rF2 vs rF Pro

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Karlis Vitols, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

just opened wikipedia and by rF2 there is mentioned rF PRO?
    do anyone knows more about it to coment and explain?
    is it kind a pro sim specialy writen for 'ferrari simulator' etc?
    also what sims real f1 teams use in their simulators? iRacing or rF pro or something special?

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

A short summary of who rFpro are can be found on their website: http://www.rfpro.com/about/ and as you can read there, they are a major player in the professional racing and car manufacturer market. Probably https://www.cruden.com/ is one of their main competitors, who also cater to both markets. It's probably fair to say that most F1 teams will develop the physics part of their simulators themselves, as that is code they don't want to share with anybody. That said, that's just my guess, as you know none of the companies involved is particularly open about what's going on (and understandably so).

3. txinas

txinas Registered

Is espectacular the video.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Wish S397 would license the tracks in rF Pro and get their data and models, already done so maybe would be a faster release?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Will Mazeo even if we assume that would be allowed, the cost may be prohibitive. I'm speculating as much as the next man, but there are usually reasons these things don't happen.

@karlisss thanks for the laugh... F1 teams using iRacing... :D

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

What I wouldn't give for a proper Circuit de la Sarthe!
    That Daytona Road Course also looked tasty.

7. txinas

txinas Registered

I think that all the circuit in the video are very very good recreations of the reality. But do you think that Sebring is do it in the same detail??
    In my opinion sebring is a high cuality track.

I dont see nothing in rf2 with the same detail of all areas in a track.

8. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Yes. Instead of selling a track say £20k each time, rFPro is going to partner with S397 and sell tracks 5€ instead. Sounds like a good idea.

9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Buying assets from another studio/artists happens more than you think so no it's not that much more expensive in most cases. Ofc if you have an art team you may want them to work instead.

Different uses and simplified versions (like laser scan, you wont use it in same level of detail as they do, but then not even when the track is scanned for the customer sim the whole data is used, just fyi, seems like you are not aware) in the customer sim, so yes, sounds like a great idea ;)
    Just like the commercial version of rF2. You do know this exists and is more expensive, right?

10. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

I'm very well aware of what is happening at rFpro, thank you. As was said earlier, there are reasons why your great idea hasn't happened in the past decade, but here's rFpro's email : info@rfpro.com.
    Feel free to tell them why you, random internet guy, thinks a successful company is doing things wrong. If you do this, please report here, because I'm very curious to know how it'll go.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I never said they were doing things wrong rofl :D
    Plus my comment was aimed at S397 looking at the tracks present there, get a license from actual license holders and simply buying the scan data and models from rFpro to speed up content release.
    There is no reason to feel offended over this, it's just a wish from a customer that wants more official content at faster pace (especially tracks that IMO are more important than cars). Have a good day dude :)

Remco Majoor, LokiD and DrivingFast like this.
  12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

When did I allude to that?

13. Dennis Lindblad

Dennis Lindblad Registered

There's "more than meets the eye" to those tracks. The detail is definitely higher, you need a cluster of computers to run the tracks at full resolution.The tracks you run on consumer simulators are scaled down to be able to run on your puny(relatively speaking) hardware. This is something that is normally not mentioned in the marketing of "laser scanned" tracks. iRacing in particular, but also Kunos, likes to use phrases like "mm precision" and "getting every mm" in their marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of iRacing's users actually thinks the tracks they use are mm accurate.

http://www.rfpro.com

Regarding the assets used in rFpro, I'm pretty sure the race teams has some kind of shared ownership of it, so it's very unlikely that they would be licensed for use in rF2. They would probably need approval from all the teams.

An old article about simulators used by F1 teams:
    https://www.racecar-engineering.com/articles/f1/digital-reality-f1-simulators-revealed/

Bjørn likes this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I dont think any motorsport team is spending funds to create grass textures, 3d buildings, trees, cones, etc.......

15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Rfactor pro was previously in the simulation of the equipment of Formula 1, but for some time now each team uses their own, they are very jealous of the data of other equipment, therefore I do not think they share anything, in addition rfactor pro mainly used software aerodynamic, not so concerned with external textures as something so important, and if in the conditions of aerodynamic calculations ...

16. Filip

Filip Registered

Nobody in S397 was aware of this option of simply buying from rFpro because otherwise they would surely do it because it is simple.
    Why didn't you tell them this before, you waited 2 and a half years although you knew this simple solution?
    That is selfish, man.

Please from now on don't refrain from letting everybody know these simple, well-thought and effective solutions because it helps rF2 move forward.
    And please contact someone from the management directly, what if they miss these forum posts!?!

Bjørn and mantasisg like this.
  17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Will do man. Thanks for your concerns :D

Bjørn and Filip like this.
  18. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Don't you just love a bit of sarcasm! ;)

Dookie, Bjørn, Will Mazeo and 2 others like this.
  19. Filip

Filip Registered

Yes, sorry I know it can be dangerous because there are people that cannot read between the lines.

ADSTA likes this.