My First MOD (Imported from AC)

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by darcidm, May 4, 2019.

1. darcidm

darcidm Registered

I'm importing files from an AC mod to rF2. I adjusted the shaders and textures.

In 3DSimED the objects are all aligned, but in the Showroom is as in the image, very low and with some objects misaligned.

upload_2019-8-1_10-6-57.png

I think the problem is Pivot Point. I tried to zero with importing and exporting the files in 3DSimed but it did not work.

How solve this with the 3DSimED?

What is the best way to convert from AC to rF2, using 3DSimED or 3ds Max?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Corti likes this.
  2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I don't know what the best way to convert from AC is, but to get a car on a proper height, it normally should be ok, when you move the whole car, that the lowest point of the body is at height level 0 and all meshes have the pivot point 0,0,0.

3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I made the best experience with placing the complete vehicle correctly (tires touching floor, lowest body part has the “normal“ ground clearence, pivot of parts in 0).
    You may still have to adjust the graphical offset in the HDV to compensate minor differences in the visual appearence.

4. darcidm

darcidm Registered

When I thought everything was all right, it screwed up again, but I'll push it a little more.
    Should I respect names and position (at the beginning or end) for certain objects, such as tires?

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

chisco85 likes this.
  6. darcidm

darcidm Registered

I started the .gen files from scratch and got almost all parts of the car aligned, except the 'BODY.gmt'. I had to change the position of the Pivot Point so that it is in line with the other parts.

If I put more pieces together with the BODY in Instance SLOT <ID>, those parts are also misaligned.

In the Showroom, only the parts that are in SLOT <ID> have reflection on the floor

I think there is some adjustment to be made in some file that is affecting this car part .

Any idea to solve this?

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Take as example the Skipbarber in the ModDev

8. darcidm

darcidm Registered

How do I turn the tire in the correct position. The pivot point is at '0' but is spinning off center.
    I'm using Skipbarber and replacing parts.

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

For the tire/rims,disc they need to be centred to the tire/wheel (all pivot the same for each separated wheel)

10. darcidm

darcidm Registered

I positioned the pivot point of all parts of each wheel through the pivot point of the tire but continued to rotate out of position.

Where should I move to get it right?

11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

You also apply wheel centre on the callipers too?
    With 3D SimED, you need to do it object by object alone (not imported with other objects). Open GMT Mesh if I remember well, not import as object.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry @MaD_King , i have to correct that a little bit. ;)
    You can also load all objects of all the wheel and spindle instances at the same time.
    Then mark all objects of 1 wheel/spindle (frame it with ctrl + left mouse button), choose 'Objects -> Set Tags', enter the pivot point and check the checkbox 'moveable' and click OK. Repeat that with the 3 other wheel objects.
    If you export it then, the meshes keep the new pivot points.

MaD_King likes this.
  13. darcidm

darcidm Registered

Thanks all!

I imported all parts of each wheel as an object, adjusted the pivot point and exported it.
    I adjusted the items shown below (I used values from another MOD).

FrontWheelTrackRange=(1.615,0,1)
    RearWheelTrackRange=(1.530,0,1)
    LeftWheelBase=3.636
    RightWheelBase=3.636

They are now rotating in the correct position, but the wheels are tilted at the front of 1.5 degrees and at the rear 0.5 degrees and shaking as they rotate.

Where do I adjust this?

How to know the exact position of the wheels to adjust the correct position?

14. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

you do not use figures from another mod for Front/RearWheelTrackRange and Left/RightWheelBase because they are based on the physicality of car you are taking them from, and will be wrong for your exact car dimensions.

If you have the correct pivot points like you have done already, these figures can easily be calculated from the pivot points and give you exact figures for your car.

For example, if your front left and right pivot points on the x-axis are -750cm and 750 cm, then your front wheel track is 1500cm. Same for the WheelBase on the y-axis.

Note that in the spinner it will use the pivot points and be correct regardless of what you put for the Front/RearWheelTrackRange and Left/RightWheelBase figure, but on track appearance will use them visually.

The camber of the wheels etc is set in the physics files that sit on top of the visual car and the shaking you describe, is it off centre pivot shaking as you look at the face of the wheel/rim or is it the camber making it shake?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

As first the question: the 3D model of the wheels / tires, are they modeled in an absolute upright position?
    I ask, because you say that they tilt when rotating.
    And to get the center of the tire, that can be taken as the pivot point for all of it's wheel and spindle meshes, can be taken in 3dsmax, when you center the pivot to the object (do you use 3dsmax?) or in the 3dsimed, if you import the tire as a mesh and select the wireframe view in the display tab.
    If you are lucky, the tire is modeled in a way that a vertex is at the central vertical axis and another vertex is at the center horizontal axis and both are on the x axis middle of the tire.
    When you select these 2 vertexes with a rightclick on the vertex and select edit point, you get the x y z coordinates shown, from that you can get the center of the tire.
    If you are unlucky, you have to find another part of the wheel mesh, from that you can take the center.
    It's a bit hard to explain. :)

16. darcidm

darcidm Registered

It's not respecting inclination. Every part of the wheel turns as if straight.
    Visually, it sways in and out.

17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Would you zip and upload your whole folder, that you use in the devmodes vehicle folder and send me a download link by private conversation?
    With that, i can help much better.

18. darcidm

darcidm Registered

upload_2019-8-1_10-7-43.png

Should I also incline the Pivot Point?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

If you have centered the pivot to the object, select 'world' in the view dropdown (green frame) and you can see the objects center coordinates in the x y z cells (red frame).
    BTW the tire don't looks upright on the picture. Or is it the view?
    Unbenannt-2.jpg

20. darcidm

darcidm Registered

It is with the slope of 1.5 degrees

I sent link with the MOD