What's the Best Wheel for under $800?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by SL1DE, Apr 7, 2019.

1. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I'm in the market for a new wheel after I've been using my G27 since around 2012 or 2013 and noticed that it kind of feels different now than it did when it was new, like it's worn out inside or something.

I actually want a Fanatec but they're quite expensive, like $1,200 for a base + wheel, and three pedals. For that kind of money I'd rather just buy a real car.

So I've been thinking about getting a Thrustmaster T300 since it's also PS4 compatible, but I think they've already been out for a few years... So before making a decision, I am wondering what the community thinks, which is the best wheel I can get for my budget, in terms of feel/feedback, realism? I really don't want to spend more than maybe $7-800 AUD... I'm not rich. And something that will last me another 6-7 years.

Suggestions?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thrustmaster TS-pc OR ts-XW should be well below 800 with pedals. Both are at least 2 generations newer than the 300. There are some lower priced Direct Drive wheels, you might check those out.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Watties! The best wheel for under $800!

Sorry, old joke. What davehenrie said, thrustmaster is generally pretty good, should only need minor maintenance at times.

Having said that, if you've looked into fanatec gear and anything cheaper is always going to feel like a stopgap until you're rich... you might be better off just saving longer (or biting the bullet) and getting fanatec. Yeah, it's another $4-500, but if you spend $700 on something you're not happy with...

F1Aussie likes this.
  4. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Mate I was literally in the same boat as you 3 months ago, I managed to pick up a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 wheel and pedals for $520 AUD. Just look on Gumtree, I've also in the last couple of weeks seen 2 Thrustmaster TS-XW Sparcos for around $600 and a T-GT for $549 which is insane. My advice would be you don't need to buy brand new.

5. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

G29 is a good wheel. Not too expensive and very reliable. It'll keep you going for a few more years.

J Fraser likes this.
  6. jymp

jymp Registered

I'd go for the CSL Elite PS4 F1 bundle, awesome set under 600 bucks

7. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Registered

Not in Aus mate and that's the problem, here it's $889 without shipping, hence why I bought second hand.

J Fraser likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's true, but it's basically another G27, which is fine, but if you're going to spend money an upgrade would be nice. For rF2 especially (and probably other sims as we move on) something smoother than the logitechs is a real luxury.

Not trying to sound morbid either, but who knows where anyone will be in 6-7 years when you might need the next wheel. I say get something nice while you can and are able to enjoy it :cool:

I should qualify my TM statement above - I have a second hand T500 with Ferrari F1 rim and T3PA Pro pedals (though not convertable to GT mode because it's not complete - but I got the whole thing cheap). I had to replace the wheel fan with a Noctua one because it made quite a noise when it spun up and didn't seem to be doing much, and I've had to replace the paddle switches with a DIY solution (mouse buttons if you have spare and can use a soldering iron, work well), and finally I had to replace all the other wheel buttons because they were choosing to either not register a press or register a double press - or occasionally work properly. Not much good for a pit speed limiter button, and annoying on others too.

Add to that, the pedals feel pretty good as is but the brake pedal has some free play in it when transitioning from up to down (or vice versa) and for the moment I've gone back to my G27 pedals while I work out what I'm doing.

So my cheap wheel has needed a $20 fan and $50 of buttons (to be fair I got decent ones, could have gone cheaper) and still needs some work. But the feel is just so much better than the logitech (I had G25 and G27) the fiddling is worth it - and everything's solidly made. If a G27 started acting up (more than the encoder coming loose) it would probably be bin and replace.

Keep in mind you can use the G27 shifter if you can put the G27 wheel base somewhere and plug it in (just no power, so it doesn't spin :D), same with the pedals obviously as that's what I'm currently doing. So you needn't immediately factor in the cost of a shifter if you were going to go that way.

9. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

@Lazza:
    Spend as much money on a wheel as you like, in the end you're only playing a game so it's no more than a 'game controller'.
    My G29 is good enough for that purpose and guess what ... I can even drive for podium places. An expensive wheel doesn't make you necessarily faster. It's purely based on your own imagination and how much money you're willing to pay for it.
    If Nintendo would charge you €800 for their game controller just to play Mario Kart, you probably would put a spell on them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Seven Smiles likes this.
  10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

G27/29 was good enough for Rudy van Buren to win WFG...
    RudyVanBuren.JPG

Marc Brink likes this.
  11. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

It's also good enough for Max Verstappen:
    [​IMG]

Seven Smiles likes this.
  12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

T300 alcantara edition + th8a

SL1DE likes this.
  13. Filip

Filip Registered

What is the rest of your hardware?

14. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

Irrelevant and off topic. Someone asked for an opinion and I gave mine.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  15. Filip

Filip Registered

@Marc Brink
    Spend as much money on a CPU and GPU you like, in the end you're only playing a game so they're no more than computer chips.
    My GTX960M is good enough for that purpose and guess what ... If I knew how to drive I would be fighting for podiums. An expensive GPU doesn't make you necessarily faster. It's purely based on your own imagination and how much money you're willing to pay for it.

16. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

Then I suggest you learn "how to drive".

17. Filip

Filip Registered

Irelevant for this topic.

18. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

19. Filip

Filip Registered

Already have.
    I even have a job as a policeman. Forum policeman

williang83 likes this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Marc Brink I don't know where that came from. I'm well aware properly functioning hardware of any price is capable of allowing competitive driving (more expensive tends to avoid things like pots which can - but don't necessarily - cause issues). A better wheel simply feels better. I don't drive any faster with my T500 than I did with my Logitech wheels, but I enjoy it more.

F1Aussie likes this.