G27 steering rotation problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by elbo, Apr 24, 2019.

1. elbo

elbo Registered

I am having a weird bug with the steering rotation. My wheel (G27, max rotation 900) seems to reset to the wrong rotation, sometimes mid-race, with the degrees of rotation becoming either way to high or way to low for the car I am driving. This results in the wheel being way too sensitive or too unresponsive with respect to the amount of degrees I turn the real wheel.
    I set the lines as follows in the json file;
    "Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness":30,
    "Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness#":"Harshness applied to bump stop when limiting steering wheel rotation, from 1.0 to 100.0, acts as a spring rate",
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default":900,
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default#":"Default maximum wheel range to use when not read from driver, from 40 to 1440 degrees",
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver":false,
    "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver#":"Whether to read the steering wheel rotation from the wheel driver, if possible",
    "Steering Wheel Range":900,
    "Steering Wheel Range#":"Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)",
    "Steering Wheel Software Rotation":true,
    "Steering Wheel Software Rotation#":"Whether to limit the maximum steering wheel rotation in software",

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You have your settings correct, if you're editing the right file you should see something like this in the game:

wheel range.png

What you describe sounds like a common issue with the G27 and similar wheels, but it's normally a custom rotation in the driver/profiler that is then cancelling itself randomly. Are you using Profiles in the Logitech Profiler, or do you use a global setting? And I assume your wheel is set to 900° in there?

3. elbo

elbo Registered

hi Lazza,
    I dont have profile, use global set to 900 degrees.
    Should I be using a profile instead?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, I found it better to use the global option. I suspected it was game-specific profiles that would sometimes drop out and leave you with the normal default rotation.

So your game shows as above, with the current rotation and the base rotation?

If so I'm a bit out of ideas... that combination should be about as stable as it gets.

When this happens, have you tried to work out what rotation it's changed to? That may help track down the cause.

5. elbo

elbo Registered

yes the game shows that as being checked.
    It usually goes to a lower rotation, i.e. a quarter turn on my wheel makes the virtual incar wheel turn 3/4 of a rotation.
    The way I fix it is to use the G27 combination key for 900 degrees (on the shifter, two center red buttons and the lower black button) which 'reminds' the game that I am suppose to be at 900 degrees of rotation on my wheel. It works but when it happens on an oval just before a turn it pretty much garanties a spin.

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Maybe your JSON has gotten some error in values or some other accidental mess up? Perhaps if its possible to reset it and try?

7. Alessio Feletto

Alessio Feletto Registered

I' ve a similar problem... , look at the steering input between 3-5 sec, keep in mind that i was turning constantly at 90 degrees.

I' ve opened the wheel to check the encoder and fixed the screw because they were a bit loose, i thought had solved the issue but i was wrong...
    These are my Controller.json settings, never touched from long time ago and everything has worked fine until the lasts builds:
    upload_2019-4-24_15-34-51.png
    Realtime logging on public test version:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!At174ImNV7GXhV6szM4hrPCGpiaw

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@elnando8 Just so you're aware, most of the parameters visible there aren't doing anything; you're not using the software rotation, so you're relying on your driver (logitech) to set your wheel lock.

Are you sure you don't have steering help on?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to be sure, yours also shows the 2 different ranges? In my screenshot it shows 576 (900), to indicate the wheel is 900 but the current car is 576 (and the game is limiting it).

10. Alessio Feletto

Yep pretty sure, the only Aids i use is the "auto-cluctch", the strange thing is that everything has worked fine until now... i' ve followed this advice: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....wheel-rotation-not-working.61750/#post-968519, and seems to have solved the issue...

11. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Yeah, I have got this problem on DFGT since... years. It looks like rF2 is losing the "Vehicle Set" range and in random moments resets to driver default (900°). I've worked around this by setting custom range (450) in the driver and Vehicle Set to OFF in the game.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  12. Alessio Feletto

exactly, now i've disabled even the Steam Cloud (i don't know what is saved/synced), because was looking at the controller.json and the change i made in my own "controller.json" (named N27.json), wasn't loaded... so another try to see if this can help the solve the issue...

13. Alessio Feletto

I've done other tests and even with the right profile loaded, following this guide:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....wheel-rotation-not-working.61750/#post-968519
    the issue persists, the annoying thing is that happen randomly...
    I've tested AMS and doesn't have the issue...

p.s.
    i havent made any changes on hardware/software
    upload_2019-4-25_21-38-48.png
    the number between brackets are messed up since a year but as said before everything was working fine

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@elnando8 we're covering two topics here, as software rotation wasn't a direct issue with the OP, but two things:

1. You need to be certain (not 'pretty sure') that steering help is off. Check the Difficulty menu in settings, and/or press F1 while in the car to make sure it's off. (it seems unlikely to be the issue if it's happening randomly, but we want to be sure)

2. Your screenshot suggests you haven't implemented software rotation correctly, as the strange number in brackets should be what the game is detecting - and you should have turned its detection off.

Check each of your settings again, and then also as a test change

"Steering torque minimum":0.02,

in your .JSON file to a different number - let's say 0.30 - and make sure that shows up in the game. That will confirm that you're editing the right file / the game is loading the file.

15. Alessio Feletto

@Lazza

1. I' m sure that the "steering help" is turned off.
    2. I' m seeing those "strange numbers" since a while... at least a year i would say and everything was working fine, i' ve done a lot of races VEC/VLMS and other endurance leagues, never had a problem.

I' ve created a new controller file named "G27N.JSON" starting from the "Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB.JSON", have edited the "steering torque minimum" to -> 0.1, but those numbers are still there.
    upload_2019-4-25_22-56-45.png
    I dont'use any game specific profile, just the global one:
    upload_2019-4-25_23-0-34.png

upload_2019-4-25_23-2-47.png

Look at the video, if i move the camera those strange numbers behaves weird:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, that takes away all those as potential causes then. Hopefully someone is familiar with the same issue and can help.

With the weird numbers, you've been having those since before software rotation lock was available, that's why I was questioning if it was being applied properly.

17. elbo

elbo Registered

I get the number weirdness as well...

18. Alessio Feletto

To be honest i don't remember exactly when the "weird numbers" appeared but for sure it' s not recent.

19. Rastas

Rastas Registered

I have a G27 and works great...so far,but i have issues whit a DFP that i have in the garage :)
    Below are my setting in Logitech profiler and in game.
    Is set to 900 because the car i drive right now as 900 degrees,if i change to another it changes the range to..ex:540,in track also all works great,probably im a lucky guy whit the G27 hehe :)
    3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Whoa those steering wheel range numbers tho. :D Never seen that myself. Although there was an update not long ago and i havent checked after it.