Latest Roadmap Update -April 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 30, 2019.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually the best i7 of today is only about 25% better in passmark single core test (graph), and since the physics+AI runs on single core, that's what matters. Intel is basically still using a tweaked Skylake architecture originally released in 2015, so your 4th gen i7 isn't bad at all by today's standards. If you had bought the i7 4790K you would be even better off, only 13% behind the latest and greatest Intel CPU. The next gen Ryzen 3 series coming in summer will hopefully provide a bump in both core count and single core.

I think people are often upgrading their CPU for no good reason because they got used to the idea that a CPU released two years later is about twice as powerful as the old one. I think the main innovations have to be software-driven from here on because there is no "free lunch" anymore for software developers since Moore's law is dead.

felirrari, Emery, andrea_274 and 5 others like this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Just checked Discord for first time only because this roadmap encourages to do it, and what I have seen there made me feel like it is junky platform compared to the good old forum stuff. Looks like good place to get anything fast, but also looks like it is good place to forget and loose fast too. Fast food type of communication platform. I was surprised by the involvement there, looks quite a bit more popular than this forum. I wonder how people often ends up in elevating junky stuff over pure essential good. Will attempt it, but can say immediately that nothing will ever will better than forums that are slowly becoming a past thing.

Emery, lagg and Hocician like this.
  3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Discord is a chat platform.... u know what chat is right?

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am good with Discord, but not fine with Discord instead of Forum. Of course it seems that there is no threat for forums, and Marcel just said the same. But the fact that forums sometimes becomes ghost towns is not ok to me.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It seems that regularly, information that could be considered important for the rF2 fans of which I am a part, are only communicated on Discord by S397 (information of all kinds concerning rF2).

I regret that these informations are not given in priority on the official forum, rather than some users sometimes logging on Discord.

This is not new, many people have already complained.

Emery, EsxPaul, Mibrandt and 8 others like this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

CPU's and Video cards will continue to make some progress, but I agree we are nearing the peak of graphic and computing performance. The top NV card is over 2,000 dollars. Who in the masses can realistically afford that? Where real performance could still happen are the busses that flow the memory and cpu outputs. The real choke-point is the need to wait for each operation to reach it's destination.(ie the screen or the cpu calculations)

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

CPU_perf.jpg
    This graph shows CPU Single-Core Performance for the last 30 years. (source: engadget.com)
    Thats why my very old i7-3820 @4.3GHz is still very competitive in rF2.

I don't expect Single-Core Performance to advance much in the next years. So IMO the options for more performance in the future are, either optimize code or use more cores.

mesfigas and Ari Antero like this.
  8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

If you OC your i7 4790K to 4.6 GHz you get same CPU Single-Core Performance as i7 8700K (2.702) and if you OC it to 4.8 GHz you get same CPU Single-Core Performance as i7 9900k (2.898) ;)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Indeed. I will probably invest into a liquid cooler next.

mesfigas likes this.
  10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Indeed, if you buy Corsair H80i V2, price is about 100 Euro and it is much cheaper than new MBO, RAM CPU etc.

vittorio likes this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i think noone of the liquid cooler manufactures gives quaranty incase the cooler fails and suddenly convert your pc into an aquarium :)

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I liquid cool
    Allows good overclock with rock stable cool running performance

No chance of leak

vittorio likes this.
  13. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Registered

Interesting that you say that.

Unluckily for me, my Deepcool AIO decided to empty itself and destroyed my motherboard, M.2 drive, GPU and power supply :mad:

Luckily for me, Deepcool compensated me in full for all of the parts once I provided receipts :)

It was very inconvenient to have my pc out of action for weeks while the situation sorted itself out but it could have been so much worse.

mesfigas likes this.
  14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

water cooling is a cool idea for low temp
    but from what i read is a risk

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Don`t believe all BS you read from the net. Water cooling gives your PC better performance and longer life to your hardware.
    If you buy good quality product there is less chance to get water leakage than you get hit by lightning and die.

pkelly likes this.
  16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

we are on the internet allready mate.
    why believe you and at the same time the warranty from the water cooling manufacturers are limited ?

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Warranty from water cooling manufacturers are not limited as you can read from the post #113.
    I do not think there's more to say because you're probably doing another hilarious comment and we are also out of the topic.
    PS. Be careful that you don`t get hit by lightning when you go out next time.;)
    Welcome to my ignore list. :oops:

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

?????

EsxPaul likes this.
  19. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of discord, you can go there and talk about water cooling, instead of here...

dazzer, AMillward, lagg and 1 other person like this.
  20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats a good point in favor of discord.:D