Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. elbo

elbo Registered

Here is an odd behaviour that I am getting lately which causes stutters;
    I start RF2 with OTT set to ASW lock at 45.
    Everything runs smooth, then after roughly 10 minutes of play (time varies could sometimes be as short as 1 minute or as long as 30 minutes) ASW reverts to off which is what is causing the stutters.
    I can see it on the FPS overlay, it is locked at 45 then all of a sudden it shoots up to 80 and starts jumping up and down making the game unplayable.
    Only occurs with RF2, other games do not <unlock> the ASW.
    Re-locking the ASW returns to game to smoothness for a while until it unlocks again.
    I am runnng RF2 with OC, have not tried with SVR

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. Andregee

Andregee Registered

This is a bug somewhere between Nividia and Oculus.
    I already reported this to the Oculus Service in March 2018 and then in June 2018, nothing has happened so far. The whole thing appeared in the Oculus Public Beta for the first time. If you deactivated it, the problem disappeared.
    At some point the changes were incorporated into the standard version and you were at the mercy of the whole thing. The whole thing also has something to do with the Nvidia driver. If you use the MSI Afterburner or tools like Speedfan, which read out the temperature of the graphics card, the problem becomes quite massive and many games are then unplayable with me. If you deactivate ASW and activate it again, it helps with Rfactor2, not with other games, then I have to do without the Afterburner and Speedfan.

3. elbo

elbo Registered

Wow, thanks for outlining the problem, sounds like I am screwed for a good while then...

4. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

@elbo
    EDIT: did testing and edited this post accordingly.

Try this:
    -open Oculus Debug Tool and set pixel density. forget asw setting at this point (whatever the setting is at this point, DOES NOT APPLY)
    -launch oculus software
    -close oculus debug tool (you can open it anytime to check that your asw setting is as it should, after you have set it with hotkeys, and close it again)
    -set asw with hotkeys
    ctrl numpad 1 = asw off
    ctrl numpad 2 = asw off fps 45
    ctrl numpad 3 = asw on fps 45
    ctrl numpad 4 = asw auto
    -lauch steam vr (set everything off there, every tick box. dont set pd/ss there)
    -launch game

Forget ott and oc. steam vr is working much better than oc nowdays.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. simvalek

simvalek Registered

Had the same issue and found the following: apparently there has been a fork of the OPENOVR or OPEN Composite project for racing games especially. You can find it here: https://gitlab.com/TheIronWolfModding/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

txinas likes this.
  6. Munir

Munir Registered

Hi all, im new here. . is this setting still applicable now?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it's only a guide, every PC different , best start at low settings & slowly increase settings to suit

8. Munir

Munir Registered

How about DX11 “open beta ? because i see many new beta. Do we need to choose the latest one or stick to DX11 Open beta?

9. Magus

Magus Registered

NO not Beta. Just use latest version of Rf2

The Iron Wolf and juanchioooo like this.
  10. Numrollen

Numrollen Registered

I have a problem with oculus: the letters while on a track is very different. Inside car setup i can barely read the text.

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Not sure what you mean here but try lowering the resolution in the settings icon of the launcher. Maybe that can help.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  12. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Just tried the 'Display GPU performance graph in headset' [SteamVR] and got a graph in the lower portion of the screen. My question though, is what is this actually showing? I can report that whilst at Silverstone driving the S397 Porsche GTE car, the readings ranged from 6.7 to 7.8 of 11.1 ms [90 Hz]. What does that actually mean? TIA

EDIT: After some searching, think this explains and hopefully, my settings are good [at the moment].
    https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/8bs5ry/psa_use_steamvrs_builtin_frame_timing_monitor/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

a lot still is but it needs updating, will do a full update when new UI released which hopefully will not be long.

I find its best to start with lowest settings possible then increase slowly/test each change
    running with low-ish settings will give best VR experience and help when lots of cars in view etc

AA set to multisample in Nvidia then run at only x2 ,low shadows, low track detail helps alot I find

14. JFRacing

JFRacing Registered

fpsVR reports low GPU and CPU utilization:

I looked to find answers about this but can't really find anything satisfactory. I recently switched from Rift to Pimax 5K+ and also bought fpsVR to monitor fps since I could no longer use Oculus' performance monitor. What I noticed is that fpsVR reports low utilization of my computer even when fps is low.

For example, sitting at the end of the grid at S397 Sebring with 11 S397 GT3 AIs:
    PiTool Quality = 1; SteamVR SS = 48% (Supersampling)
    fps: 60-63
    GPU: 48% Temp: 60ish
    CPU: 30ish % Temp: 60ish
    MaxCPUThread: 39%

I tried at other tracks and get similar results. The fps increases a bit after the race has started but the GPU and CPU utilization don't change much. The case and GPU fans are almost throttling...

Can someone help me understand what is happening?

Spec:
    i7 4770k at 4.3Ghz with 16GB mem
    RTX 2080
    Pimax 5K+ with latest PiTool Beta (121 I think)
    Windows 10

Thank you in advance to everybody for trying to help.
    JF

15. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

I'm following this as well. I've noticed the same thing as well. I never hit 100%. I'm always well below with an 8700k 32gb ram, 2080Ti FE, and Pimax 5k+. I have to downsample as well and I bring it to 60-70% SteamVR SS at Normal FOV, with Pitool 1.0.

16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

There's no mystery. rFactor2 can't load all cores and if an application on a 10 core CPU only addresses one core, then you'll see 10% load and still the CPU limits this application. It's that simple. If the GPU load is below 99%, the CPU is too slow.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  17. Michael Jeffries

I didnt know this. Last time I ran rFactor2 and fpsVR I remember seeing CPU underutilized but i cant remember GPU. I have a 6-core 8700k. SO they split the 100% over the 6 cores I have and therefore I should be seeing 16% CPU Load or less normally?

18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Almost baseless speculation, because I did not profile the game. Specifically with Pimax, CPU pressure is even higher because of higher FOV, which means more objects have to be processed by the CPU, twice (once per eye). I have low GPU loads as well with 2080ti/8700k@5.0ghz. Raising Supersampling increases GPU load, but drops FPS as well.

19. Michael Jeffries

DO you keep it at pitool 1.0 and Normal FOV also? With PP On, I have SteamVR SS no more than 70% and even then I think i'm overdoing it and should be closer to 50-60% SteamVR SS

20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I run pitool 1.0 full FOV. SS 60%-100% depending on conditions. I do not use smart smoothing, I am fine with ~60FPS

Note even normal Pimax FOV includes more 3d objects in the scene compared to oculus or Vive. More objects - more scene setup required (and that's on CPU).

Last edited: May 3, 2019