Nordschleife

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason Mullin, Feb 15, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

wet snow on the grassy areas would be like an Ice Rink.

2. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Winter tires would melt within seconds of running on dry corners.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well they don't need normal passenger car street winter tires, if aiming at temperatures just around 0 degrees of Celsius. Not -10 or -20. Anyway, that would be good challenge for tire engineers to make a tire that would grip well at around 0 on wet and dry too. Finally it is also down to your driving craft, just go slower if you start slipping too much. Classic tires from pre-downforce era were very universal. Now you have: Ultrasoft - SuperSoft - VerySoft - Soft - Stillsoft - Soft medium - medium - Hard medium - A little bit harder than previus one - Hard - Very hard - Incredibly hard - Diamond hard to race on lava..... And then you have: Intermediate for little bit damp - Wet for few rain drops - and finally there is a red flag... So you have every choice imaginable for good conditions, few choices for worse conditions and nothing for bad conditions. The motorports ignores very bad conditions, while it would be perhaps the most practical for the world if some great inovations would be made there. Perhaps someone would manage to invent studs that would survive races and wouldn't do harm for tarmac, and stuff like that....

Now getting a bit deeper into this, I wonder how on earth there has never been racing series that would race specifically in cold weather. Thats simply area that was completely ignored in the motorsports, apart from rally which goes through everything. Racing tracks are forever freezed and almost unused not generating any profits through cold time of the year. On the one hand I understand there would be less attendance, but on the other hand a lot of people comes to watch winter rally events.

So I am just wondering how does Circuit racing only exists at something like +5C and above, and nowadays got even more sensitive to rain, despite being much safer than in the past. Nordschleife being so huge is especially holding big chances at getting covered with big rain at some part of it. There is such a gamma of tires and compounds, but bad conditions feels unexplored and ignored and unprepared in racing.

I'd love to see Formula E racing in the snow some day or during very heavy rain and not being red flagged because they would be prepared for it lol

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  4. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Have you tried racing in those conditions ? That's really not fun to race under a storm behind someone, and it's even worst without wipers.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am not even talking about fun, but about practical meaning of it. Also it is definitely interesting to spectate.

I am actualyl quite a fan of rain in simulation, and I know that for many simracers it is out of comfort-fun zone... but RL racing is not only about a fun, it is a job also. At the end of the day it is fun when you get it right.

Wouldn't even consider a car to be racing in wet without Wipers and good windshield defog system. Open seaters are ofcourse unfortunate for not having a windshield in the first place.

Felix Boucher likes this.
  6. Felix Boucher

Felix Boucher Registered

Racing in the Rain is probably the most fun i've had. I remember the best GTR2 league races I've had, all had unexpected rain and made things interesting.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

That would be an awesome new feature to release with the track. Random weather and fog in different parts of the track. Is it doable?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I would imagine some sort of virtual random size rainfall cylinder, with particular level of rain intensity traveling around the grid containing rain animation triggering and giving information to real road much like as tire going over it. Easy to imagine anything, but the bugs would probably be unimaginable and the whole coding job to realize it lol

Interesting to think that rF2 has this awesome feature when cars that are not very far away (for example in mores) would create a spray cloud while driving on the straight, which would make some effect on your windscreen rain animations.

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

well, objects overhanging the road seem to stop wet buildup on the road, and no rain zones are a thing. So at worst it might be possible to hack something together, but __*weather*__ it works well or not is not clear at this time

nonamenow and mantasisg like this.
  10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Single player is usually "easy" but for it to sync up in MP might be Another beast. Would be cool feature though. Imagine the foresty parts being in fog while the open areas are not. Plus wetness lying still in lower areas with shadows and forest around them. Awesome stuff.

mantasisg, vegaguy5555 and muzikant like this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Now that you say it like that I'm thinking it would too much for the software but I'm not a programmer. But, oh boy, that would be a big added feature never done before I believe? Unless Project Cars 2 has that?

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes.... online. Online and AI basically.

But thats some nice little dreaming indeed. :D I would imagine scripted fog would not be insane. But shadows affecting drying would be insane.

Thats why programmers are at the top of all this haha Their tasks are incredible.

Wow, totally forgot that. Exactly thats almost the same, just inverted. Cars also has no rain zones, and if you leave a car at one place, you see the proof. And car is a moving object... Now I am simply curious if very large dynamic slowly moving object with rendering and collisions off would work for this.

Felix Boucher likes this.
  13. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Is possible to have moving track objects, like ferris wheels, cars, trucks etc, so i guess is possible to have a moving no rain zones as well (?). Let's say there are some no rain zones which moves around the map and sometimes collides themselves creating different and largest shapes. The question is: is possible to make them move on a random path? I doubt

14. woochoo

woochoo Registered

The weather probably moves in one general direction for most of the time, so combining two groups of no rain zones moving at slightly different speeds and in slightly different directions, overlapping, might give a sufficiently random impression to someone trying to not crash on a wet nords :D Blending that in and out of the rest of the weather system might be trivial or impossible?

If there is an intent to hook rF2 up to real weather the folks at 397 might have a more complex idea in mind

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

It wouldnt be the shadows doing anything but act as a marker OR what about some areas are known to dry slower after rain so its preprogrammed to behave that way on that track? If fog can also be in different places then bob's yer uncle! :D

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hi guys.

Can you remind me for what period is the Nords expected ?

It was scheduled for Q1, but was delayed.

Can you tell me when can we hope to have it ?

End Q2 ?
    Any information ?

Thank you !

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There was no such information. I don't think that there is any chance for Q2.

It is probably hard to predict development time for such magnitude of work needed, especially if there could potentially be the need to do polishing and improvements during the finishing stages, which may be very hard to predict what it would be and how long it will take.

I remember Simone from AC saying that it was insane job to do Nordschleife, and rF2 is more demanding to work with also has much more features.

muzikant and DrivingFast like this.
  18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Information I had from simexpo (due to language barrier, I can be wrong) :

Release for Q1 2019

Then, ROADMAPS INFORMATIONS :

Roadmap Update December 2018 :

"and we announced that we obtained a license to the Nurburgring, which we intend to release at the end of Q1 next year. Also fully laser scanned of course."

Roadmap Update January 2019

"Nordschleife is obviously also still in the works and it looks like its release date will slip based on the first predictions we made, mostly because we got the right scan roughly two months later than expected"

Difficult to know what is the delay.
    That's what I wonder.

muzikant likes this.
  19. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Simone had to work 2 years to make Nords for AC, but he made it alone AFAIK. S397 will surely do it faster.

20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The first estimate by S397 (Q1 2019) seemed very fast.

But they can not have a delay of more than 4-5-6 months (July-August-September), it is possible ?

Anyway, I wish S397 does not bast..... but I can not wait !

muzikant likes this.