Interior and Exterior Details (GT3/GTE/Other)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kashif, Apr 1, 2019.

1. kashif

kashif Registered

So... in the GTE and GT3 cars, there's some information that's just missing in the dash HUD... Like, the purple traction lights in the Porsche and some other information fields in the other cars... I was wondering, is there ever any plans to upgrade that so it's more accurate to how the cars are in real life?

Also, on the exterior of the cars, the reflections on the body, they seem to be limited to 60FPS, so if you're running a higher refresh rate, it's disorienting with everything else looking so smooth, then the reflections looks choppy, could that be fixed?

One last detail I wanted to ask about... you can see in the video...

So, again, you can see that the iRacing version has all the information there.. but another minor thing... the way the rev lights move for iRacing and rF2 are different. You can see in the iRacing version, there's sort of a "bounce" to the lights... as if it's moving more in-tune with the engine revs and "bounces" with every shift... that's another detail which feels missing.

So I'm wondering, does S397 intend to upgrade any of these things?

EDIT - I want to add that I think the cars are really well done overall and fun to drive. I just think there are small things where there's room for improvement. I don't want it to come off as me just bashing S397's work, I love the content and am looking forward to their future DLCs as well.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    mr.Sw1tchblade and Marisa like this.
  2. Marisa

Marisa Registered

I believe the reflections are capped at 30fps, because I have a 60hz monitor and they look choppy since the performance patch.
    I hope they give us the option to change them to be the same as the games framerate in the future.
    The LCDs and shift lights have always been a problem in rF1 and rF2.
    I guess it's an engine limitation so it's up to S397 to remove these limitations.
    Pretty sure I've never seen them say anything about this so it would be welcome to see someone from S397 to chime in on this because it's also one of my main gripes with the cars in rF2.
    I was actually planning on doing a thread about all the things that are wrong in the DLC cars, haven't done it yet because I don't want it to look like I only say bad things about this sim. :p

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  3. kashif

kashif Registered

I think you should definitely make that thread about all the things wrong with the cars. It's important that they know so there's a chance of them fixing it, otherwise nothing will happen.

Can you explain a little of what other things you found wrong the cars? Are they all mostly cosmetic?

4. Marisa

Marisa Registered

There are cosmetic but also FFB and sound related problems.

Compared to AMS and the Reiza DLC, the FFB in the S397 cars varies wildly and there are times were I get seemingly random jolts.
    As the physics guy didn't have much time to work on them, my guess is that there are problems with the steering geometry and since the rF2 FFB is directly linked to the geometry, it can be felt in the FFB.
    Reiza was smart to take their time with the physics as their cars work as expected.

I'm a bit more into the sound side of things because of personal interests so I probably notice a lot more about the sounds than most.
    Afaik, they hired a certain AC sound modder for the DLC cars and the same things that I don't like about his mods are what's bothering me about the DLC car sounds.
    The worst offender is the GT3 Corvette. At a specific RPM range you can hear the samples overlap.
    Another big one is the compressor sounds when shifting in the R8, they don't work like they do in real life at all.

I already mentioned the shift lights and LCDs, pretty much every car is wrong in that regard.
    Will list as much as I can when I make a proper thread about this.
    But good to know I'm not the only one bothered by this.

Good point about making a thread so they know what things are wrong.
    I guess I have the mindset that the guys working on the content should be the ones working the hardest to spot and correct any mistakes but maybe that's not really possible because of deadlines, small staff and budget.

5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I also notice the sound. Worked with audio and Music in the past so its super important to me. I remember when Kunos added front and rear difference in replay and even on track sounds from the cars. When car is coming its lower in volume of the Engine and you hear more wind noise/tire noise, and when the car passes you you hear the exhaust and much louder harder Engine sound. Very nice. Even noticeable on track when a car comes up behind you and when it passes you it gets louder and clearer Engine sound. It adds a lot to immersion.

I have also been a sucker for shifting sounds that sometimes is there but so low in volume. Like a muffled "DUKH" or "DUGH" sound for paddle shifter cars and "KA-DUKH" for stick shifter cars. Nothing extreme but there because its satisfying to hear it when you shift. AC is lacking in this. Maybe they change it. Dont know. But their shifting sounds were there but super low and could only be Heard when you were in idle standing still.

Another one is to hear the transmission whine. Imagine a shaky transmission sound as the car yanks tied to the speed of the car as the transmission sound rise and lower in pitch. One can Dream. :) Would also love dirt on the windscreen building up when you drive longer stints like iRacing. More stuff happening that visualize that things are changing as you race. Again, one can Dream.

Marisa and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  6. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Something that fMod does much better than the Miles sound system is the approach-flyby-departure audio effects of the cars as they pass by. The engine-exhaust sounds of race cars should be much louder and more direct during departure. Reiza was able to improve that in AMS and iRacing and RaceRoom both have customized the sound-engine's to do something similar.

iRacing audio is currently being updated to utilize Xaudio and is already applied to the Skippy; the result is a more authentic organic sounding racing engine, more raw without the distortion that people sometimes associate with immersive racing audio.

I think it's also important to recognize and represent some of the really unique sounds that certain cars make; perhaps intake, exhaust, backfire, shifting, etc. For example: Not all backfires should sound the same and they should generally offer some variation or randomness in how they occur imo.

Alex72 and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  7. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

The thing is that a lot of the things are not "modeled" into rF2. The traction lights, tire locking lights, some additional things on the dash. I hope that they do come eventually. There is plenty of other additions than can be added (downshift protection), but it hasn't been brought up in any kind of road map and nothing has been mentioned within the modding information.

avenger82 and Alex72 like this.