rF2 a simcade few days ago, so obviously you disagree with me, you could try doing that in some better way.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

What you call toxic ? Some people will consider me toxic. I consider those toxic who can not not combine arguing and being straight forward with being polite and respectful at the same time.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Mate I was joking OK, sorry to hear your job isn't going well. . Its just a term of humour.

Also I never ever called rf2 sim cade ever.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  7. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Being straight forward and being polite and respectful are sometimes hard to combine, some people are not able to do that. Most of these simracing vs. simcade vs. arcade arguments are imho just annoying. They don't lead anywhere and usually peoples arguments are "i am superior because my favorite racing game is more realistic than your favorite racing game"

And to be honest: This toxic attitude of some people in the community are the part of simracing, virtual motorsports, what ever you want to call it, that bothers me most. I want to have fun, want to enjoy my hobby. Me personally i like all the sims and some not so sim games: rF2, Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom, AMS, even Project CARS 2. And i also like Forza Horizon 4. Why? Because they're all fun in different ways I don't need people who try to tell me that their favorite game is better than my favorite game because *insert random argument*. Everybody has their favorite game for so many different reasons ... why argument at all?

Changing the name of the genre won't change anything.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Arguing is needed just to preserve integrity and own the image of simracing at where it belongs, there where simulation is highest priority when it comes down to certain software design decisions. Also to keep this subject important, because if no one would argue about it, then it would mean that the problem of replicating reality is not important anymore. It should always be important.

I have said long ago, that biggest issue is that there is no definition or standard set, so it allows to anybody to be at it even when there is very little of the simulation. It is very complex.

If anyone spoils fun for you when they state that software "x" is better at simulation than software "y" which you use, then you either have no opinion of your own, or you just care about the image too much. I could understand that you would get annoyed if someone said that it is not a sim, when you are sure it is a sim. But if it spoils the fun for you ? It means you don't know well enough, and rely on others opinions way too much, not that I say anyone should completely ignore each other, definitely not.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Also I think that Chris Haye is wrong that simulation can not be fun game. I think arcade gameplay could easily be combined with simracing physics and features. It just has never happened, and probably never will. More likely there will be a simulation with arcade physics, which is what this video basically presented, it is basically an oxymoron. It makes you want to think that simracing, can be without simulation, it is completly wrong IMO. But it is happening right now...

10. Sean_S36

Sean_S36 Registered

lmao Best post today thank you for the entertainment :) Maybe we can Identify as a Sim Car , that is legit now. Gender 47, lol.

mantasisg likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, simcaring would work. But other games also simulate cars. But one will argue that it is simcaring as soon as there is a car in it, it does wroom wroom and it is not on rails (because the car is train or F1 then).

It is hard thing to solve.

12. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Simidiots

13. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats not the nicest way to call ourselves.

Sean_S36 likes this.
  14. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Sim-pathetic people?
    Sounds quite positive...and pathetic at the same time lol

Sean_S36 likes this.
  15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Then a lawsuit when you get to simracing604

Sean_S36, Korva7 and Filip like this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

That guy must be from the future ! Hopefully it is better.

Sean_S36 likes this.
  17. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Mike Simracing604 and @AMillward if you in love with simracing. Thiim and Austin Ogonoski if you have fun. If you still believe in realism, month of Thiim in vein

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If we don't defend the gates, then any slick cowboy can come in with a 4 wheel shiney toy and claim to be the top sim. GPL was not a real commercial success, but it was huge in moving the entire genre forward. Such an odd stance as lowering standards or changing the name of a category makes one wonder if the video blogger was getting a kickback from a company or companies that found it difficult to surmount the Peaks of true simming.(says the man who only once or twice successfully landed the F-16 Falcon block 50 in Falcon 3.0)(but did deadstick in an EF-2000 Eurofighter after one glorious mission)

mantasisg likes this.
  19. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I had a look at the video in question.
    In my view it's a bit of a non discussion. The vlogger himself says its not that serious.

Most of us know what we mean when we say "Arcade, Simcade or Simulation". There will always be debate between racers as to which is better (based on personal priorities and perspectives) and therefore where exactly on the continuum between Arcade...…...Simcade……..Simulation, their sim of choice exists.
    Developers will never blatantly say "we have produced an arcade game". Instead they will find a Pro driver from somewhere to endorse it as "Simulation". Remember "The Stig" himself Ben Collins* took the cheque to endorse PCars and be the engineers voice.

We don't need to be gate keepers as we users/customers/racers ourselves will decide our priorities;
    Physics fidelity, FFB, Sounds, Graphics, Car selection, Track selection, Track accuracy, Multiplayer, Single player.
    No one sim title aces them all!
    From there our game choice(oops Sim choice I mean!) will become clearer.
    The leagues in which we compete will also make such calls and those calls decide what is hardcore simracing.
    The waters get muddy each time a new sim/game is launched but eventually they clear again.

Meanwhile I think we know what we mean when we say "Simulation" (Noun)
    "Sim Racing" (Verb) is broader in my view. Who wants to be a "Sim-cader", or introduced at a party as an "Arcade Racer"
    We can be both at the same time. I have had weeks where I was doing 100s of laps finessing a setup for a league race in RF2 but in my down time was chasing that elusive RedBull offer of a drive in the Codies title (neatly avoided classifying it there but I'd say "sim-cade").

Personal opinion; A simulation endeavours to accurately simulate the core activity of the physics of driving. Titles that compromise that to add non core game features or benefits move themselves away from that end of the continuum.

*Random information; I was watching a 1990 IMSA race from Mid Ohio yesterday (bad weather day here) and who should win the Camel Lights category? Perry MCarthy the original Stig!!

20. Boomer20

Boomer20 Registered

In the spirit of Ricky Bobby, the new genre name should be "I wanna go fast".
    If you were to change a name of a genre because of the conflicts and "toxic attitudes" well then every gaming genre would be changing names daily. When you emotionally invest in what your doing it will bring out the best and the worst in you at times.