Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

Im the same way, I dont like using Smoothing of any kind.

2. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

well, I did like ASW. But Pimax's implementation is useless at least with my settings. The strange thing though is that 60FPS look pretty good in Pimax, which is surprising.

3. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

I agree.

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hello.

I do not know anything about VR.

I'm thinking of buying the Pimax 5K :

Do you think that my PC will be enough to get a fluid game (enough FPS), and with "pleasant" graphics.

I specify that I do not overclock the CPU, because for some obscure reason, all the overclocking fail.

- i7 4770K not OC
    - GTX 1080 OC ~+ 5%, 16 GB DDR3, SSD, good CPU and GPU ventilation.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. Andregee

Andregee Registered

It depends on how many cores rfactor2 uses. But even if it could use 6 cores, you will never see 100% load, because of the hyperthreading of the i7 CPUs wich is not used by rFactor2

6. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

I agree as well and it's too bad. Oculus ASW works so well. PiTool Smart Smoothing creates a kind of "vibrations" in the image especially when things move fast.

I seem to be able to have good results most of the time setting SS at 48%, normal FOV and locking the Pimax at 64Hz. It's smoother than leaving the Pimax at 90Hz as long as the 64Hz is maintained.

Thank you all for the responses. I understand better now and my system seems to be normal then. It's just annoying to waste all that GPU power. It's not even worth upgrading the CPU, I think, because I tried a similar setup with an i5 9600K running at 5Ghz with a 2080 and performance was quite similar as with my 4770k. Just a few fps more.

Assetto Corsa runs great at high resolution and high fps but it's Rfactor 2 that I want to race...

Thanks!
    JF

7. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

Would it be better to deactivate hyperthreading? I'm not even sure if it's still possible to do that...

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  8. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

So with my 4770k at 4.3Ghz and RTX 2080 I can run against 11 GT3s at Sebring with a steady 64fps (locked in PiTool). I get about 60 fps at the start and 64 as soon as the cars move. Image quality is acceptable (SS 48%). You could probably achieve something similar. I find that the image remains acceptable as low at SS 34% for close by objects. Cars in the distance become more block-y though.

I need to set shadows and all other effects Off (except special effects that don't seem to change anything). Track details to Medium. As for Player, Opponents and Texture details, Low or Full doesn't make any fps difference so I leave them at full.

If I remember well, each AI costs about 2fps but I need to redo that test now that I have better settings.

9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Shortly no. IT helps to work on background tasks without loosing performance

10. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

Anyone knows why the "your head is so big it's going through the side headrests" graphical issue is still not fixed? It's really annoying to see fragments of the side headrests in your peripheral vision with the Pimax...

EsxPaul likes this.
  11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh the Pimax fov must be darn good!

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

if I'm not wrong, rfactor uses 2 cores, better oculus ?, while pimax does not have support and has to use the pitools it consumes more resources, with the 1080 it will be good,I think better new oculus is very smooth:):);)

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

i7 series 4 more gtx 1080 works fine, I do not know if pimax is the best option price and performance

14. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I’m looking for the oculus rift S. I think the FOV of the oculus is enough good because real racing drivers have helmet and helmet restricts you FOV. Oculus S should resolve the low resolution/door effect issue.

15. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

It is true that helmet restricts FOV, but at least FIA approved helmets have 180" FOV. Not even Pimax delivers that yet. That said, wearing Pimax truly reminds wearing racing helmet - FOV restricted just a bit.

Pimax isn't perfect headset, but it is pretty good for my use, I won't trade it for anything available, but that's just me, and FOV was my biggest issue with VR from Day1. Unfortunately not even 2080ti can drive it at high super sampling settings, but image looks stunning at high settings. One day...

16. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

It will be interesting to see the valve index with rf2 , this might just fill the gap for me , if not I’m definitely getting the Pimax.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  17. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

The Mysterious performance boost that lasted one race:

I was trying to race at Adelaide yesterday evening and was not able to get a steady 64fps (Pimax). I exited the game and went in PiTool to set the headset back to 90Hz and race with SmartSmoothing (45fps) but did not activate SS yet. Then something unexpected happened. I started the race and fps were at 78fps (instead of the usual 55) on the grid and climbed to 90fps (instead of 60) as the race started. I could not believe it! The image quality was the same as usual. fpsVR was reporting 85% utilization of the GPU (instead of usual 60%) and 30% CPU (instead of 24%). Also, fpsVR was showing Reprojection Ratio under SteamVR SS. This line is usually not there with the Pimax. I was so surprised that I crashed but stayed there for a couple minutes to look at all the stats. Then, I pressed ESC, clicked on Restart Race and everything returned to "normal"; as slow as before. :-(

I really don't know what happened but I spent the rest of the night trying to reproduce the "performance bug", in vain. I'd really like to know what happened and how to reproduce it!!

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  18. Staenker

Staenker Registered

I did some form of mild overclocking to my CPU, that is running all cores at the same multiplier and disable frequency scaling (lowing the multiplier if load is low) and power saving features. If you have a decent amount of cores, 4 or more, disabling hyper threading may help as well. The OS tends to shift tasks around from core to another, if the target core is running on power saving mode, it'll take a few moments for it to deliver full power. The difference in power depends on the CPU, but it can be several GHz.
    I think this helped a lot in my case, would you guys mind verifying my hypothesis?

19. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Anyone else getting a problem with their Rift [as of today 22nd]? Quite a while ago, my Rift would suddenly go black whilst on track and within a few seconds I was dumped back out at the launcher. Sound would continue until I got dumped out. Managed to resolve this and been running without issue for many months now. Today, my Rift has suddenly started doing the same thing. I am aware of recent W10 updates and Oculus updates within the last few days, but was running fine yesterday. Today...….:mad:

EDIT: I have seen the following error message before it gets back to the desktop. "oculus system has lost connection to the display"

20. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

anyone tried out the Rift S yet?