Latest Roadmap Update - March 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

lagg, mister dog, Neawoulf and 23 others like this.
  2. williang83

williang83 Registered

I'd like to understand whether or not rF2 is moving away from SP. The new UI doesn't hint anywhere whether or not it will offer any sort of offline championship.The more i read about the new UI and competition the more it seems that multiplayer is only what 397 want to invest their resources. This is kind of ironic since iRacing that made of multiplayer their only gameplay is finally investing in SP experience

I hope i'm wrong but nothing seems to hint that 397 has any intention to improve offline experience, eg. ai that is capable to actually use diversified pit strategy and tire compounds, offline championship with actual consistent drivers skills that requires no file editor.

Emery, John, unrealnoise and 7 others like this.
  3. williang83

williang83 Registered

Also things like AI that is actually sensible to car damage. Recently i had the opportunity to see an open wheeler with no wing being able to delivery the same performance of those with wing

John likes this.
  4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Yummy!
    The remote engeneer feature is an awesome idea! Looking really forward to this new UI, the camera controls for broadcasting also is a really nice addition.

@williang83
    I think is fair to assume that single player in a sim, in this age, can't really be a priority when there are other aspects to improve. Simracing and esports are growing really fast. iRacing can afford to focus forces on other aspects for now, and single player is completely missing there, it is not a good comparison.

It would be absurd to see the studio investing 1-2 years, money and resources in SP while MP is the core of simracing.
    I'm sure some SP fixes and improvements will come, but later, it can't be otherwise.

TOCA2FREAK, Ho3n3r, Spyro and 4 others like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Great roadmap !

Couldn't find time to listen.... oh wait... have to listen to the podcast ! :D

Looking forward for new UI, seems like things are getting there. I am sure it is going to be so much better, it is so obvious. I wonder if everythign will be better, or there will be some sacrafices, like I don't see monitor in the setup menu, but it is insignificant over huge improvements in everywhere else.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

as much as I don't want to believe this, it totally makes sense. Me being a mainly offline racer, (hoping the new RF2 online can fix this) I dont want this to be true....

DrivingFast and Mike Tobin like this.
  7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As krusti allready pointed out, it is pretty obvious that MP has the top priority right now as the SP is working ok. Not perfect, but compared to iRacing or other products you can have some decent offline action and my guess is that the biggest part of rF2 userbase uses the SP alot more allready than the MP for various reasons, that got touched in the roadmap. That you have more options for session settings in the new UI, should tell you that the offline part isn't forgotten. And what isn't there, can still be integrated into the new UI when needed. That was the whole point in moving to a new UI.

mister dog, Corgan and McKiernan like this.
  8. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Like the new pics of the UI, one thing regarding the car setup screen though: Would be nice if all the categories (like brakes, suspension and so on) could fit on the screen so we don't have to scroll to access some of them.

Emery, Ernie, Ho3n3r and 7 others like this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Nice screenshots on that roadmap, but dont all cars look kinda blue? Reflection seem to pick up a lot of blue so that every car looks blue. Maybe its the reshade or sweetfx used that pick up more of it. UI looks great though. Looking forward to that!

mister dog likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Could be the time of day. The second racing shot shows several blue cars and the shadows are hard to the right, indicating very late in the day. A few shots further down are much brighter and have very little shadow. Noonish.

11. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Once again, nothing much for modders. One question. When is the modder documentation for new materials going to be available. It was coming soon in last months update. When a 3rd party is able to release paid content with this system, then the system itself must be ready for public release.
    The competition/UI while looking promising and some of the features being added are great; I think 2 things will hold it all back:
    1: fragmentation of player base due to all paid content on the server being needed to participate. I pointed out in another post that if you look forward to the Nordschleife release you could see a scenario where you would need up to 5 different paid content packs to race 1 vehicle on 1 track. The obvious example of a way to do this is iRacing, but it is possible with ISIMotor in the form of R3E.
    2: fragmentation of official content quality. While I can understand the physics not being updated, I believe the visual quality should be transferred across all official content. Licensing should not stop you from updating official content to current graphical standards, nor should it stop you from fixing physics issues, like adding the QSA fix to official content. As suggested in another post, if the material system documentation and really any modder information(tyre examples, spreadsheets etc) was released and kept up to date, or even a vehicle and moddev files were updated; then modders may assist by updating content that their communities use and submit it to S397 for official release (if quality is upheld of course)
    I would appreciate to hear the developers thoughts on this.

John, felirrari, McFlex and 3 others like this.
  12. AlenC

AlenC Registered

From shown, it seems the UI has the same options (for the most part), but perhaps arranged better.

To clarify, I was hoping for better weather controls: some pre-made scenarios (or option to make them), maybe even real weather. Also what I'm missing a lot right now is to have more information on cars and tracks while selecting them: I'd like to know the author, version, maybe a description from workshop...

Other than that, UI looks pretty and it will be great to have multiplayer option in the "main" game. Who knows, I may even try it out for once! :)

13. Risto Kappet

Risto Kappet Registered

I echo the previous poster that while its good you make the sim more beginner user friendly, do consider that the drivers are mostly adults, not toddlers.
    Put some data in there. Atleast make an option of "simplified" and "advanced" views, with the latter being the current version so that we dont have to scroll 10 half empty pages to reach something.

Marisa and d0nd33 like this.
  14. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Registered

I wonder if there will be some sort of carstat being implemented in the new ui, as the actual carstat tool is useless for official content since the files are encrypted. Right now it's hard to tell the optimal brake/tyre/engine temps, min torque, max power etc; it's a bit of a gamble how to set up the car properly. I haven't read anything about it so far, so I hope it'll be something else in the pipeline. It would be a great help.

TOCA2FREAK and Risto Kappet like this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There are so many interesting points about new UI and upcoming online systems, it is hard to digest. Coming backwards from the end of roadmap.
    • Workshop and store directly from UI
    • Finally making us aware if server has all UI, or there are real players lol
    • More information about server
    • Matchmaker
    • Team mate tweaking setup realtime while you hate the car to make it better :D
    • Monitor for race action (apparently just not showing in UI previews ?)
    • More information in the standings list
    • More controls over cameras (probably from standings menu)
    • Signing in to competitions
    • Racing skills ranking (Will Smith looking from binoculars and saying "thats hot")
    • Protest system ! Must attract a lot of French people. (Joke, I'm sorry France has this problem)
    • Improved car and track selection
    • New material system integrated
    • Color indicating of setup changes
    • Sending setup to your team mate
    • One launcher for SP and MP
    • Browse forums, news, and stuff !
    • Tweaked options with some help and context added
    • Tweaked session settings
    Thats a lot of improvements ! Also it looks nice.

Dookie and br444m like this.
  16. NicoNard

NicoNard Registered

It can not be the new interface. Hey Studio 397, invest in a UI Designer or ask to the commuity

I SAY NO TO THIS :
    [​IMG]

felthat likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Don't see anything wrong there.

I saw some good feedback that some space seeems not to be used. But fonts ? Contrast ? icons - yuck ????? :D No wonder I dislike most of the new games UI, my taste must be entirelly different that UI designers have.

If for some reason contrast could be an issue for some people with worse vision, then I'd agree that there could be an option with different clour/contrast scheme.

This new UI looks classy.

F1Aussie, Filip, Magus and 2 others like this.
  18. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Poor gray colourblind ppl :)
    S397 pls add some colour to buttons at list. I feel like iam running linux mandrake, not pc game.

19. Depco

Depco Registered

Now THAT is a roadmap. Thanks for the deep dive into where the new UI is. It Seems like it's probably still a ways off. But at least we have a better idea of the changes that are being made.

Ozzy and br444m like this.
  20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I dont see anything wrong here, even wish actual sites would follow this model lol

I agree with comments about some parts being too empty. The garage screen could have more related stuff in the same window, even if you are comparing setup you dont need all that space

Alex72 likes this.