Latest Roadmap Update - March 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes I guess any earlier release will be good,

-Rfactor2 will be like a whole new piece of software with this update

2. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

One thing makes me believe they'll release it sooner than we think... they need to grab simracers, they need proper ranking, competition and league system to make rF2 shake the charts and bring simracers in. Anyway anything rushed will have the usual complaints of people who doesn't understand that nothing is easy or definitive and they'll improve it overtime as things get together and people give feedback...

3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

One of the things I expected most was the "module"/interface METEO (weather).....

The screen shot I saw displeased me a lot, I hope I'm wrong !!!

McFlex and Rui Santos like this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

So not even a random weather option?
    Oh ffs is this UI adding anything apart from competition mode?

Mike Tobin and Marisa like this.
  5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I don't want to be so negative but if things aren't being added which should be added apart from said online mode. This UI will be considered jusrt a reskin and laughed out of the door from many sim sites, especially how longs its taken,!

We need evolution not a skin change.

Rf2 is so frustrating cause it could be sooo good.having said that. This will never compete with iracing for online play so don't go alienating all your offline players quite so quickly eh?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    McFlex, Louis, dazzer and 5 others like this.
  6. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

If it was just a skin change you already had it one year ago, i'm hoping they're fixing chronical problems with weather for example, like track temp = ambient temp or how that affects the grip and car/tire behaviour...

But this takes time...

Mike Tobin and Adrianstealth like this.
  7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

If people would use their brain a little bit they'd conclude changing this is not a easy task if the dev want to do it properly, especially with the package system, if you want to automate it it needs some work.
    I recommend these guys go watch the dev con video, after that study some C++ -> https://www.learncpp.com/
    I used to get annoyed by the time it is taking, once I studied some of this stuff (and Java + HTML + some server sides languages) I just went silent on this matter.

That said since so many changes are needed going with a new game would be better. Sure would be a big money loss at first since you are not getting anything, but hype sells and rF2 cant generate hype outside its own player base. Make some badass update to the physics, put the tire logic on other areas, if you now need to run CFD to get aero and some engine cooling data so be it :D or design a whole gearbox/clutch system, whatever. With a lookup tables physics can get more detailed, would make modding even harder but in a market where everyone is doing the same you could do it different and more accurate. The default content would bring people anyway if u get the right ones.
    Just my 2 cents.

Rui Santos likes this.
  8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Will, the problem does come from the complexity of the work, everyone understands IMO.

The problem comes IMO from the total time (2 years) which are both huge, but especially the delays are worthy of the pyramids of Egypt.

Sorry for the bad english

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Well, reworking rFactor2 is a HUGE task, it's not only fixing UI or bugs, they almost need to look at every aspect of the simulation to make it more logic for the common user...

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I had to stop reading there. GL.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I can’t only imagine the work load involved

Rfactor2 was all functioning using “spaghetti” code a pain to update or to add/take away things ,
    It’s being converted to a modern modular type system much better

I would hate to think it was being rushed in anyway just to get it out, hope 1st release is fairly seamless thus to be a success

It really will be rfactor3 with the added benefit of keeping total compatibility with all of Rfactor2’s content + upgrade free to us

We have never had so good
    If poss Buy all DLC just to show support

I’m hoping the other mystery x2 tracks in development are also laser scanned

lagg, McKiernan and Spyro like this.
  12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

"
    DrivingFast said:
    Will, the problem does not come from the complexity of the work"

Will ....... I hate google translator.
    The real sentence I meant, EVIDELY:

Users obviously understand the scope and complexity of the work.

What they have trouble understanding are the constantly renewed delays.

When we commit to approximate deadlines, that it does not take 1 year delay compared to the "approximate" commitments (roadmap).

But yes that's a lot complex!

13. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Yes.....and considering the amount of time it's taking and that they keep failing to meet their deadlines, people are expecting it to include everything they're hoping for. The longer the wait, the higher the expectations but I don't see anything extraordinary in those screens.
    I think there will be A LOT of disappointed people once it comes out.

Mike Tobin and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

This!

15. McKiernan

McKiernan Registered

Surely if the complexity of the task was fully understood then so would the delays.

Will Mazeo likes this.
  16. TJones

TJones Registered

New UI is by far more that a reskin, it's a completely different technology behind. It's not only "Designing a UI", they had to make some quite fundamental changes, ensure thread safety for example.
    An "HTML" based UI opens up a wide range of possibilities, it should also be easier/faster to implement new stuff.
    Here's a clip from "Luminis DevCon 2018", Marcel talks about development of rF2 in general and the new UI (starting at 34:54)

Developing stuff is always very easy, as long as you're not the one who has to do it! ;)

GeraArg and Ernie like this.
  17. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

I guess you haven't seen rf2 in the early ISI days!?

18. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

If you start a dedi, afaik there is a random weather option. You can use a local dedi also for "offline" races.
    Never tested it however

19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

UIs are easy to write (compared to real-time code certainly) and I assume all the code that does the heavy lifting behind the scenes (what actually happens when you select a car or change a spring rate) already exists.
    UIs are very difficult to design well but simracing UIs are not new.
    I'm mystified why it's taking so long.

(Speaking as a software engineer with 40 years' experience.)

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  20. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

^ Because of the Amazon project..