Help installing rF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Nielsen, May 20, 2019.

1. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

You are allowed to smile here but eventhough I own the old non-Steam rF2 and allready have recieved my rF2 Steam Key o_O - then until now I havent installed(transfered to) the Steam version.
    But with some advices from Mistar Offermans I have now decided to make the jump.
    Inside Steam I have only 2 possibilities.
    Buy rF2
    Install the rF2 Demo.
    Do I have to install the Demo first?
    Or is there a way to install the rF2 - hehe without buying it again?:rolleyes:

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Maybe this helps.

3. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Thank you Eddy.
    That did the trick.:)
    It would probably have taken me a long time to figure out that you have to "Activate a product on Steam" before it installed.
    I thought it was the other way around.:D
    I accepted Steams auto install - but now I have to figure out how to get rid of all the (seen from my point) complete unnessesary mods(cars and tracks) that is now filling my HD up.
    I will try to follow Offermanns guide and hopefully get rid of 99% of the "garbage":rolleyes:

https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/in-full-control-managing-your-steam-install-manually

Eddy likes this.
  4. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Oh silly me.
    Searching a way to unsub all the content I dont want I just took a look inside Steams rF2 workshop.
    I shouldnt have done so.:mad:
    Because I ended up subscribe more extra content than I unsubscribed.:D
    Mostly a lot of tracks I know from iRacing, Raceroom and ACC.
    Hehe not very smart - if you want to keep the rF2 install small and compact.:rolleyes:

Lazza likes this.
  5. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

I have a question about what is happening when you un-subscribe something in rF2.
    Does the un-sub´ed cars and tracks get deleted from my HD?
    Or does the files still remain and engulf space on my HD?

This suspicion was mainly the reason I didnt transfer my non-Steam rF2 to Steam because I have allways (principally) been against such waste of HD space.
    Or rather if space has to be wasted on my own puter then I want to be in control of it:mad:
    Hehe and decide if I actually really want a program on my puter that need some organised waste of space:rolleyes:
    And this was also the reason I had some communication with Mistar Offermans conserning a manual install/managing of rF2 via the Steam client/SteamCMD - before I bit the bullet and "transfered".;)

https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/in-full-control-managing-your-steam-install-manually

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the standard content will stay on your HD. Extras that you unsubscribe from (which you probably haven't done yet) are removed. So the standard content is there in the steam folder and (optionally) copied into your install, while the extra stuff you download is only there while you're subscribed.

An option is to use mklink to physically move the files to another drive while having them still appear to be in the correct place. In practical terms it's easier to have a bigger drive and just leave things be. It's not how I'd like it but there are limitations.

7. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Thank you - that spread some light on this (hehe personal) problem.
    Because actually I have reasonable space on the partition Steam is installed on - but probably because Im an old guy back from the pre-W98 days it has allways irritated me that modern OS and programs waste so much space because... yeah probably because nobody cares :rolleyes:

Another thing Lazza as I recall you made the Motec plugin (Damp) for rF2 - right?
    Because I still have a backup of my non-Steam rF2 I presume that the few files and folders belonging to the Damp thing can be directly ported to my new Steam install by copy/paste.
    But is it easier to reinstall the Damp plugin from scratch?
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/damplugin-for-rf2.49363/

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's not hard either way, you probably know where the files go. The installer is steam- aware, but these days basically everyone has their core and data folders in the same place so manual install is also easy :)

9. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

OK I just wanted to be sure there was no special difficulty with the copy/paste method.
    Hehe eventhough Im absolutely not a Steam fan then Im beginning to recognise most of the rF2 folder organizing inside the Steam boundary.
    I have allready copied my own custom SRW controller file into Steam rF2 and everything is working OK.
    Ill also have a try with my old Build 1098 FR3.5 setups. :D
    No reason to start from scratch if they are still useable.

Conserning graphics Im very positively surprised.;)
    I can set most things reasonably maxed out eventhough I only have an archaic Xeon x5670 and a GTX 1060 gcard(both slightly oc).
    It looks like the graphic quality is much better than the ISI days.:p

Looking forward to be able to use MoteC again after some years with Racerooms non-MoteC status.:confused:

10. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

More help needed!!:mad:
    Could someone upload their Multiplayer.JSON?
    rF2 crashed (probably because a random HW thing) and both Multiplayer.JSON, player.JSON and Controller.JSON was suddenly "empty".
    "empty" in a strange way because the content of the files was only some "empty" space.
    Filled like a lot of SPACE tabbed from the keyboard.

Of course Steams verify of files couldnt (as usual) find anything wrong.:rolleyes:
    I was so lucky that I had made a backup of player.JSON and Controller.JSON but not of Multiplayer.JSON.:mad:
    After paste of the 2 backupped files rF2 refused starting before I (rather clever :D) grabbed a Multiplayer.JSON from my old non-Steam rF2.
    But I have a suspicion that as soon I want to go MP the game will crash because of the old MP.json.
    So if someone would upload their Multiplayer.JSON I would appreciate it.
    If there is some personal info inside just overwrite it with a (recognisable) remark.
    Thank you.:(

json-error.png

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  11. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Just delete any empty json files and start rF2, it will generate new ones for you.

12. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Thank you - you are completely right.
    After having them generated I checked the Steam Multiplayer.json and its exactly like the non-Steam version.
    Hehe so I didnt have to worry about the one from my old install:rolleyes: