Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I was in the same race yesterday, and the replay is the Server Replay, that's why there is different name (I had the same freeze I was still on track -1 Lap :) , but no log to provide for me)

2. 4thworld

4thworld

@MaD_King did you had 3rd party plugins on?
    can i have a list of your active plugins if different from the default configuration?

3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@4thworld What is the default configuration regarding plugins? I know that I have a couple of extras running [Like SRT, DAM and TrackIR].

4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

@4thworld
    Yes i have replay recording turned off as i usually do long races, that one is from the server.

Here my plugins
    Cattura.PNG

Dampluging was active but turned off through its toggle on/off key in-game.
    SharedMemoryMap was in use by simhub.
    I don't have a trace sadly, but today is time to race again so i'll turn it on.
    It's a problem if we are using plugins during this test phase or the more data the better?

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

None. Only the default ones set by the game (I'm in VR, I had the same freeze Krusti has).

6. 4thworld

4thworld

@krusti , thanks from your log it seems that your huge freeze was caused by one of the plugins (internal or external I don't know yet, but it's more likely to be a 3rd party one atm).
    So that plugin might have been the same cause of your freezes in the past.
    we don't have control on 3rd party plugins so we don't know what code are they running and we can't guarantee that they are not blocking (causing freezes) at any point of the software execution.

I am preparing a new public-test build that logs % time used for each plugin so we can recognize in cases like this which one is the faulty one by name.

So I would say you can wait for the next build and if you experience another freeze you can post your logs here and we understand which plugin is at fault.

Note for people using external plugins:
    Given the open nature of rF2, plugins are treated similar to internal modules sharing the same priority and real-time responsibility.
    Given the fact that we don't know what 3rd party plugins are doing, you might experience freezes or other issues that for us is not possible to see. So I'm suggesting you and anyone else that is experiencing similar freezes to restore, before doing any other tests, to a default installation of rRactor 2 (without any external 3rd party plugins or modules, external content is ok).
    In this way you are synced with the dev team and if the problem goes away for you, then we found already that it was in some extra app installed and notify the creator.

@Mark Fuller the default configuration for plugins is the one that comes when you do a fresh install and are enabled by default in the game.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    The Iron Wolf and MaD_King like this.
  7. 4thworld

4thworld

@MaD_King are you on the public-test branch?
    I noted your comment, I didn't got to see your logs so I can't tell that it was exactly the same cause as Krusti generating your freeze.
    if you experience something similar again please post your logs so we can help

cheers!

MaD_King likes this.
  8. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

The problem is that i use plugins very rarely, i did a lot of races in the last months where i had only the steam plugin active but i still had freezes, usually 5-10 seconds long, yesterday was a rare exception, i forgot to turn damplugin off before joining the server and i needed a simhud dashboard to manage the fuel as it was the first race with that car. I'll revert to the default configuration starting from today btw and see what happens.

Also, i don't know if it's due to the last beta update but i have issues when loading some tracks, i get Error loading mesh file XXX, loading the replay i posted here as well. Already did a file integrity check.

9. 4thworld

4thworld

@krusti , thanks noted, so it could be caused by an internal plugin, in any case from the next build we'll have a better idea of what's going on in that area on your machine.

If you have other issues, can you make sure they are [public-test] specific before reporting them in this thread?
    In this way we can focus the conversation more on the freezes that this build is aiming to solve.

many thanks!

Rui Santos and Daniele Vidimari like this.
  10. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I'm on the public (opt out) (not on this specific public-test branch, I didn't want to take any risk for a championship race). I switched this morning.

11. 4thworld

4thworld

Build update ID [3755442]:
    - Additional logging information on plugin timings

branch name: public-test
    password : UpERYPhIblEHorTiO
    verify your files via Steam after joining the branch

1. Select rFactor 2 from steam game library, right click and select properties.
    A dialog box with a number of tabs will appear, your looking for one that says "BETAS".
    2. select the "BETAS" tab it by clicking on it.
    You will see 2 things now, a drop down menu and a text box to enter a beta access code.
    3. enter the password provided,
    4. select public-beta from the dropdown menu

12. Mindraiderz

Mindraiderz Registered

So is this logging only useful for online races or does this also take in offline single player races? I've experienced those stutterings of opponents for a few weeks now in offline races. I know my hardware isn't the best but this is a different kind of lagging... It's like teleporting back and forward real fast .

F1Aussie likes this.
  13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Sorry to post a bit 'off topic' again, but i need to get an info related to the 'Use thread' thing.
    You have written that it has to be set in the Contoller.JSON file.
    My question is: do i have to set it in the Controller.JSON file only or do i have to set it in the Controller.JSON file that i use?
    I always have thought that the Controller.JSON file is only in use, when i don't load a specific Controller.JSON, but in that moment when i use a specific one, that the specific one is the only active one.
    So when i use a specific one and change the setting in the Controller.JSON file only, it will have no effect, right?
    I hope it is understandable what i mean?

14. Krevett62

Krevett62 Registered

Controller.json is the file in use others are saved presets.

15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That's not the whole truth i guess.
    When i save my settings in an own controller file like, for example, 'my_personal_controller.JSON' and load that one, that, in my opinion, is the only controller file that is in use, then.

16. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

When you load Controlers/my_personal_controller.JSON, the game save it into Player/Controler.json and use this one
    And automatically save your changes in it when game end. You need to make save manually and indicate my_personal_controller.JSON to get it into Controlers/my_personal_controller.JSON.

17. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@Bernd I think that you'll find that if you change it in the controller.json file, it changes it in your saved presets. I have just checked mine and all now showing 'True'.

18. Davvid

Davvid Registered

No, only one in the profile dir is used. Rest is only presets. If you load your 'my_personal_controller.json' then it is copied to Controller.json in the player profile dir.

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Thank you @all, i've never checkeck/noticed that interaction between my own personal controller.JSON and the Controller.JSON in the player folder.
    I simply thought that the Controller.JSON is meant as a default file and in the moment when you load an own one, that only the loaded one is used.
    Case closed. :)

Marcel Offermans and MaD_King like this.
  20. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

@4thworld (or Romagnoli) maybe isn't related but did you notice if the freeze reports are all with in-game spotter put to on (no matter if during race or not)?
    Some time ago another isi based sim, suffered such freezes (at least very similar as behaviour) and the cause was the spotter plugin hanging while trying to read the related audio files (those needed to be resampled and the plugin reworked).

The Iron Wolf likes this.