Latest Roadmap Update - March 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 31, 2019.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Thanks for this info Shame this kinda stuff can't be included in the road map, maybe plans or even your wishlists as a developer l.. @Marcel Offermans

F1Aussie and DaREALMastaD like this.
  2. gabrielof

gabrielof Registered

True, frameworks come and go but good code lasts much longer, with solid principles, proper unit/integration tests, etc. Good code can even survive architectural changes if it's decoupled and concise, what's really hard to sell to business and clients, that would rather go for a rushed solution.
    I hope S397 keep calm and deliver a good piece of software that leverages the team to deliver new higher quality features faster. Take your time and it will pay off in the future.

3. Louis

Louis Registered

Id like to read that in 5 years. Will you be proud or will you be ashamed? :D
    I agree. I think also they should invest in being the best/first modding platform in the market. I think its AC now

Juergen-BY likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

based on the comments from the March Roadmap, that seems to be a wanted feature.
    One thing I've never understood about real time weather....I'm in the Pacific NW of the USA. If I race at Bathurst, and use real time weather, I would be racing in the cold cold of night rather than the basking warmth of the afternoon. rF2 has users from all over the world, how do you manage real time weather so that your conditions match the appropriate time of day and not just the Zulu time of the sim track?

John likes this.
  5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Last time we played with real-time weather it just uses the current conditions at the real track, by that I mean we generally race starting at 2000 local time(night time) but the race time is set for 1600 (in daylight), but using the weather at 2000 from the real track, so while racing in daylight if it’s raining at the real track, then it’s raining in game.

davehenrie likes this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The beauty of Real Time Weather is that you could use Historical Data, so skip back 12hours to Race in Daylight on the other side of the world (or 5 years ago if you like!). Alternatively I'd like to see Simple Weather options remain to work alongside Real Time, so you can set your preferred Weather State and then use Random Weather as another Option if you fancy not knowing what's gonna happen.

Emery, Louis and davehenrie like this.
  7. williang83

williang83 Registered

Thanks Marcel! That's exactly what i wanted to read, a statement coming from official sources telling that SP improvements are not off the table. I also understand and appreciate the effort, and priority, to bring MP to another level. Definitely one of the reason i don't MP in rF2 is because it is not as easy as in others products.

Again i appreciate this communication and i'm looking forward to further support 397 with incoming DLC.

PS: I would like to give you my 2cents about the MP. For me, it is equally important how easy and stable is to find a race, the presence of code that punish unclean racers and some schedule program that cover most daytime. I know that competition will deal with the first two problems so that's a great start.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. dazzer

dazzer Registered

I have a query for more informed rf2 MP users, I noticed that when I play rf2 online it is not fluid, it tends to have small cuts and delays, on the other hand when I play in iracing I do not have this problem (I know that Iracing has more resources, not remind me), finally, my question is if there is any plan to improve this kind of thing, which, in my opinion, would greatly improve the online experience.

I ask because the times I played I had that problem and when I saw the 24 hours of sebring I also noticed those problems in the transmission.

I want to make it clear that it is only an opinion, I appreciate the work of s397.

pd: sorry for my English

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@dazzer as a player you shouldn't get any delays or stutters, as a spectator or streaming things could change quite a lot. This thread is targeted at people experiencing freezes as they play and trying to work out what's causing them, so if you do experience that issue you could perhaps help isolate the issue.

10. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Thanks for the ‘expectation management’. Appreciated. Whilst I’m dissapointed that we wont be seeing offline championships sooner rather than later I do understand the need to get a good MP sorted.

I’ll keep hope for better car selection or race series creation. That would be a great help to then use the brilliant external champ tool.

Keep up the good work S397

11. williang83

williang83 Registered

I couldn't disagree more that's exactly one of the issues that made rf2 a very poor product under ISI activities and we still pay the price after years. I understand that being mod friendly is a plus but should never be the main goal otherwise you end up with extremely shallow products just like rf1 and its successor.

Even Kunos understood that offering no complete package (a complete race category so a collection of cars made to compete with each other, car behaviors double checked thanks to a more focused approach, a championship system, maybe even a career, etc...) is bad and indeed they are trying to correct the mistake done in AC.

Luckily 397 is not repeating the same lame mistakes that ISI did, actually 397 are taking exactly the opposite path and it really seems that they want to make sure that rf2 become a deeper product.

Ricardo Diz likes this.
  12. Pales

Pales Registered

No adjustments to AI yet or proposals to address this in future? The last excuse was he/she was working on the Amazon game. That released some time ago, what is the excuse now?

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

sigh

David Kolody likes this.
  14. lagg

lagg Registered

And on what circuits would have we run, and with what cars?
    RF2 would not have survived without the modding.

Louis and ApexModding like this.
  15. williang83

williang83 Registered

Exactly because it was not meant to be a complete package otherwise also a group of tracks that fulfill given series would be included, i thought it was easy to imply that. As matter of fact the only reason why such a shallow products survived was because it was open to mod.

That being said, of course allowing tools for mods is a plus but imo quality > quantity.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

rF1 was a poor product, are we living in the same universe? Yes times have changed, but rF1 was pretty much the most successful PC sim ever released. It was the reason PC sims didn't go extinct from ca 2004-2009. Moreover, it was used as base for countless other games, GTR 1, 2, Race 07, pCars, all Reiza games, etc.

Dookie, Louis, ADSTA and 9 others like this.
  17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

rFactor was the responsible for my entrance in simracing world and buying a wheel. If not, by this time i might be playing need for speed, Forza or Gran Turismo...

18. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

what is so special about rfactor is the fact that almost only software developers play the game. that's amazing ....

Comante and GeraArg like this.
  19. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

The guys from id Software are hardcore gamers as well. The result is the best and most intense FPS. :cool: (And they also have a nice track record with free software.)

20. Filip

Filip Registered

Are you implying that AC was fail? Nonsense.