Framerate stutters and landscape jitters solved!!!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Richard Hessels, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Found an article on racedepartment that made my rF2 another level exprience.
    I always had trouble getting rF2 run smooth.
    Even with v-sync on and a framerate of 60 - GPU at 40% CPU at 15% it would still not run smooth.
    Taking sharp corners I would get tearing of the landscape.
    Frames would be dropped all over the place.
    So only way to get decent frames was putting the settings so low that the GPU had not much to do.
    Now i came up to this article and installed Rivatuner statistics server.
    Only opened the app and put framerate on 60, nothing more.
    Enabled v-sync in rF2.
    Fired it up and it was smooth, as never seen before on my system with rF2!!!
    I could even put the graphic settings from low/med, to high/full and still have a much better and still fluid image.
    GPU was now running at 70-80% and not a single frame dropped or got teared, even in the sharpest corners.
    So this is the definite proof something is wrong with rF2 performance or with the rendering pipeline.
    Get a FPS slider/limiter as in iRacing could possibly solve this issue.
    My other sims rF1, AMS, AC & iR never had any issues with framerates, they run far above 100 fps so even with v-sync off they give a fluid image.
    I already noticed some time ago when i would have the (CTRL-F) framerate monitor on, the global FPS would also be much more steady than without. Only had to live with all this data in the top left corner.
    Now with Rivatuner Statisicsserver on, and locked at 60 FPS I can finally enjoy rF2 as it was meant to be.

So Devs you really need to get to the bottom why Rivatuner is making rF2 run so much better.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    LokiD likes this.
  2. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

@Christopher Elliott

I have sometimes stuttering issues (vsync video, 60 hz), and there is two way to fix it :

- Like he said : CTrl + F and let FPS statistics on the screen (very embarrasing)
    - Go back to Windows (W7) and the came back to rf2

Also, the option "close the launcher" can help.

Like I said before, there is a real stuttering issue, absolutely not everytime (randomly).

@Richard Hessels

There is a "max framerate" setting on the player.json.
    Use rf2 vsync only (video works).

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

4. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Will check if limiting the FPS in the player.json gives the same results.
    Did not get to that yet, this was just a test done after i was reading the article on RD.
    But that test went so well i raced the whole night, while going back to the graphic settings menu every 15 minutes and raise another setting to find out i still was having fluid gameplay.
    BTW. running on 43" plasma screen so have hardly any screenlag to make up for the lost v-sync frame. ;)

ADSTA likes this.
  5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Good to hear.
    If you're happy with how it's running, keep doing it.
    What works for some may not work for others.

6. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Did a test with capping the framerate in the player.json. Indeed i got the same satisfying result.
    Could get a very stable framerate without image tearing and much higher graphic settings than without a framerate cap.
    Adding a FPS cap slider to the graphic setting like AMS has implemented would make it a lot easier to work with.

Wanderer and ADSTA like this.
  7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

yep sync stutter at nola kills me.. for me out of pits, the palm trees are a slideshow,, then the slow hairpins with trees around them, almost like stuff on the side of the track makes the stutter even with around 100Fps!
    but....there is certain tracks that are worse than others, on Matsusaka with Vsync on its amazingly smooth. !

so its certain tracks and i think with the new gfx dx11 put on newer tracks. So how would i set up a fps limit on a 144hz monitor,, i can run ultra basically gfx settings.. with around 100 fps. I dont understand the stutter on high fps !?

Ive used fast sync primarily for rf2, but that has its stutters, i want the smoothness i should get with high fps on the newer tracks, very frustrating issue indeed!

this a a thread ive found on RD including the OP - about the same issue. lots of peeps having this it seems. Worrying as even more gfx elements are being added without fixing existing issues.
    https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/micro-stuttering-and-scenery-judder.146323/

So @Marcel Offermans why does riva fix rf2 stutter, even when were getting high FPS?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

9. tswracer56

tswracer56 Registered

Got the stuttering out of my installation by putting a stop to all background programs where Google Chrome was the biggest culprit - Did not realise that Google Chrome was running background by default. Once that setting was changed BINGO !! rF2 runs like a dream with FULL on and HIGH and MAX graphics settings on on i7 CPU, GTX 1080 GPU, 16Gb RAM win10 installation

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Google is always watching. Probably through more portals than just Chrome.

11. DEK

DEK Registered

But doesn't frame capping implement input lag, esp. V sync?

12. Carl Hackman

Carl Hackman Registered

I still get a lot of stuttering especially with the GT Packs and Sebring. It's not as noticeable with other cars and tracks. The purple indicator shoots across to the right when stutters happen, which I think is telling me that the CPU is being overloaded.

I have task manager and CPU-Z running to check the status and they don't show massive CPU usage when this happens.

I have:
    Intel Core i7 6700 2.6GHz which boosts to 3.5GHz as necessary.
    nVidia GeForce GTX970M with 3GB GDDR5 memory
    12GB Ram

I run single screen and have capped frame rates to 59. It has helped but the stutters are still there.

If anyone has a definitive set of settings for rFactor2 (loader and in sim) and nVidia control panel, I'd really appreciate a look at them.

Many thanks, :)

13. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

Me and also a friend have problems ONLY at the start and the first 4-6 laps of multiplayer races when 25+ players are at the server. When field gets a bit more spread it gets better. Could it be the internet connection? Or heavy FPS spikes?

It feels like slow motion when driving, its very hard to control with this handicap.

technical:
    Always 40+ FPS tells me rF2 (i have 3x FullHD). My friend have over 100fps with his single monitor.
    Setting rF2: Show only 12 cars
    I testet with rF2 vSync OR with AMD vSync or even without it.
    Both PCs: i7 4,2Ghz, ssd, 16gb ram, AMD 580 and nVidia 1060.
    Internet connection is 200mBit for me.
    He dont live near me.

TheSecret1 likes this.
  14. Fernando Deutsch

Fernando Deutsch Registered

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

It's kinda funny, scanline sync was kinda what we did in the old days when coding C64 demos - we just didnt have a fancy name for it

Kelju_K likes this.
  16. Fernando Deutsch

I remember those. It still amaze me how much could get off from the VIC-II chip.

WiZPER and Kelju_K like this.
  17. RoWo

RoWo Member

Hi guys!

With bigger grids I have some CPU spikes (the magenta goes up to over 75%) and it starts stuttering. Do you mean, it's my CPU and I have to upgrade or maybe more RAM would help?

(This is my system: ASRock B85M Pro4 | Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 @ 3.30GHz | 8 GB G.Skill | Palit GeForce GTX 1070 Super JetStream 8GB | be quiet! System Power 7 500W | Microsoft Win 10 Pro | @1920x1080)

18. DEK

DEK Registered

And does capping do input lag, or does it give more headroom for your Sytem.

Not that I have issues. Running high FPS with 30 AI on various tracks. Just want to know.

Regards

System:
    I5 8600 @stock 16Gb 3000mhz Ram MSI 370Z Pro MSI 1060 6Gb

19. Fernando Deutsch

No input lag I have been able to detect.

20. JosephBradford

JosephBradford Registered

hey, messing around with a game and when I limit the fps to 120 in this game with nvidia inspector and framelimiter off ingame, its no stutter whatsoever but I can feel a input delay, compared to limiting to 120 fps with rivatuner SS and ingame limiter off,

problem is with rivatuner the picture stutters, it comes and goes in waves basically, but the FPS counter stays the same, its weird and would like to fix the stutters because input-delay wise it feels a lot better this way, between the stuttering that is :D which kills it, tried also limiting with riva to my exact refresh rate, stuttering did not disappear,

any tips? should I try some different prerender frame values or anything? thanks !

Rivatuner download source Rivatuner.com.